Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520E Battery New Design

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I am totally amazed to find the H520E battery IS a Li-ion. Although I have seen it mentioned I have presumed it was a typo until I found a picture on a website from the manufacturer. This is a significant change and it makes battery maintenance totally different.
It also means the H3 and H520E batteries are different. And the charger will be different.
Bateria_H520E_Tienda24hs.png

I am still confused. The label says Li-ion, but the description lists it as LiPo.

Is it really a different chemistry being used rather than the text used to describe the batteries?

Is not lithium and lithium ion interchangeable, with the electrolyte being the final tag?

In other words lithium ion polymer is the full name for a LiPo. It’s still a lithium Ion class power source.

A couple reads showing examples of how lithium ion is the base or “catch all” for lithium batteries. It’s the “rest of the story” that determines the batttery subtype:

Jeff

yuneec eu when I facebook message them they stated there are differences in material that make them not compatible to be used on each other chargers. the dy5 for h3 and the yet to be released dy5 for h520e. I have a contacted independent third party lab in state of OR for a tear down and analysis of the h520e battery . just need to to get back with them for a quote. however I hacked the h520e charge cube for third party charger hookup that has been tested.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I am still confused. The label says Li-ion, but the description lists it as LiPo.
The fun part is,,on the top side it says Li Ion, and on the bottom side LiPo.
Also on the orange charger says LiPo.
By comfirmation of Yuneec Europe it's a Li Ion.
When you charge it in the H3 dual charger it only charge up to 80%, so use the orange smart charger for the time being.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The fun part is,,on the top side it says Li Ion, and on the bottom side LiPo.
Also on the orange charger says LiPo.
By comfirmation of Yuneec Europe it's a Li Ion.
When you charge it in the H3 dual charger it only charge up to 80%, so use the orange smart charger for the time being.
Is that because the H3 charger has a programmed cutoff for total charge of 5250mAh and the battery for the H520 is a 6200mAh pack? I highly suspect this to be the case. The supposed .05V difference in full charge voltage would not account for that much difference.

Is it really a different chemistry being used rather than the text used to describe the batteries?

Is not lithium and lithium ion interchangeable, with the electrolyte being the final tag?

In other words lithium ion polymer is the full name for a LiPo. It’s still a lithium Ion class power source.

A couple reads showing examples of how lithium ion is the base or “catch all” for lithium batteries. It’s the “rest of the story” that determines the batttery subtype:

Jeff
I would guess that, at least in the US, there's some law that makes them list if it's Lithium Ion vs LiPo due to the stability difference between the 2 types. The old lithium ions were much more prone to rapidly combusting, is my understanding, and considering how garbage 3 of the 5 batteries were that I received when I purchased the original H520 LiPo, I don't think I'd trust a lithium-ion battery from Yuneec. Maybe they're trying to fix their battery issues with the new battery but I would have rather seen them go with an industrial LiFePo4 battery that holds up in the cold and has a much longer shelf life.

yuneec eu when I facebook message them they stated there are differences in material that make them not compatible to be used on each other chargers. the dy5 for h3 and the yet to be released dy5 for h520e. I have a contacted independent third party lab in state of OR for a tear down and analysis of the h520e battery . just need to to get back with them for a quote. however I hacked the h520e charge cube for third party charger hookup that has been tested.
Hello, did you ever post the results of the 520e battery. You seem to be advanced in this battery quest for information. I am about to disassemble a 520e battery myself to see if there are any clues. Any help with chargers or cables would also be helpful. Are you posting info elsewhere ? Update: I followed terrence and found great posts and helpful information. Thanks Bro

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval