Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520e power loss at low altitude

Reaction score
Well all it has finally happened to me after warning the supplier who repaired my H520e about the battery issues and battery switch the H520e when down and crash after a power lost. The battery switch or connecter could had have caused the power lost at 15ft while checking the flight control system. After the mind blowing crash all I could think was who could have been seriously injured or what property damage could have occurred after starting my test flight. I have filed a request for assistance but have yet to hear back from anyone yet (day one). I hope Yuneec realizes how serious this issues is and understands how they are putting peoples lives, our businesses and reputation as competent pilots at risk not to included potential lawsuits. I will keep you all informed!

Attachments

• 20211115_125259[1].jpg
    20211115_125259[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
  • Sad
Reactions: Steve Carr
johnny have you pulled the flight battery out of the unit and can you send me a picture the battery head connector on the flight battery. also can you shine a light into the battery compartment in the h520e and take a look at the internal battery connector on that side look for any thing out of the ordinary.

Well all it has finally happened to me after warning the supplier who repaired my H520e about the battery issues and battery switch the H520e when down and crash after a power lost. The battery switch or connecter could had have caused the power lost at 15ft while checking the flight control system. After the mind blowing crash all I could think was who could have been seriously injured or what property damage could have occurred after starting my test flight. I have filed a request for assistance but have yet to hear back from anyone yet (day one). I hope Yuneec realizes how serious this issues is and understands how they are putting peoples lives, our businesses and reputation as competent pilots at risk not to included potential lawsuits. I will keep you all informed!
If the switch was done correctly in implementation it would only prevent arming of the motors, and not allow loss of power once they are armed. I am quite certain this is indeed the way this switch works.

If the positioning of the switch was altered by someone other than a Yuneec authorized repair facility and it allowed the switch to make without the battery being latched that is another matter.

Did the battery eject from the aircraft either before it crashed or upon impact?

johnny have you pulled the flight battery out of the unit and can you send me a picture the battery head connector on the flight battery. also can you shine a light into the battery compartment in the h520e and take a look at the internal battery connector on that side look for any thing out of the ordinary.
Hello, battery stayed in the until. Here are some photos of the battery and internal connecters.

Attachments

• H520E Battery  - Copy.jpg
    H520E Battery - Copy.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 43
  • H520E Connectors.jpg
    H520E Connectors.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 43
If the switch was done correctly in implementation it would only prevent arming of the motors, and not allow loss of power once they are armed. I am quite certain this is indeed the way this switch works.

If the positioning of the switch was altered by someone other than a Yuneec authorized repair facility and it allowed the switch to make without the battery being latched that is another matter.

Did the battery eject from the aircraft either before it crashed or upon impact?
No it did not eject after the crash.

They are aware and there is a fix. I don't know where you bought it but you should be able to get it replaced. We purchased from and have warranty through Vertigo Drones.

Make sure you check ALL your batteries. Any with melting should be replaced as well.

No it did not eject after the crash.
This is a known issue. Contact your vendor or Yuneec and start the warranty claim process.

well I hate to say I was waiting for this to happen to someone not sure when but it would happen. you had the worse case played out in front of you. which confirms what I was thinking could have happen to me if I ignored what my h520e was doing and kept on flying.

oh it's not just batteries melting that should only be replaced but any battery connector heads that any wide gaps in the metal connector area. the connector acts like a spring and if there is a wide gap between the two pieces of metal that make contact on both side of the mainboard battery connector. if found that battery is no good it will melt if used again if not already melted.

They are aware and there is a fix. I don't know where you bought it but you should be able to get it replaced. We purchased from and have warranty through Vertigo Drones.

Make sure you check ALL your batteries. Any with melting should be replaced as well.
I am in talks with them now about repairs. Thank you all for your advise and suggestions! I well keep you informed.

Hello Fellow pilots, I was told by the head man that my drone will be taking care of and to look for instructions on what to do next week Monday I hope. I will let you know what happens next.

Last edited:
And the saga continues, 520e drone operators skate on thin ice. I wish I could get a response from yuneec us.
I figure if I wait another month a total recall will be issued. Not flying that's for sure

And the saga continues, 520e drone operators skate on thin ice. I wish I could get a response from yuneec us.
I figure if I wait another month a total recall will be issued. Not flying that's for sure
Email Phil Mann. Tell him Michael Lambert sent you.
[email protected]

They are the ones in thin ice. I put my reputation on the line by selling two of these and have three more interested but I've had to tell them to hold on. They're going to be issuing a lot of refunds if they don't get this stuff figured out pretty quick. I feel sorry for Vertigo Drones because they're stuck in the middle.

Reactions: DoomMeister
thanks for that email link been waiting for that one. also most will not know this but yuneec st16s battery is internally not the same as for the st16e. my project of opening up the yuneec st16 series controllers to other power sources revealed that the battery are the same type used in st16's h480 and h920's that use that controller and first gen h520. It's the second gen h520e there has been a change but the label on the st16e battery matches word for word what is listed on the battery label for st16 and st16s on battery part number. this is INCORRECT. yuneec st16 and st16s uses green ncr18650pf mh12210, st16e uses red cells that are higher amperage part number ncr18650ga ox22 that label is not clear and hard to read must get the light at the right angle to reveal it. the white papers reveal totally different capacity specs. voltage is the same.

Reactions: chascoadmin
I think it high time once and for all do a white paper check on the h3 and h520e flight battery. My prototype device can also safely kill off a flight battery. and I got 2 that can not be used in flights.

okay tear down complete with drained dead h520e battery. no markings at all to identify the cells they using. can not lookup the circuit board numbers on the battery protection boards they are using to identify the battery type used on this aircraft. good note they got metal platting on top and bottom for anti puncture.

thanks for that email link been waiting for that one. also most will not know this but yuneec st16s battery is internally not the same as for the st16e. my project of opening up the yuneec st16 series controllers to other power sources revealed that the battery are the same type used in st16's h480 and h920's that use that controller and first gen h520. It's the second gen h520e there has been a change but the label on the st16e battery matches word for word what is listed on the battery label for st16 and st16s on battery part number. this is INCORRECT. yuneec st16 and st16s uses green ncr18650pf mh12210, st16e uses red cells that are higher amperage part number ncr18650ga ox22 that label is not clear and hard to read must get the light at the right angle to reveal it. the white papers reveal totally different capacity specs. voltage is the same.
NP. I don't know how he will respond but it's worth a shot. As for the RC batteries I have been using them interchangeably and haven't noticed any ill effects but I'll make sure not to put the E battery in the old RC.

yes he responded here is the reply

Terrence,

Great to hear from you, and I have been in the background on the issues you have had these past many months. Your email below is great, and a lot to unpack which we will.

To kick-off, are you ok I add Andrew Mier (Sales Engineer), Jennifer Moore (Director of Operations), and Joe Celestino (COO Vertigo) into the discussion we are about to embark on? I know you, Joe, and Jennifer has been discussing this at various times as well.

Our collective goal is to get the H520E and H520E-RTK operating in the reliable manner you need.

Cheers,
Phil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval