Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 fell from skies above!!

Keep in mind that everything is not a matter of badly installed batteries. We have several cases in the forum that is due to a bug in the IMU that proves that the drone falls like a stone. Those case that Yuneec has verified that the IMU is the cause, has proceeded to replace the aircraft.

It is in our hands to check that the battery is properly set and secured. If the IMU fails, it's up to Yuneec. It's a manufacturing defect, just like the batches of E90 cameras that went wrong. The big difference is that they replace the shredded aircraft and they didn't change the defective cameras, something that in my modest opinion they should have done.

Keep in mind that everything is not a matter of badly installed batteries. We have several cases in the forum that is due to a bug in the IMU that proves that the drone falls like a stone. Those case that Yuneec has verified that the IMU is the cause, has proceeded to replace the aircraft.

Several?

I was wondering the same thing, 10-8.

“Several”?
I was wondering the same thing, 10-8.

“Several”?
I know I have seen 1 verified case here, but didn't know if I had missed 'several' others? And it wouldn't be a 'bug' as that would imply that every unit would have it. But a rare IMU defect would be more likely, as is possible with anything manufactured.

As far as I know at least 2 in this forum and a third is not clear to me. They have been given a new H520. They said so. Anyway, I get information from other sites and not just from the forum. From people who manage the Yuneec warranty and yes, there are more cases of faulty IMUs. That's why I'm talking about several. And I say this because you can not always blame the pilot. Not to put the battery well is a bulge error, it serves as a reminder to all of us that we must do well, that we must comply with the precheck protocol of the aircraft.

You have to check the logs to see if it is a hardware error and therefore send it to Yuneec and not resign yourself to losing the aircraft and doing nothing. That was the point of my post.

As far as I know at least 2 in this forum and a third is not clear to me. They have been given a new H520. They said so. Anyway, I get information from other sites and not just from the forum. From people who manage the Yuneec warranty and yes, there are more cases of faulty IMUs. That's why I'm talking about several. And I say this because you can not always blame the pilot. Not to put the battery well is a bulge error, it serves as a reminder to all of us that we must do well, that we must comply with the precheck protocol of the aircraft.

You have to check the logs to see if it is a hardware error and therefore send it to Yuneec and not resign yourself to losing the aircraft and doing nothing. That was the point of my post.

Thanks, arruntus.

I don’t think anyone is implying to do anything but explore all options. That is to include a thorough investigation into the underlying cause(s) of any major mishap.

We don’t want to see a pilot penalized for a failure out of his control, as well as we don’t want a manufacturer blamed, let alone expected to foot the bill should pilot error be the significant factor in any mishap. The latter includes the ultimate decision making as to whether to fly in the first place, given environmental issues such as weather, structure, or interference.

As has been stated many times in this forum... we all learn from each other, whether it be failures or notices as to pre-flight and in-flight preparedness.

Still learning!

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 10-8
Hi Fullnoise,

I recently(2 weeks ago) had a similar problem with my, fairly new H520.
I was told by everyone, it would most likely be the battery disconnecting.....

We went to a friends farm to show him what the machine could do.
Everything was showing ok for flight, did the risk assessment etc, was flying in an open field, no obstacles at all.
Flew at approx 60' to a distance from me of 1000yds.
wanted to show the return home function, so flicked the switch.
The H520 went to pre-set height,flew direct back to me.
Then hovered at the height of 80', 5 yds infront of myself,my wife,my friend and his wife.
The ST16s bleeped and voice, communications lost.
The machine dropped about 1 metre, hovered then fell to the ground.
I contacted Yuneec in South of England, Im in North Yorkshire.
The guys there were brilliant, sent out a courier urgently.
Had the machine couple of days running diagnostics.
The report said: H520 telemetry data has been checked and we can identify there was an issue with the IMU board which has caused the mid flight failure.
The guys immediately sent me the following day a brand new H520, E90 camera, ST16s, Battery and a set of props.

This happened to me too around a month ago. I bought my one from Clifton Cameras in the UK. When it dropped out of the sky I was in the process of demonstrating it to a local farmer, it was a bit embarrassing to say the least. Anyway, I sent it back to Clifton cameras who forwarded it to Yuneec UK, this cost me €90 in shipping as I wasn't prepared to post it uninsured and I also reside in Ireland. Three weeks later I received a new drone, controller, camera, two batteries, props etc. Mine had also suffered a IMU failure. Fair play to both Clifton cameras and Yuneec UK for dealing with me fairly and promptly.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I know own two H520's that both have experienced this. I have many hours with DJI and Yuneec drones and this is by far the worst issue I have come across. My new H520 flying in a rural area got to 60 feet then powered off and fell like a rock. I am not confident that I can use this drone as we use them for building inspections.
I believe it is either a physical design issue with the battery locking mechanism or a software issue, and if YUNEEC doesn't correct it they will not stay in the industrial drone space.
As soon as they repair this one I'm selling both.

Like I mentioned before, velcro is a wonderful addition hold battery from falling out.

Do you have a picture of how you're using velcro on the H520 as a backup retainer for the battery?

Do you have a picture of how you're using velcro on the H520 as a backup retainer for the battery?
I don't fly the 520, only the H. I'm sure the battery insertion is the same.
I used Gorilla glue and tape, since then the Velcro strap has come off. So now I'm in search of a stronger adhesive.
20180915_170049.jpg20180915_170221.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
Yep that pretty much looks the same battery retention design as the H520. I'm thinking I'd like to add the "velcro" strap as well. I'll look into it more this evening or this weekend.

Here's how I "think" I'd attach it:

a) lightly sand/roughen the plastic where you're going to glue the strap
b) clean the area to get rid of dust etc so it's rough but clean
c) Use 5 min 2-part epoxy to secure each end of the velcro strap and let cure over night (just to be sure)

Reactions: AH-1G
Yep that pretty much looks the same battery retention design as the H520. I'm thinking I'd like to add the "velcro" strap as well. I'll look into it more this evening or this weekend.

Here's how I "think" I'd attach it:

a) lightly sand/roughen the plastic where you're going to glue the strap
b) clean the area to get rid of dust etc so it's rough but clean
c) Use 5 min 2-part epoxy to secure each end of the velcro strap and let cure over night (just to be sure)
Ahhh, I forgot to to sand down the area. geeezzzz. 2-part appoxy, ok.

Reactions: BigAl07
Like I mentioned before, velcro is a wonderful addition hold battery from falling out.

Having dealt with this recently with my H, I have already decided to use a velcro strap to secure the battery on all future flights.

I am sorry for the crash, it sucks, I know. Hopefully it can be covered under warranty.

(Just read the whole thread and see that it was covered). Congrats!

Last edited:
If people are going to use a Velcro battery retainer why not go “whole hog”, drill a hole large enough for an EC60 battery plug in the bottom of the aircraft and use cheaper, better, larger capacity batteries that would allow 25 and 30 minute, or more, flight times?

If you already have a Yuneec battery you already have the only aircraft connector plug you’ll ever need. Strip one from a battery and solder a couple wires and EC60 male connector to it. Make it long enough to reach the back of the aircraft to connect to the new battery and leave it connected forever at the aircraft side.

Reactions: h1pst3r88
Pat, this is extremely intriguing to me! I'd love to get some suggestions for the batteries you'd recommend. I am already going to do the velcro mod because I've learned the hard way.

Why not go larger capacity for a cheaper price!?

If people are going to use a Velcro battery retainer why not go “whole hog”, drill a hole large enough for an EC60 battery plug in the bottom of the aircraft and use cheaper, better, larger capacity batteries that would allow 25 and 30 minute, or more, flight times?

If you already have a Yuneec battery you already have the only aircraft connector plug you’ll ever need. Strip one from a battery and solder a couple wires and EC60 male connector to it. Make it long enough to reach the back of the aircraft to connect to the new battery and leave it connected forever at the aircraft side.
@PatR Can you show us how this can be accomplished with video or pictures? I might want to give this is whirl.

Last edited:
@PatR What type of battery or batteries do you recommend?

From what I can deduce, Pat might be recommending a pack like this:

RC Multistar High Capacity 16000mAh 4S 12C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack w/XT90 | eBay

Which is a 4s 16000mAh with an XT90 connector (Pat says use EC60) and measures 182x77x48mm

Our OEM pack measures roughly 168x50x46mm so the Multistar would fit in the battery cavity of the H.

I am very intrigued to do this! One question I have for Pat is why the EC60 connector as opposed something like a XT90 -- but I defer to his expertise on such matters.

This is a great idea that I will very likely do over the winter.

-C

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gautamadani