Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 - Mapping Ap?

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Is there a native (Yuneec) built in mapping application in the H520 or will I have to download/install something? I'm talking about something like MapsMadeEasy(MapPilot) or the DroneDeploy ap. I just want to be able to take pictures at specific (timed) intervals for stitching back together later.

Reactions: Jardy
Is there a native (Yuneec) built in mapping application in the H520 or will I have to download/install something? I'm talking about something like MapsMadeEasy(MapPilot) or the DroneDeploy ap. I just want to be able to take pictures at specific (timed) intervals for stitching back together later.
The 2 mapping apps for the 520 that I am aware of are Pix4D and the included mapping application that comes pre-installed and does a very nice job.

Reactions: Graham and BigAl07
No for stitching.

I might has misstated myself... I only want the app to acquire the images autonomously I'll handle the stitching (actually in many cases we don't stitch we visually search image by image).

Thank you for your input (both of you).

Can’t you not use Pix4d for material collection? And you decide wither to use their services or do it yourself in the future.

Reactions: BigAl07
Personally I prefer to use DataPilot to program missions than Pix4DCapture.

DataPilot is more like the way you work with Mission Planner which is what I'm most used to. Even so I consider, speaking only of the features of programming surverys, could be improved with very simple things that would facilitate our work. That we can program it in the desktop computer and then pass it to the aircraft is very comfortable. Although in some update we have lost the functionality to do it wirelessly.

Pix4DCapture has had problems logging flights, essential if you have problems later, and some disconnection problems as commented by colleagues here. Having a third player in the equation in case of problems is not advisable since with DataPilot you can do the same, sometimes with a little more work, but eliminating another point of failure that may be the integration of the software with the H520 platform.

The stitching of images, is already a more difficult subject, to fill many threads :rolleyes:

Reactions: Graham
Personally I prefer to use DataPilot to program missions than Pix4DCapture.

DataPilot is more like the way you work with Mission Planner which is what I'm most used to. Even so I consider, speaking only of the features of programming surverys, could be improved with very simple things that would facilitate our work. That we can program it in the desktop computer and then pass it to the aircraft is very comfortable. Although in some update we have lost the functionality to do it wirelessly.

Pix4DCapture has had problems logging flights, essential if you have problems later, and some disconnection problems as commented by colleagues here. Having a third player in the equation in case of problems is not advisable since with DataPilot you can do the same, sometimes with a little more work, but eliminating another point of failure that may be the integration of the software with the H520 platform.

The stitching of images, is already a more difficult subject, to fill many threads :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input. I’ve always wondered if the integration of the two pix4d into the h520 is worthy in the field. This is another drawback and reasons why not a lot of surveyors are not too excited of getting and using the h520

Thanks for the input. I’ve always wondered if the integration of the two pix4d into the h520 is worthy in the field. This is another drawback and reasons why not a lot of surveyors are not too excited of getting and using the h520
Having used both, I'd say DataPilot was much the better programme. I find it easy to use and completely reliable. I didn't get on with the PIX4DCapture interface (small symbols/large fingers and corporate colours) and suffered a loss of map on the second battery of the survey. However, I have only used PIX4DCapture once, perhaps I should give it another go?
It would also be nice to hear what others have found.:)

Last edited:
Having used both, I'd say DataPilot was much the better programme. I find it easy to use and completely reliable. I didn't get on with the PIX4DCapture interface (small symbols/large fingers and corporate colours) and suffered a loss of map on the second battery of the survey. However, I have only used PIX4DCapture once, perhaps I should give it another go?
It would also be nice to hear what others have found.:)

I am ignorant when it comes to the Pix4D platform, I’ve used DD (and DJI’s GSP PRO) to collect materials, and convert the materials into a 3D map via Autodesk Recap Pro.

I am not familiar, with DataPilot as well, but if can let you create waypoints, then stick with DataPilot and keep snapping photographs based on the data given to you by the land surveyors.

I’ve had great success, manually collecting “relative accuracy” materials using the Yuneec typhoon H+

The idea is, simple just as long as you’re able to create a route, and again take as many photos that can tiled to create into a photogrammetry map.

Here’s what photo representation that I’ve gotten online, similar to what I have been doing in the field.

IMG_8465.jpg

(As far a having large fingers, use a stylus pen)

Same thought as Arruntus, having tested both then deleted Pix4d. Datapilot is more flexible and can work and tweak at home less stressful than doing on the field. The orientation problem of the camera is easily manageable by setting a first waypoint defining the desired angle.
The kind of survey that suits me best is a first survey ground 90 °, return to the beginning by the passage of a point that puts the camera at 45 ° then the second investigation identical with this camera angle and there we have a 3D representation of the beautiful terrain.
Dolmen Grotte.PNG
Dolmen de la Grotte metal.jpg

Seychalles Tour Courcourt (PuyDome).jpg
tour courcourt 01.jpg
Kervignen 01-20.jpg
Menhir de Kervignen 3d.JPG

My initial use for this is Search & Rescue so the need for the 3D isn't there but it's definitely something I am interested in.

Also on the same note I'm thinking it might be useful with SAR because it might allow the camera to see things from a slight different perspective allowing for a more thorough search.

@claudius62 what software/service are you using to create your images after you get the DATA from the aircraft?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Agisoft photoscan pro for processing and editing images.
As well as export under different formants obj, 3ds, ply, Stl, Kmz, autodesk ... (3d and others)
3d printing possible from these formats.

Thank you sir.

For steching the images, I use Pix4Dmapper. Then the output formats depend on what you want to get. For SAR, program a zone and with a simple survey mission you can then move the camera while the H520 makes the route autonomously. Stop or pause the mission whenever you want and resume it if what you have seen is not important. They are a series of very intuitive buttons on DataPilot's own interface.

The last photogrammetric flight I did was a granite quarry, it was rather small. I have programmed a mission in nadir and then I have added, with the same battery, another one with the camera in oblique and crossed to catch the details. If you don't limit the speed the H520 makes it fast enough, taking the images well. The same with a thermal camera and flying low, it depends on the camera, you have to limit the speed of the mission not to lose the important parts live. Anyway if it is only to sew the images, with relatively simple programs and a relatively powerful laptop you can stich enough photos in a short time and do a detailed review of the orthoto at the field.

P.D.: Bearing in mind that the images are georeferenced, you can always return to the same area exactly, if in the orthophoto you see what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Same thought as Arruntus, having tested both then deleted Pix4d. Datapilot is more flexible and can work and tweak at home less stressful than doing on the field. The orientation problem of the camera is easily manageable by setting a first waypoint defining the desired angle.
The kind of survey that suits me best is a first survey ground 90 °, return to the beginning by the passage of a point that puts the camera at 45 ° then the second investigation identical with this camera angle and there we have a 3D representation of the beautiful terrain.
View attachment 11860
View attachment 11861

View attachment 11862
View attachment 11863
View attachment 11864
View attachment 11865

Nice work, sir

If you haven't already and are interested in seeing what it can do, DataPilot can be downloaded and installed on a computer.
Commercial: EN - Downloads H520

This doesn't happen often but tonight this software has me stumped. What is the key stroke combination in order to ZOOM IN/OUT within this program? I've watched a video on it and they only say Zoom In but don't show/tell what the key strokes are for it.

Thanks in advance,
Allen

When using DataPilot on the PC, I just use the scroll wheel on the mouse. On the ST16S screen, moving 2 fingers apart increases magnification.

This doesn't happen often but tonight this software has me stumped. What is the key stroke combination in order to ZOOM IN/OUT within this program? I've watched a video on it and they only say Zoom In but don't show/tell what the key strokes are for it.

Thanks in advance,
Allen

xDDDDDddddddddd very good question. I was looking for them a long time ago too and I wasn't able to find them either.

Ideally it should be the + and - for the zoom. Either PageUp or PageDown but none works. Since a few versions ago, also starts the program with all the map of the world which always forces you to zoom to a scale of meters. It will be a question of making a suggestion in the thread for it :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airconditionerservice