Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H trouble calibrating compass

Reaction score
While trying to calibrate my compass on the H I kept getting a purple over orange flashing light. Not sure why the orange light at this point in the process? Even though I had waited for the Almanac to fill ( new area ) it seemed that until I let it sit for awhile longer only then did the orange light go out. Aircraft flew fine on its first flight.

Hmmm... the compass is not associated with the Almanac that I'm aware of. The GPS populates the almanac. Calibrating the compass does have be completed in a minute or so. If not complete in time it will err. Just repeat the calibration more quickly. If that's the issue. I'd have to look up the light signals.

If the calibration is completed successfully the H startup up tone will be heard. Also, to increase the speed and fluidity of the rotations (and protect the gimbal motors), remove the camera when performing the calibration.

Reactions: rdonson
Yes, do what @Eagle's Eye Video says, remove the camera first before doing the compass calibration. It will also take a LOT of stress of the gimbal.
Your right Ron. The Compass and Almanac are two different things. I just used a poor choice of words to describe what was happening. When I check the light signals I can find no logical explanation for the flashing orange at this point. I always remove the camera and props before calibration. I let the drone sit out in the open for a little longer and the orange light stopped flashing. Steady purple over flashing white so, after calibrating the Accel I flew and the aircraft was rock steady even with a little breeze blowing. After the flight I checked the Telemetry file and it showed all normal parameters and no compass warning.

@wings for S's and G's... try rocking the H forward to put it in bind mode, and see what color comes up... I think bind mode is the only one that shows orange... if other than orange in bind mode, would be indicative of a bad LED status indicator that will need replacing.

When I get a purple over orange LED, the ST 16 tells me to "please land in Angle mode immediately and then do a compass calibration"

so basically a compass warning?

When I get a purple over orange LED, the ST 16 tells me to "please land in Angle mode immediately and then do a compass calibration"

so basically a compass warning?
This is what I saw during my calibration attempt also. How does this come about and exactly why does it appear?

I see that when I'm close to metal. Sometimes it can be a submerged/buried pipe on the ground. Sometimes a car. Sometimes when I'm flying only 20' above the ground in certain areas. Sometimes on a concrete pad with lots of rebar in it.

If its brief and I see no anomalies as I fly I ignore it. If it persists then I land, take off the camera and perform compass calibration making sure the front of the aircraft is pointed north with my smart phone turned off.

I had the mode switch inadvertently pulled down to RTH when I tried to start the engine (predawn flight). The engine would not start. The result was a blue and orange flashing main LED light and the message "please land in Angle mode immediately and then do a compass calibration" Compass calibration did not change the situation. Called Yuneec Service, the technician walked me though a rebinding process (several times) before the orange light would disappear. Everything was then normal.
Just my experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elysiabrown