Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 Complete Power Failure(?)

UPDATE: Good News.

It took several weeks...but I got Yuneec USA to agree to repair my H520 as a warranty repair. The nearby shop in KC (KAV Services) apparently isn't doing Yuneec work anymore...so ended up sending everything back to Vertigo Drones (who I am very pleased with). It did take almost 6 weeks to get everything back, but I once again have my H520 AND a new (refurbished?) E90 camera. All at no cost (well...I purchased a backpack to facilitate the shipping back...I have a big hardshell case...but I wanted a backpack anyway). So...VERY happy Vertigo Drones customer. I should give a shout out to Yuneec USA too...although the process of "finally" getting them to approve the warranty work and number of times I had to schedule tech calls was "more than" a pain (not kidney stones painful...but probably root canal painful).

So...getting ready to fly my first mission of 2020. Ready to be back in the air.

Now...I just have to resolve a pesky Wifi disconnecting problem when I'm trying to do Software updates. But I'm gonna start a NEW post for that issue. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong on that on...I'm guessing its "me" not the system
So...VERY happy Vertigo Drones customer

Before you all jump on this testimonial, I am not a happy customer after my experience with them. Very briefly, 520 flew fine for several missions with a friend of mine. No issues. Done flying. Every thing packed up in hard case. Drove home. Put case in my office. Next morning I took out the 520 from the case, connected to my computer to download the logs. Nothing happened. Disconnected 520 from computer. Inserted battery. Powered on after turning on controller. The usual startup tones were pretty anemic and sick sounding. Got a picture on the controller but could not capture the picture. Camera controls inoperative. Tried to power off the 520. Would not shut down until I pulled the battery. Sought advice from reliable sources. Same file sent to me from each to insert into camera and power on 520. No success. I am now guessing the 520 mother board died during the night the 520 sat in its case. Decided to send in as I had upcoming need for the 520. Went with Vertigo. I was told I would get a call when they figured out the problem. Never did. Then got an email saying still awaiting authorization to repair. Repair what? Went on their website and while looking around went into my account. Found they already had started an invoice where it listed new motherboard, labor, firmware. Believe estimate just under $400. I called and explained I had not received their promised call and yes, go ahead with repair. The next day I was informed they had a “new and improved” estimate. Seems like something in the camera was also screwed up and needed replacement. Estimate now $700+. I asked how they could tell the camera was wonky if the 520 could not be started. They bench tested it. Explain how a 520 functioning nominally today now has major problems in both the 520 and the camera, apparently developing between shutdown and startup about 18 hours later. No answer to that one.

When I had explained I noticed the problem while trying to download the u logs from the 520 I was told you can’t do that. You had to download logs from the controller. I explained to the “expert” that the t logs come from the controller and the u logs from the 520. And, yes you can do it as I had done it previously. He put me on hold, presumably to go ask someone if I knew what I was talking about. So they “repaired” the 520, updated the firmware, supposedly test flew it and returned it. I initially took it outside and at minimal elevation checked control response and took some pictures and videos. Seemed ok. Few days later I flew a couple of mapping flights. Everything seemed to be working but next day when I tried to download the telemetry from the 520 we were back to square one. Sent it back to Vertigo. Their initial thought was I had uploaded something that messed everything up. This made no sense. Being a veterinarian, I would tell you that if I were presented with 2 dogs that had the exact same clinical signs, I would be thinking that the 2 dogs had the same problem. Supposedly, after asking me if I had updated the firmware - why would I have done that, they had just done it - they said they would call with an update and get permission to repair. Now wise to their ways, I kept checking my account. Soon saw they had updated the firmware and that was it. I wonder why updating the firmware would not have worked when I had the initial problem. So now I have a $300+/- bill for diagnostics, labor and $50.00 to update the firmware. During the first round they charged $25.00 to update the firmware. Since they don’t call in spite of saying they will, I called and asked Yanni why they were charging me $25.00 more to update the firmware the second time around. I was told they gave me a “break” the first time. They didn’t have an answer when I asked why I was charged anything for the firmware when it is free online. I told Yanni I needed to speak with a manager as I believed I should not be paying anything. I told him that were I the decision maker there I would have apologized for the inconvenience, promised to prioritize getting it “repaired” and back to me, at no charge, “and if you have other issues or concerns, here is my telephone number. He thought maybe they would only charge me for shipping. I asked him to think about what kind of customer review he would like. Day or so later got an email saying they would not charge me anything. Frankly, I still believe I got taken.

I have flown about a dozen missions since getting it back. So far so good

I have also dealt with Terrestrial Imaging. Far superior business. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to make use of their services the first time around.

Aren’t you glad you didn’t hear the long version!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis