Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 Aquired - Newbie questions

Reaction score
Received my H520 package and had a few clarification questions to the group.
Just got my H520, sour weather so no flights or calibrations yet.
I've updated the Firmware but really haven't explored or examined the DataPilot yet.
Inside house, I'm getting 13 satellites; but I've noticed, maybe due to being inside house but the maps are slow to open and tiles are missing. Granted, the craft traveled from GA to IA. too.
I understand DataPilot is the main controlling app on the RC, and I've read it's on the PC / Mac notebook too.
In creating new missions, is the RC app an independent self standing app or is it dependent on the PC/Mac Notebook DataPilot & sync data to the RC App?
Similar to how UgCS operates, core is on the Notebook side.

Also noticed the USA Yuneec site and GB Europe site contains different material & content for the H520 & downloads.
Is there a preferred source for downloads, the GB Site?

Updated the Firmware
Camera E90 1.0.39a to 1.0.61A
Flight Control 1.4.9 to 1.6.5
Gimbal 1.39.6 to 2.40.3

Noticed on GB Site, it's H520 FW AutoPilot 1.8.0 - 1.6.5
Do I need to use the 1.8.0 instead of the 1.6.5

DataPilot
RC Android 1.5.10.14
Win OS 1.5.0.1
Mac OS 1.5.0.1
Is the Notebook side of DataPilot make any difference if Windows or Mac? Does it run perform / operate better on one or the other?

In the case of any Yuneec AC... being in the US, you need to use the American firmware, to be in compliance with FCC regulations. Likewise European customers should use the EU firmware.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
After absconding with the pretty good deal you got for this kit (presuming, after seeing the "sold" post BEFORE the "for sale" thread), you, @Dougcjohn actually expect us current H520 owners, who just may have been looking for a backup kit, to sit down, go through your list, and help you, especially before you sit down and read the manual?

Just jerkin' your chain! Could not resist the opportunity for a dig. :p:D:eek:

@Eagle's Eye Video is spot on - do not pay attention to those behind the curtain or across the pond. Stay home for all your firmware needs.

The only item in your "list" I can answer at this time is about the maps: this has nothing to do with where your ST16 is positioned. It has everything to do with connection to your internet. The maps are downloaded via WiFi, connecting your ST16s to your network.

To make sure you do it right, reference the H520 manual with respect to the map downloads. I can't quote from memory, sorry. I just "do it".

Besides, it will give you something to do before @arruntus and @claudius62 wake up from their naps and chime in.

Good luck!

Jeff

P.S. Are you a Hawkeye, a Cyclone, or something else?

After absconding with the pretty good deal you got for this kit (presuming, after seeing the "sold" post BEFORE the "for sale" thread), you, @Dougcjohn actually expect us current H520 owners, who just may have been looking for a backup kit, to sit down, go through your list, and help you, especially before you sit down and read the manual?

Just jerkin' your chain! Could not resist the opportunity for a dig. :p:D:eek:

@Eagle's Eye Video is spot on - do not pay attention to those behind the curtain or across the pond. Stay home for all your firmware needs.

The only item in your "list" I can answer at this time is about the maps: this has nothing to do with where your ST16 is positioned. It has everything to do with connection to your internet. The maps are downloaded via WiFi, connecting your ST16s to your network.

To make sure you do it right, reference the H520 manual with respect to the map downloads. I can't quote from memory, sorry. I just "do it".

Besides, it will give you something to do before @arruntus and @claudius62 wake up from their naps and chime in.

Good luck!

Jeff

P.S. Are you a Hawkeye, a Cyclone, or something else?
I let'er sit for about a month... but wasn't seeing any grabs. We came to a nice agreement, maybe more positive on my end. It was a nice kit, new condition and a outstanding Seller to work with too.

On maps... I had RC setup with E90 and WiFi. While on my home wireless I thought I'd examine the OTA. I'm normally not a fan of OTA upgrades but thought I'd try it to compare with other plafforms and it worked very nicely. My Hm ISP is 250meg speed and performs very nicely. The map downloads appeared to start then stop. It was a quick play 1 night... I'll settle down now and look over the documents.

On school... family has Iowa, IA State and Drake. IT BS from Drake, then contined on down to Az State Univ. The Game nights can be entertaining.

Nap? Where? When? I would have liked it :D I'm half sick and I'm just setting up the new hexacopter to try it out this weekend that I'm finally going to have two days of good weather. 15 days waiting for the quick release propellers kits, the first ones I bought, on the table made the propellers come out shot against the ceiling :mad:

@Dougcjohn is the same version, the last one is 1.6.5. Regarding where to download them, the only thing that changes by zones is the version of the camera as @Eagle's Eye Video has told you. You have to install the US version.

The number of satellites to be captured by the drone has nothing to do with downloading maps. To download maps you have to have connected the ST16S to an Internet connection. Neither does the bandwidth you have contracted, as long as it is decent, but the amount of data provided by the server you're connecting to, the map provider, bing, google, etc. .... If they are slow, the download will be slow. It happens, don't worry, it's not up to you.

The application is independent of the RC or PC. Or you do it in one or the other. If you do it in PC then you have to pass it to the RC. Although there is a small difference between the ST16S and the computer version, with both you can create missions in the same way.

I go back to the cave ?

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
You know the saying, sheep that bullet, mouthful that loses. In this case, applied to the nap ??

With a bit of luck, if the little time I have allows me, I'll also take the H520 and try the Roi @claudius62, the truth is that I wanted to do more tests apart from that, but a lot of things in my head and I don't remember what they were :rolleyes:

Good evening Arruntus, I have not yet managed to test the ROI that I explained, always this **** wind, still tomorrow 50 km / h with gusts to 70. If you can do it, keep me informed. I hope next week will be more lenient. I can not wait to try it.

Observations & Questions to the Group....
First off...
Got the H520 out & up Yesterday, Sunday for 1st familiarization run. Was a cool 40F with 10-20mph gusts. Not an ideal day, but not overly weather crappy. Performed all the calibrations prior to lift off. Incidentally, noticed if attempting to start motors without props, it errors with lost prop, 5 motor mode, lost prop, then disarmed.

First, gotta say in comparison to the H480 Pro, Impressive! The H520 is smooth; take off is gentle, no jump, just smooth and feels like it’s responding to stick input linear to your movement. No difference if 2” or 30” off deck, it’s smooth and resettles back to ground as smooth as it took off. Haven’t seen a 480H ever that smooth! Powers off quickly & easily, fires back up & lifts repeatly nice and smooth.

The several short flights were nice stable well behaved flights, again no negatives... Nice control

It might be my ears, but I was impressed again. It audibly sounds much quieter than the H480. It’s at a different pitch, but I’d even venture to say close to Mavic 2... maybe lower. Or it may have been the cold gusty wind making more noise than normal... don’t know yet, but when it warms up I’ll do some audio tests with meter on both new platforms.

Had a little surprise, was purposely bringing down a full pak... was hovering 6-10” off deck in side yard near my home & cars getting ready to land when it suddenly lifted off for a RTH maneuver. I had previously heard a few battery level warnings, but nothing else. Looked down at screen, no message to cancel/override. She was heading for gutter or car roof, flipped it into manual mode and brought it back to yard... it appeared to still be fighting controls, or my maneuvers prior to manual placed it in odd orientation to correct.

Questions... and no haven;t read the manual yet... had to get a 1st flight in first. :):rolleyes:
1) RTH mode, is there a quick cancel?
2) S16 still painfully slow boot time to Start Up!
3) Loading maps; the downloads are Slow!
4) Locally downloaded maps, what’s best method... to assign to screen. I’m accustomed to other platforms being blazing fast to present maps & coordinate position.
5) When zooming in on map, several were blurry lacking detail. I was eventually able to obtain clear detailed satellite layer. This area does feel clunky that could be optimized.
6) On map, 2 icons representing copter... the normal icon and a purple icon with a Q looking detail on top.

Overall, behaved and flew great!
If the H-Plus is similar in behavior, I can understand why many have expressed a major improvement in the behavior and flight of the Plus.

Off to examine manual...

1) RTH mode, is there a quick cancel?
2) S16 still painfully slow boot time to Start Up!
3) Loading maps; the downloads are Slow!
4) Locally downloaded maps, what’s best method... to assign to screen. I’m accustomed to other platforms being blazing fast to present maps & coordinate position.
5) When zooming in on map, several were blurry lacking detail. I was eventually able to obtain clear detailed satellite layer. This area does feel clunky that could be optimized.
6) On map, 2 icons representing copter... the normal icon and a purple icon with a Q looking detail on top.

1) You switch to Angle and RTH quickly or the other way around and regain control. However, if the battery level is not so low that a Land is already running and lands yes or yes.
2) It's a little lazy, yes, hehehehe.
3) Depends on the supplier. Sometimes Google maps fall asleep. It happened to me yesterday too, but in this case in Mission Planner.
4) It depends on the provider, not on the application you use. Sometimes in seconds and other times it stops and starts downloading again 10 times downloading a few KB at a time.
5) if the maps are blurry it is because it has not yet finished downloading them completely.
6) The drone and the home?

@claudius62 yesterday it was impossible for me to carry the H520 to test the ROI mission. All in a hurry and running. The wind wasn't very strong but enough to disturb the calibrations of the new bird. On 2 occasions it started to rain slightly, with all the equipment out.........., in the end it turned out well and satisfied with the tests, but without time to play with the H520. And I say in a hurry and running because they give bad weather for the whole week :mad:

1) You switch to Angle and RTH quickly or the other way around and regain control. However, if the battery level is not so low that a Land is already running and lands yes or yes.
2) It's a little lazy, yes, hehehehe.
3) Depends on the supplier. Sometimes Google maps fall asleep. It happened to me yesterday too, but in this case in Mission Planner.
4) It depends on the provider, not on the application you use. Sometimes in seconds and other times it stops and starts downloading again 10 times downloading a few KB at a time.
5) if the maps are blurry it is because it has not yet finished downloading them completely.
6) The drone and the home?

@claudius62 yesterday it was impossible for me to carry the H520 to test the ROI mission. All in a hurry and running. The wind wasn't very strong but enough to disturb the calibrations of the new bird. On 2 occasions it started to rain slightly, with all the equipment out.........., in the end it turned out well and satisfied with the tests, but without time to play with the H520. And I say in a hurry and running because they give bad weather for the whole week :mad:
On #6... The Home was also visible too. There was a Purple round icon with a "Q" at the 12:00 position. I've looked through the apps and haven't noticed anything that would represent it, was curious as to what it meant but not critical...it'll flush itself out soon enough I'm sure.

On #5... Not sure on the download being the issue, it was on the default selection smaller KB size Map. I don't think it was even downloading it, I may have triggered it the other day.

Overall, I'm actually impressed how different it is from the H480 H-Pro. I was expecting a similar behavior and it's much better in all facets.
Several with the H-Plus on same airframe have expressed the same.... the H-Plus is so much better behavior than the H-Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis