Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 crash power failure

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced the same power failure problem as me?

I was flying my drone for 10mns when it just dropped out of the sky. There was no warning on the RC. It just fell like a stone and crashed.

It was less than 10 metres high and 10 metres away from me. All updates and calibrations had been performed prior to flight. The E90 is smashed. The legs are broken and one propeller arm is damaged. The battery was still in the drone with a corner of the casing damaged.

Please let me know if you have experienced the same problem.

Thank you

Last edited:
I wonder if velco strap around the back of the battery would take care of this one.

Very funny, I pay 2000 Euro for a drone and have to strap it with velcro to keep it from crashing!

You could call it the Velcro Drone.

:)))

It's clear that there is a huge design flaw in the H520 which can make the drone crash at anytime and/or a manufacturing error with the batteries. Scary for such an expensive piece of equipment used professionally!

Last edited:
just thinking of a workaround fix granted should not have to be done. other fix would mean opening to the h520 and checking the location where the power plugs mate the battery to see if there are any fractures that can cause the main plug to detached from the battery just enough to depower the plane with battery fully inside. or at the tailend of the battery with the battery retention mechanism failure at the frame area that is cracked or abnormal warned down inside of the h520.

Last edited:
To everyone who had about the same issue with the h520. I need detailed pictures of the h520 mainboard on both sides that have had sudden crashed in flight. Want to check a few things out. to rule out other factors

I’m only trying to give a suggestion and have no experience with the h520. If your drone didn’t get damaged in the area of the battery and compartment, can you disassemble the drone just to the point where you can see the terminal connection of the battery? From there, if at all possible, you may be able to wiggle test the connection to see if it fails while the battery is fully locked. Again not sure if it is possible

Has anyone else experienced the same power failure problem as me?

I was flying my drone for 10mns when it just dropped out of the sky. There was no warning on the RC. It just fell like a stone and crashed.

It was less than 10 metres high and 10 metres away from me. All updates and calibrations had been performed prior to flight. The E90 is smashed. The legs are broken and one propeller arm is damaged. The battery was still in the drone with a corner of the casing damaged.

Apparently according to the customer service team of Yuneec in Germany there is a design flaw in the H520 whereby you can put the battery in take off, fly and then the power connection inside the drone will break sending your 2000 Euro H520 drone into a plunge.

Please let me know if you have experienced the same problem.

Thank you
This sounds like a carbon copy of my crash event, I was 2 minutes into my flight 80mtrs away and around 30m high. They have completely replaced my drone having had all the pieces back - no questions asked!! - I have not flown the replacement drone and am thinking to sell it

This sounds like a carbon copy of my crash event, I was 2 minutes into my flight 80mtrs away and around 30m high. They have completely replaced my drone having had all the pieces back - no questions asked!! - I have not flown the replacement drone and am thinking to sell it

The interesting thing would be to know the reason why you have been replaced. I'm sure it's not for the same reason they told him. Otherwise they would have replaced him as well. The problem, and it has also been discussed here, is that you are not the first to be given a replacement drone and you are not given any kind of explanation of why it has failed. Did they give you any kind of explanation?

Reactions: biltno
The most probable cause of inflight shutdowns remains to be an unlocked battery. This is true of the H480, H520 and the H Plus. I believe that some people lift the lever after the battery is locked in place. Releasing the lever does not re-lock it. The only sure method to re-lock a battery after lifting the lever is to pull the battery and reinsert it.
I understand that many people here will have a different view. I accept the theory that another cause is possible in rare cases. However, I maintain the lock works well when done properly and consistently and, if not, is by far the most common cause of power failure.

The interesting thing would be to know the reason why you have been replaced. I'm sure it's not for the same reason they told him. Otherwise they would have replaced him as well. The problem, and it has also been discussed here, is that you are not the first to be given a replacement drone and you are not given any kind of explanation of why it has failed. Did they give you any kind of explanation?
No explanation, I always follow my pre and post-flight checks so I was always confident that it was not pilot error, I did doubt myself for a few hours when some though the battery was not seated sufficiently but was able to clearly recall the 'click' sound you get when the battery is secure.

No explanation, I always follow my pre and post-flight checks so I was always confident that it was not pilot error, I did doubt myself for a few hours when some though the battery was not seated sufficiently but was able to clearly recall the 'click' sound you get when the battery is secure.

That is the problem, that we lack information and in this case although the "symptoms" may seem the same, there are many possibilities that are not.

There were several falls because the IMU failed, the drones were replaced without explanations or anything.

Just because you here a click doesn't mean it's secure! You need to visually check it!
If your not totally satisfied with those two methods, turn the H sideways battery down and shake it.
Make sure your camera is still secured though.

Just because you here a click doesn't mean it's secure! You need to visually check it!
If your not totally satisfied with those two methods, turn the H sideways battery down and shake it.
Make sure your camera is still secured though.
It's a good job we're not discussing cars here lol ....

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
My drone was replaced. i guess it was just a faulty battery.
Not necessarily. Yuneec has replaced thousands of aircraft under warranty where there was no indication of mechanical or electrical malfunction. The problem (from a warranty standpoint) with the lock is there is no switch or indicator to document whether or not it is locked.

anyone besides me check the battery lock mechanism on the battery itself as a part of preflight checks for warn or damage parts (the lock tab and spring)that can contribute to sudden power loss at any time.

Can’t say that I check for wear, but I do check for proper installation. Well, most of the time.

I had a “holy crap” moment a few weeks ago upon landing after a very quick and short [distance] test flight. Upon landing, I noticed the battery sticking out about an eighth of an inch. Yikes!

That won’t happen again!

Jeff

Last edited:
Unfortunately the owners of the H520, we have this handicap very present and more because here have paraded too many testimonies of colleagues who have had this problem. It is sad, if this is the case, that it continues to happen. Remember, always, always, check 2 times that the battery is firmly attached ?

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval