Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 batteries

oh I made a grave mistake on the dead camera unit and removed the internal cable from the mainboard and camera gimbal connection. it flew but oh boy did it malfunction in mid flight emi errors compass errors rear led yellow light that went flashing red in flight. green on ground then 45 seconds later flashing red with error beeping like when you pull the compass cable from main board and power up unit. and that with the props not running.

Can the H480 electronics really handle the 17.2V in flight?

Yuneec's products use proprietary and closed specifications, no precise technical data is provided to answer this question directly. Only Yuneec could answer. The other option is what Terrence Davidson says, to try it but there is a problem, we are putting more voltage than it is designed for and that can result in the smoke of death.... :(

Normally there is always room for manoeuvre but well... we are out of the official specifications......

Last edited:

Rayray as you like to make us suffer :p

I'm sure you have a lot of information that you can share with us and prevent us from having to speculate or discover it for ourselves.

There's a list of questions and maybe you can answer some of them and avoid me asking them ;) You or Bob or... it's the same...

Reactions: zandoli
the only reason I even think of do it is that I have 2 h480 one that is little crippled no camera abilities and one fully functional perfect working order. I going to use the crippled unit for testing on. There are other mods I think of just working on logistics. just need three remote radio frequencies that do not interfere with typhoon h control 2.4 and 5.8 and are not all common in one particular area. and are of short range. and three momentary constantly open relays wired in series. the relays go on the drone.

There's only a 0.6 voltage delta between a fully charged 480 battery and a nominal voltage 520 battery. It's common to find an allowable tolerance of several volts for electrical components used in RC and multirotor systems

We have already seen a video comparing the flight times of both aircraft with the H480 battery. It would be nice to see the same but now with the H520 batteries :)

I just did it last night, the 520 batteries work just fine in the 480. And I'll see what questions I can answer.

I think the most important question is flight time. Making the comparison as in the video of a stationary flight at about 2 or 3 meters high to avoid the ground effect until the RTL is activated and lands automatically. A day with a calm wind would be ideal for obtaining comparable data.

Thx Bob :)

I think the most important question is flight time. Making the comparison as in the video of a stationary flight at about 2 or 3 meters high to avoid the ground effect until the RTL is activated and lands automatically. A day with a calm wind would be ideal for obtaining comparable data.

Thx Bob :)
When the wind dies down below 10 mph on next Saturday, I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: arruntus
You or Bob or... it's the same...

Thanks, but not at all the same. Bob520 is the real thing, he has been testing and flying 520s "Officially" for weeks if not months.:cool:

Bob is the author of the Owners Manual and the Maintenance Guide. Me? I'm in the boat with you, @arruntus.:rolleyes:

Thanks, but not at all the same. Bob520 is the real thing, he has been testing and flying 520s "Officially" for weeks if not months.:cool:

Bob is the author of the Owners Manual and the Maintenance Guide. Me? I'm in the boat with you, @arruntus.:rolleyes:

I have very long teeth already. At the fair i can only turn on the aircraft and I could barely see the transmitter because it just ran out of battery. There were only two units and they couldn't be touched but as I was talking to the salesman I let myself take liberties ;).

Later I was talking to another well-known seller and he received all the units in preorder and by September 5th he had envied them all. He still haven't received the ones he ordered later. He told me something funny, kept one of the units to himself. Because a good customer insisted so much, he ended up selling it to him. He is also very eager to try it, he didn't even have time to fly it :D

Unfortunately we are seeing that so far very few lucky owners of the new aircraft are sharing information. We are lucky, we have Haydn who has done us a good review and Bod who is directly involved in the development of the product and some others that gives few signs of life in the forum (Hey, don't fall asleep :rolleyes:). Suffering lasts us a little longer, if we have endured until now........no problem ;)

I'll try not to move too much, let's not turn over the boat that the temperature starts to drop and it's getting colder :p

Just sharing some H520 battery data after flights and charging for any interested in such things. Voltage readings from digital multimeter, individual cells and total pack V were independent readings, not calculated.

Pack A Voltage (V)
Pre-flight: did not check
Post-flight: St16s Flight V = 38% Pack V = 15.56
cell 1 V = 3.89
cell 2 V = 3.89
cell 3 V = 3.89
cell 4 V = 3.89

After full charge fresh off charger
Pack V = 17.31
cell 1 V = 4.32
cell 2 V = 4.32
cell 3 V = 4.32
cell 4 V = 4.32

Pack B Voltage (V)
Pre-flight: 17.18 (sat overnight after charge)
cell 1 V = 4.29
cell 2 V = 4.29
cell 3 V = 4.29
cell 4 V = 4.29
Post-flight: St16s Flight V = 30% (Low batt Warning) Pack V = 15.04
cell 1 V = 3.76
cell 2 V = 3.76
cell 3 V = 3.76
cell 4 V = 3.76

Impressed with how every cell pre/post flight was perfectly balanced. Not sure what the recommended "safe" level voltage per cell is on these LIHV batteries? I use to run down to around 3.3-3.4 V per cell on normal LIPO's (4S packs).

Reactions: arruntus and PatR
Good information, thx mate

The lower limits are the same as in LIPOs. 3.3V per cell is the lower limit and below 3V is to kill the battery. The only thing that changes is the upper limit that can be raised to 4.35V per cell instead of 4.2V.

It's true that seeing the data perfectly balances all the cells, that's good. Making a rule of three the lower limit 3.3V would be equivalent to 26.33% and 3V would be equivalent to 23.93%. This data doesn't suit me very much, I always prefer to look at the voltage directly.

With the H480 I know the people have fought a lot to see the battery in percent. There is no way to show the battery in volts on the H520? I consider it more reliable and especially more "professional". It's probably because I'm used to it :rolleyes:

Reactions: ArltTech and PatR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20