Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 my views so Far. Even though I still love it.

Great thread guys - but also quite concerning, we went from DJI Phantom 4, to Inspire 1 Pro (loved it) to Inspire 2 (great images but unreliable for mapping with flyaways), and was just going to move to the Phantom 4 Pro which is meant to be the best flying sensor for mapping (other than custom, etc) with the 1" mechanical shutter / sensor, when I saw the H520. While it is unfortunate that it is only a single battery from contingency, I did love the fact of the 6 rotors for safety. Changeable payloads was also a tick. I map a lot with Pix4d, MapsPilot (best package ever due to terrain management) and UGCS. I downloaded the DataPilot app and see its just a re-brand of QControl for the PX4/Mavlink, and while its ok for standard 2d grid surveys, it was no use at all for antenna surveys, etc by allowing multiple orbits and varying flight levels, such as DJI GS Pro for iPad which again is excellent (apart from no offline usage which is crazy for non cellular areas). Im now hearing these battery problems, which for the UK market make the unit unsafe for commercial use. No flight manual would be approved by the CAA with this level of battery management and ability to land when it wants to, its too unsafe. I do a lot work in the industry with various mapping systems, and Im wondering do I have to go back to Phantom 4 Pro again, or is the H520 fit for purpose, like others here - this will be my hard earned cash - with all three lenses - some investment. I welcome comments from people above who have done all this - best wishes

The system is lacking in polish and a few aspects need to be improved. It has been released 2 months ago, the market situation has dictated its departure date, although flying shows an excellent fluency which is probably the most difficult to achieve. Now it is only possible to improve by adding functions that are fundamental for a platform oriented to photogrammetry (if we are talking about the E90).

Your appraisals are correct for the moment we're in right now. In X time, unfortunately we do not know how much, the situation can give a turn of 180 degrees that leaves us amazed. I think of this mainly because the hardware on which it is based is more than proven and the possibilities are very great. Of course these are wishes and nothing is confirmed but we are already a few of us who have bought it in spite of having seen some problems, that I sincerely believe that all that have come up to now are fixable.

The functions that you mentioned, planning the flights, are basic for a photogrammetric drone, no doubt all of them will be present, it makes no sense to think otherwise. It seems that I work for Yuneec jejejeje Nothing further from reality, is my opinion based on the hope of what this platform has to be. Saying what we need to work, on a day-to-day basis, let's hope they implement all the necessary functions and that's why this and other threads are so interesting :)

Is the H520 still reporting battery % incorrectly and forcing premature landing?

No, It shows on screen a erroneous % of battery which later is corrected....... it has to be a question of an update. It starts immediately after putting the battery in 97%, I had already detected that the charger does not finish charging the battery completely. One LIHV battery charges 4.35V per cell. Both of mine don't charge more than 4.28V.

I just got back from flying and in the two batteries I have 14.82V which is 3.7V per cell, all right. 30% when the first alarm sounds, 28%? (I'm not sure) the second alarm sounds. 1 minute? less? between one alarm and the other? I'm not sure, but it seemed like a short time.

I personally take the batteries to 3.3V per cell and no problem. The problem is to lower them by 3V. That difference of 3.3 to 3.7V gives you 2 more minutes of flight time. The recommended and desirable is 3.7V, let no one be afraid.

The second battery has given me 20 minutes of flight, the first I didn't notice because of watching the fall of the %.

For now these conclusions I have drawn, it is the first contact. Now I will examine the images that despite putting it at 4K and 25fps I believe that the card I have put can not store everything correctly.

No, It shows on screen a erroneous % of battery which later is corrected....... it has to be a question of an update. It starts immediately after putting the battery in 97%, I had already detected that the charger does not finish charging the battery completely. One LIHV battery charges 4.35V per cell. Both of mine don't charge more than 4.28V.

I just got back from flying and in the two batteries I have 14.82V which is 3.7V per cell, all right. 30% when the first alarm sounds, 28%? (I'm not sure) the second alarm sounds. 1 minute? less? between one alarm and the other? I'm not sure, but it seemed like a short time.

I personally take the batteries to 3.3V per cell and no problem. The problem is to lower them by 3V. That difference of 3.3 to 3.7V gives you 2 more minutes of flight time. The recommended and desirable is 3.7V, let no one be afraid.

The second battery has given me 20 minutes of flight, the first I didn't notice because of watching the fall of the %.

For now these conclusions I have drawn, it is the first contact. Now I will examine the images that despite putting it at 4K and 25fps I believe that the card I have put can not store everything correctly.

Thanks for details. I was hoping that the H520 would get at least 25 minutes of flight time.

Thanks for details. I was hoping that the H520 would get at least 25 minutes of flight time.

Officially it is 25 minutes with the E90 and 28 minutes with the CGOET or the E50. Repeat... officially.

Reality tells us that these are data, normally, of stationary flight and in surroundings with 0 wind. Sometimes, even in these ideal conditions, they are not fulfilled.

Some tests that have made forum colleagues or on youtube say that with the E90 about 20 minutes and with the E50 about 22 minutes. Maybe a little more, but I think that would be the real times making a flight with movements but not being very aggressive.

It's not that Yuneec is cheating with those data, it's that all the manufacturers give the same kind of data that later in a normal flight is not fulfilled and it seems that they lie to us.

People are gullible, see the words “up to”, and immediately misinterpret them to mean “will always provide”.

We'd all be thrilled if those durations were truly fulfilled ;)

This reminds me a little of the data given by electric car manufacturers who say that with a charge you can do so many kilometers or miles and then in reality are much less. Recently they have taken out other data following other rules that indicate the kilometres they can travel and whether it should be closer to reality. Something similar happens here.

To increase the autonomy of a drone there are three main keys, low weight, good combination of propeller with motor and a lot of energy. You lose weight and maintain structural rigidity with carbon fiber (it's a very good material with a proportionate price). The engines and propellers have evolved a lot, lowered their energy consumption and increased their performance. The batteries........... and the batteries? A disaster, we've been using the same technology for years and years,their evolution is very small, they are heavy and are able to store little energy in proportion to their weight. And let's not say that the batteries that are normally used in drones are LIPO batteries and can be very dangerous. Where's the graphene that drove us crazy? It must have been lost..........

And that, I'm not writing any more than I bore you :rolleyes:

@Spartan2381 I get 24 minutes with the E90 every flight so far. So I'm happy :)

I want to know how you do it. :)

Did you just charge the battery and check the voltage? charge your batteries at 100%, 17.4V??

What kind of flight? aggressive flight, normal, regulating speed with the slider in which position? stationary flight?

Time starts counting from when you turn on the H520 or when you take off?

Shooting video or taking pictures?

I forgot to mention, I missed a time counter to know the flight time at all times.

Last edited:
You have a point with when the time starts. The timer for all my stuff starts and stops when the motors start and stop. A flight battery can last for hours if the motors are never started.

I want to know how you do it. :)

Did you just charge the battery and check the voltage? charge your batteries at 100%, 17.4V??

What kind of flight? aggressive flight, normal, regulating speed with the slider in which position? stationary flight?

Time starts counting from when you turn on the H520 or when you take off?

Shooting video or taking pictures?

I forgot to mention, I missed a time counter to know the flight time at all times.
@arruntus to be fair, my flights so far have been pretty gentle.
I'm getting to know the limits, handling, options, camera, survey and waypoints, etc before trying to use it next week for my first 'job' with it taking footage of a local golf course.
I've done a couple of test surveys at a local school, a couple of test videos tracking my son on his scooter and bike, etc. I've also spent a few flights operating 100% manual flight mode to get to know how it handles.
In all cases, I charged the batteries the night before until the charger lets out its shrill beep, popped it in the backpack, and went flying the next day.
Time on the ground was minimal. Just enough to check camera, systems, etc and then flying.
Back on the ground, I record flight time from the ST16S, and in all cases it has been on or near 24 minutes.
The surveys were relatively low, at around 90 feet.
So yes, the flights have been pretty gentle, so maybe that's why I'm getting a good amount of time from them.
I'd like to say it's my awesome and efficient flying skills, but I know that's not true ;-)

Reactions: arruntus
I'm sure you do. ;)

At 90 feet? The GSD in millimeter range, 8mm. You can almost see the caries of the ants :p

I don't understand, my flights made at a low speed taking pictures and recording video of a 5000 year old dolmen. I'll take another look at it. Batteries charged the night before and quiet flight. It's a match. Speed or as low as possible or something in the middle and not forced.

On the next flights, please note the percentage of charge indicated by the battery. You also get a slump in the % indicator and then stands over 60% for a while?

On the next flights, please note the percentage of charge indicated by the battery. You also get a slump in the % indicator and then stands over 60% for a while?
That's what I'm getting - a sag on take-off then % drops apparently evenly during low and moderate flight demands.

I'm sure you do. ;)

At 90 feet? The GSD in millimeter range, 8mm. You can almost see the caries of the ants :p

I don't understand, my flights made at a low speed taking pictures and recording video of a 5000 year old dolmen. I'll take another look at it. Batteries charged the night before and quiet flight. It's a match. Speed or as low as possible or something in the middle and not forced.

@arruntus I'll try and keep a closer look at the battery on my next couple of flights and update you.

As I stated earlier my last two flights which were considered "light operational" got me 19:30 and just over 20:00 at the 30% low Batt warning, with E90. I feel that batt warning value is quite conservative, but do not yet want to push the value until more testing and firmware upgrade.....?

What was the displayed battery voltage at 30%? Reason I ask is because we don’t know what is defining percentage. Pack voltage, lowest cell voltage, useful voltage? Who knows? We know what a cell’s min and max should be, which gives us an average pack’s functional min and max voltage but percentages really don’t tell us squat. Voltage, mA consumed, and amp loads establish what we need to know in flight, not percentage of an unknown.

Last edited:
You can click on the percentage indicator and you will see the total battery voltage. What happens is that you have to be attentive to press it or to have one more window on the screen all the time. That's why I'd like to alternate that information. You press and in % and you press again and the voltage. In my opinion it would be ideal to allow everyone to see the information in the way they like.

30% is the default amount for the first warning and can be changed in the configuration. I haven't exactly noticed the voltage corresponding to 30%. The second warning, which activates the RTL, of 27% or 28% is almost certain at 3.7V per cell, I have proven that by making a flight at just 5 meters above the Home, landing alone and then measuring the voltage. That it lands automatically wherever it is, as it seems to have been eliminated, it is no longer important.

We are evolving little by little, that's good news :D

But publishing changes for each update is also necessary :rolleyes:

Reactions: ArltTech
also there was to be a speed bump up with this update can any one confirm? the rain and snow mix got me grounded for a while. just got 3 sets of new props for the h520

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval