Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H3 doesn't correct my HPlus issues

Reaction score
Recent video review of the H3 :

In the last 1/4 of the review the video is directly from the ST16 controller while flying, showing the different camera, video and cruise control options.

My two biggest issues with the HPlus, and why I ended up selling it, are 1) the pixilation of the video transmission and 2) the video freezing while the still images are processed. Both of these issues directly effect my ability to control the aircraft in the close proximity surroundings I fly; as David Douglas Duncan said, "get close, then get closer".

The pixilation, especially during the very last part while landing and in reasonable close proximity is very bad. You cannot even make out the vegetation 10 yards away. I actually think the HPlus and the H3 video feed is worse then the H 480 (but I don't have one around any longer to test again).

And it appears the video freezes during image processing. Not as bad, but it still does appears to. I don't know if the hyper lapse option will still freeze (that would be very bad).

The good : cruise control is back. I really liked that on the 480 H. That may help to motivate a purchase if the camera is as good as it seems.

It is interesting in that I really like the 480 H and the HPlus as an aircraft. The issues are the very outdated auxiliary components required to fly and to enjoy the experience : video transmission, support of the model, etc. Yuneec is several technology generations removed in those areas.

Reactions: Mike Irish
Can elaborate on the outdated auxiliary components?

Can elaborate on the outdated auxiliary components?

Sure, thanks for the question.

These are my observations on product components that are packaged to form the complete product. These components are critical to the overall product. Each one mentioned is effectively the same from the 480 H or the H Plus (three to five years); that is miles in engineering and packaging improvements seen in this sector. This is not a rant an any way. I prefer the H Plus aircraft to other products. I would not have sold mine if the video pixilation and freezing transmission issues did not exist.

To start with, the entire ST16 controller relative to new packages is big and clunky. It is somewhat hard to get into a comfortable flying grip/position after using the DJI or Autel controllers. It was an excellent smart controller - the first? - five years ago. We see in the constantly improving competition better technology choices and packaging for smart controllers. Probably three technology/product generations behind.

From DJI, adequate control and video transmission several years ago morphed into split modulated transmission channels in Lightbridge with better information bandwidth and reliability to the refined Occusync. Best in class. If sticking with more traditional transmission bands for control and Wifi for video, then Autel has at least improved extensively. Two technology generations behind for control and video if considering 2.4 for control and Wifi for transmission; four to six technology generations behind for other control and transmission solutions.

Props and ESC's have improved since the H Plus came out 3 years ago. Quieter and better flight times. Same with prop technology. Two technology generations behind.

Zero battery improvements since the original 480 H. At least attempt a bit more capacity. I don't mention Smart batteries as I am not sure of a true benefit, but from a manufacturer of a Premium product, well, they may want to tick that consumer box.

It really is beginning to look like Yuneec does not product engineer in house any longer. If the camera came from Leica engineering, it is about product integration into the existing platform. I don't actually see any new product engineering from their end. There is support engineering in the form of software for the new camera, and bringing back into the software prior concepts such as the cruise control from the 480 H. But no new Yuneec engineered concepts or improvements.

I really want Yuneec to succeed and this product to be awesome. I really would like to own a flying Leica (my Leica M3 and M4 are in the closet).

(removed 'half the buttons are not wired up').

Last edited:
Yes fair comments, the only one I don't agree with is "half the buttons not wired up" it's just the AUX isn't it? But it is wired in just not doing anything, as the guys altering the software to PX4 have discovered, but the rest is correct, I suspect it's lack of money which is forcing down this rocky road.

Zero battery improvements since the original 480 H. At least attempt a bit more capacity. I don't mention Smart batteries as I am not sure of a true benefit, but from a manufacturer of a Premium product, well, they may want to tick that consumer box.

Actually I am very happy that Yuneec is not using smart batteries. They can be very annoying since they pretend to be broken after having been discharged only a little bit beyond the threshold. In aproximatly 95% of the cases they are still perfectly fine. For example it is common practice to disassemble the DJI batteries, charge the battery and put them back together. It is unecessary, annoying and does not offer you any advantages outrunning the disadvantages. It is only a little easier to take care of your batteries.

To start with, the entire ST16 controller relative to new packages is big, clunky, and half the buttons aren't wired up. It is somewhat hard to get into a comfortable flying grip/position after using the DJI or Autel controllers. It was an excellent smart controller - the first?

I love the ST16. In my opinion holding it is very compfortable. Way more compfortable than those tiny DJI Mavic controllers. But I have to admit that I have very large hands so it might be difficult for people with smaller ones. The screen has a good size and the image is visible even on a very bright day. Like @Mrgs1 said, there is only the AUX button not wired up.

Like @Mrgs1 said, there is only the AUX button not wired up.
And it is “wired up”, but has not been assigned to any function on the aircraft. You can see it change state in the Hardware Monitor.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
To start with, the entire ST16 controller relative to new packages is big and clunky. It is somewhat hard to get into a comfortable flying grip/position after using the DJI or Autel controllers. It was an excellent smart controller - the first? - five years ago. We see in the constantly improving competition better technology choices and packaging for smart controllers. Probably three technology/product generations behind.

If you're used to DJI or Autel controllers then the ST16 would seem huge. Many Typhoon pilots, like me, appreciate the large screen and not having to donate my phone to being the screen for the controller. YMMV

I chose to use one of the "Transmitter Trays". It makes the ST16 very comfortable and easy to deal with. Check out the link below.

I don’t mind the size of the ST16’s.....I use Ty’s Tray and it’s like a part of my body.

The DJI controllers aren’t too bad. I use the Polar Pro clip on holder for my Mavic Air controller and it’s less than a 30 second ordeal to mount the phone and plug it in. For my Mavic 2 Pro, I have the Smart Controller and it’s brilliant. I’m also a gamer from SNES —> Genesis —> PS —> PS2 —> Vita —> Xbox —> Xbox360 —> 3DS —> XboxOne, so the DJI controllers have 30+ years in my hands.

...I suspect it's lack of money which is forcing down this rocky road...

^^^^Pretty much explains all the behavior we’ve seen from Yuneec lately ^^^^

And it is “wired up”, but has not been assigned to any function on the aircraft. You can see it change state in the Hardware Monitor.
Yes and the Thunderbird incarnation deals with that, it can be assigned to whatever the users wants. You just have to pass over to the darkside.

If you're used to DJI or Autel controllers then the ST16 would seem huge. Many Typhoon pilots, like me, appreciate the large screen and not having to donate my phone to being the screen for the controller. YMMV

I chose to use one of the "Transmitter Trays". It makes the ST16 very comfortable and easy to deal with. Check out the link below.

Having big hands I find it very convenient, nice sturdy feel, don't want all the hassle of a smartphone to connect, but it's just my feelsngs, I like how it's spread over a large area, I'm not good at small intricate screens and buttons.

Ditto!

I find, when going from the ST16 to the Mantis Q controller, my hands have a tendency to cramp. I also appreciate hardware buttons and switches. Old school, I guess.

Give me the information via the screen. Don’t make me have to “touch” too much. I can flip switches and turn knobs without taking my eyes off the aircraft or surroundings.

Jeff

Yes and the Thunderbird incarnation deals with that, it can be assigned to whatever the users wants. You just have to pass over to the darkside.
The what now? Thunderbird? Is that an American thing? I haven't heard of it on this side of the pond.

The what now? Thunderbird? Is that an American thing? I haven't heard of it on this side of the pond.

Reactions: DroneCalzone
The ST16 certainly could be significantly smaller if they simply had a folding screen, it could pivot from top, have a safety protective plastic nubbs to keep screen OFF the controller part.

How many non P&S cameras have had this sort of things for many years - canons can pivot all around, are touch sensitive, so the signals needed to update the screen are easily small and can be very reliable for many years.

but the self protection of the drone itself could certainly be improved.

and of course the distance of reliable control but especially video could certainly be improved, yuneec just use a simpler video protocol than do the more advanced dji drones, they can go many times further and NO video breakup.

so no aperture control, no optical zoom, and no real improvement of video quality signal over distance - all would be improvements that PROs would certainly appreciate - even us low life mere mortals would like RELIABLE video signals in all circumstances - no need for 3 miles, how about just mile ?

Sorry, do not see the H3 fulfilling any professional video purposes, kinda seems like a costly thing that really does not improve the 1" camera H+, am i missing something ?

but all who have an H3, enjoy them !

so no aperture control, no optical zoom, and no real improvement of video quality signal over distance - all would be improvements that PROs would certainly appreciate - even us low life mere mortals would like RELIABLE video signals in all circumstances - no need for 3 miles, how about just mile ?

Aperture control isn’t really all that & a bag of chips. Do I use it on the L1D-20c? Yes, but for only very specific circumstances. The sweet spot of that camera is f/5.6 and that’s where I do 99% of my shots. I’m not gonna minimize it though, I am a bit “desirous” for the Leica camera on the Typhoon hex platform. I really like my Typhoons and having that camera would be nice. Is it ego? Yep. I’m a photographer and having Hasselblad and Leica in my Bag o’ Trix would be nice. If I was a Portrait Photographer and had the means I’d base my business around an H6D-400c.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way it's going, it won't address any issues, the copters will be in a trunk in the attic, never to see the light of day, and just a hard disc of memories.

fine if ego then waste your $$, but my ego is always, is it an improvement and better and afaik that is still an unknown, just having a 1" (are they the same sensors) and good lens is a step forward, but an aperture control at least on ground (manual) but why not in air would remove need of costly ND filters and all inherent issues with them like color cast, flaring, weight etc.

nope, function before name for me !

besides some Leica are just Panasonic except for ?? !

but then the cam processing & quickness (fps,etc) is also needed, so is the expensive Leica better even at that ?

photography is all composition and then pic quality, seen some great cams take crap pics, same for video, no improvement then never worth the $$.

my ego is fine w/o waste of $$.

Aperture control isn’t really all that & a bag of chips. Do I use it on the L1D-20c? Yes, but for only very specific circumstances. The sweet spot of that camera is f/5.6 and that’s where I do 99% of my shots. I’m not gonna minimize it though, I am a bit “desirous” for the Leica camera on the Typhoon hex platform. I really like my Typhoons and having that camera would be nice. Is it ego? Yep. I’m a photographer and having Hasselblad and Leica in my Bag o’ Trix would be nice. If I was a Portrait Photographer and had the means I’d base my business around an H6D-400c.

at least for the 'pros' thought/hoped to use it.

The way it's going, it won't address any issues, the copters will be in a trunk in the attic, never to see the light of day, and just a hard disc of memories.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio