Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H Wont fly in a straight Line

Reaction score
From new I noticed the my H wont fly in a straight line going forward it always veers to the right, but if you come back in reverse it will fly in a straight line.

Now the last few days I have been experiencing this GPS Acquiring issue,since then I carried a full re calibration process and re binding several times, now the H can still sit there gps acquiring for 10 minutes or more at times, but my concern since this gps acquiring issue its now very noticeably veering to the right more acute and wont fly a straight line without a lot of correction, but it still flys backwards in a straight line without any correction being fed in.

Also since this issue I have experienced for the first time loss of wifi signal when lifting the undercarriage up, put it back down and it regained signal after a few minutes, put it back up but this time it was ok.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem or problems could be would be most appreciated I want to avoid sending it back to Yuneec CS if possible.

From new I noticed the my H wont fly in a straight line going forward it always veers to the right, but if you come back in reverse it will fly in a straight line.

I don't know about the Typhoon H yet, haven't had the issue. However, I had the same issue with a DJI Phantom -- exactly as described. To fix, I re-calibrated the control sticks and re-set the stick bias to factory settings. Then I re-adjusted to my liking. Problem went away completely. I'd start with stick calibration and bias to ensure they are at factory settings -- hence a re-set.

Some people on this forum thought I came up with the phrase "Toilet Bowl Syndrome" when in actuality it has been a term used to describe a DJI Phantom that has a compass calibration error.

The problem you are experiencing is called the "J-Hook Syndrome". Don't give me credit for the title as it has again been used to describe what occurs when a DJI Phantom does not fly straight. Do a search on YouTube or Google for J Hook and you'll come up with lots of help. Here is one of many videos showing a demo of the problem.

Reactions: humboldt 707
You are going to need to send it back to Yuneec. I had both the J-Hook and Toilet Bowl syndrome. I had done multiple compass calibrations at different locations, I did multiple accelerometer calibrations even using a carpenter's level to ensure I was truly level.

I called Yuneec and they suggested I re-install the firmware update. Which I did from downloading a new copy of the firmware. No luck. It would not hold position and would even lose altitude when going moving forward.

Whatever this issue is, its seems to be one of the more prevalent/common issues. I wonder if Yuneec will ever tell us what the root cause is...

Now the last few days I have been experiencing this GPS Acquiring issue,since then I carried a full re calibration process and re binding several times, now the H can still sit there gps acquiring for 10 minutes or more at times, but my concern since this gps acquiring issue its now very noticeably veering to the right more acute and wont fly a straight line without a lot of correction, but it still flys backwards in a straight line without any correction being fed in.

Also since this issue I have experienced for the first time loss of wifi signal when lifting the undercarriage up, put it back down and it regained signal after a few minutes, put it back up but this time it was ok.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem or problems could be would be most appreciated I want to avoid sending it back to Yuneec CS if possible.

Some people on this forum thought I came up with the phrase "Toilet Bowl Syndrome" when in actuality it has been a term used to describe a DJI Phantom that has a compass calibration error.

The problem you are experiencing is called the "J-Hook Syndrome". Don't give me credit for the title as it has again been used to describe what occurs when a DJI Phantom does not fly straight. Do a search on YouTube or Google for J Hook and you'll come up with lots of help. Here is one of many videos showing a demo of the problem.

It may be my mis-understanding of the problem as what was described is that it flies out drifting to the left, but comes back in a straight line. This was the issue I experienced and corrected with stick calibration and bias -- it wasn't J-hooking at all. But good to know about this. Thanks

Excellent Capt, I just wonder with all this awesome research and technical tinkering you do,do you have time to fly?

Yeh guys thanks for all your help and suggestions, I don't feel so bad sending it back to yuneec for service knowing this and I just tried out today the standard collision avoidance that does not work although it shows a green icon stating ready its certainly not detecting anything in front in turtle mode going forward slowly or in a hover.

I should have said in my first post that I had already checked the sticks for calibration they are all zeroed where they should be, and I even went into the channel settings to make sure nothing was amiss but all were ok.

On checking that video my H is far more pronounce veering off to the right its almost goes off at a 45 degree angle.

So I guess I before sending it back I should check every feature on the H is working or not.

Yeh guys thanks for all your help and suggestions, I don't feel so bad sending it back to yuneec for service knowing this and I just tried out today the standard collision avoidance that does not work although it shows a green icon stating ready its certainly not detecting anything in front in turtle mode going forward slowly or in a hover.

I should have said in my first post that I had already checked the sticks for calibration they are all zeroed where they should be, and I even went into the channel settings to make sure nothing was amiss but all were ok.

On checking that video my H is far more pronounce veering off to the right its almost goes off at a 45 degree angle.

So I guess I before sending it back I should check every feature on the H is working or not.
I tested my collision avoidance with a large peice of butcher paper attached to bamboo poles,it worked flawlessly several times,sorry for your troubles.

I tried testing with a large lipo bag on a pole, tested against a large tree trunk slowly approaching and holding a backpack up, my assumption perhaps with this not working because its indicative of a malfunction of the gps unit.

Regarding loss of signal when raising the gear. It's very possible the gear can temporarily block the RC antennas when in motion. One of the 2.4 antennas exiting the H is taped to the side of the body by a warning sticker, which a probably not a good thing. Removing the tape and moving the antenna off the side of the body may be helpful. The second 2.4 antenna is almost directly behind a gear leg above the gimbal mount and a slight re-positioning of that wire to assure better exposure to the transmitter would not hurt any.

Regarding loss of signal when raising the gear. It's very possible the gear can temporarily block the RC antennas when in motion. One of the 2.4 antennas exiting the H is taped to the side of the body by a warning sticker, which a probably not a good thing. Removing the tape and moving the antenna off the side of the body may be helpful. The second 2.4 antenna is almost directly behind a gear leg above the gimbal mount and a slight re-positioning of that wire to assure better exposure to the transmitter would not hurt any.

Strange thing is its never lost the signal before until this issue I'm experiencing now, but thanks I will try that if it occurs again.

I had the same problem. Would veer off to the right when trying to fly straight. Also had the toilet bowl problem. Recalibrated several times. On my third flight, the toilet bowl circles did not allow me to land straight down and the drone flipped over, breaking three props, the camera mount and also burned up a motor, apparently trying to run when it flipped. Thank God, BestBuy listened to my story and took it back. Just got a new one. Haven't flown it yet but hopefully this is a problem for only a very few birds.

I just flipped my H doing the toilet bowl effect trying to land. I'm not to happy with the H. The first time it did this is re calibrated everything still did it. Sent it back to Yuneec they said I crashed it which I did not. Now this time I did crash it. About 12 inches off the ground it did the toilet bowl. Tried to correct it then it jerked real hard and flip. Yuneec needs to fix this issue and stop acting like it's not an issue. Checked the motors one has a bearing noise now so I ordered a motor and blades. See how the flight goes when I fix it. If not maybe load a video of Remington 870 vs Typhoon H

Remove the sticker over the antenna. There is no need to tape the antenna to the side of the aircraft and that could degrade signal at some angles. You don't need to keep the warning sticker either.

I just flipped my H doing the toilet bowl effect trying to land. I'm not to happy with the H. The first time it did this is re calibrated everything still did it. Sent it back to Yuneec they said I crashed it which I did not. Now this time I did crash it. About 12 inches off the ground it did the toilet bowl. Tried to correct it then it jerked real hard and flip. Yuneec needs to fix this issue and stop acting like it's not an issue. Checked the motors one has a bearing noise now so I ordered a motor and blades. See how the flight goes when I fix it. If not maybe load a video of Remington 870 vs Typhoon H

You have telemetry, download it and get with customer service. If you sent it back once before and they said you crashed it, they said so because the telemetry established it had been crashed.

Send it back,
Yuneec will never admit it, but they have had a bad batch of GPS boards.
They replaced mine, and only problem I had is when it bricked during the firmware upgrade.
You may have to make several phone calls to get a supervisor, but DO NOT let them off the hook.

Thanks PatR. The loss of signal problem when LG goes up seems to have gone away but I will carry out your suggestions anyway.

Did this ever get resolved, from day 1 I've had my H refuse to fly in a straight line, always veers off to the right slightly, it's frustrating when I have to compensate during filming. I don't have any other issue such as signal loss or toilet bowl effect just the veering issue. I chalked it up to it being a Hex but having found this thread I'm wondering if there's more to it.

Did this ever get resolved, from day 1 I've had my H refuse to fly in a straight line, always veers off to the right slightly, it's frustrating when I have to compensate during filming. I don't have any other issue such as signal loss or toilet bowl effect just the veering issue. I chalked it up to it being a Hex but having found this thread I'm wondering if there's more to it.

It should fix itself after about 5 mins of flight time just by flying forward about 50+ feet, than backwards 50+ feet, then right 50+ feet, then left 50+ feet. It won't fix itself forever, but it should resolve the problem for the time the Typhoon H is powered on. The only real fix is a proper compass calibration. If you've done many (which I assume you have) and it still doesn't correct it, then the problem is either a misaligned compass or problematic GPS or it may be something else (possibly your ST16 calibration perhaps).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval