Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H920 with ST24 and CGO4 Still Relevant?

TGF

Reaction score
Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask.

I have the opportunity to purchase a "new old stock" H920 with ST24 controller and CGO4 camera.

In long-term users' experience and opinion, is the H920 still a good option, or is the H920 Plus better? [ I can also get a "new" full H920 Plus package ]

Finally, it seems Yuneec USA is selling new Typhoon H Plus sets.

All of the above options would cost me about the same amount (within tens of dollars).

I would appreciate and be happy to hear informed opinions, thanks!

It depends on your needs. The H920 is a heavy lift copter. Range is fairly short. And the OEM batteries are not usable so you will need aftermarket batteries for certain.

The H plus is an excellent model. I have nearly all of Yuneecs drones but the H Plus is my go-to machine for videography and pics. Parts are readily available.

It depends on your needs. The H920 is a heavy lift copter. Range is fairly short. And the OEM batteries are not usable so you will need aftermarket batteries for certain.

The H plus is an excellent model. I have nearly all of Yuneecs drones but the H Plus is my go-to machine for videography and pics. Parts are readily available.
Thank you very much for the rapid reply!

Range is not a huge issue, my use case has no need for more than 1KM (100M - 500M is most likely).

My use case is primarily rock-steady, quality videography for documentary purposes of activities at our experimental test site, observing ground activities and kite-borne research platforms (at up to approx. 100M altitude above ground level).

Ability to lift a 3.5KG - 5KG custom instrumentation payload to various heights (not needing to exceed 100M AGL) as needed would make the platform ideal, hence our consideration of the H920.

The key factor here regarding the hexacopter is reliability and repeatability for the purposes I've described.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I'm not sure if it will lift that kind of payload. Have you checked the lift capacity?

I've seen an old Yuneec spec claiming 1.6 KG, but I'm interested in what experienced 920 users might say about that.

There's a YouTube video from last year of a guy lifting 1.5 KG barbell with a Typhoon H:

In any case, the lifting ability (whatever it may be) is a secondary "bonus", key factor is professional level camera (CGO4).

I had a H920 with the ST24 and CGO4 camera. The camera would not bind properly, It would send video though it was choppy however the ST24 would not control the gimble. I was told there is no fix for this issue from Yuneec Skins. However, the H920+ works fine with the CGO4 camera and ST16.

I had a H920 with the ST24 and CGO4 camera. The camera would not bind properly, It would send video though it was choppy however the ST24 would not control the gimble. I was told there is no fix for this issue from Yuneec Skins. However, the H920+ works fine with the CGO4 camera and ST16.
Seem to remember there are two versions of the CGO4 camera. One that works with the H920 and the other that works with the H920+. That discussion took place several years ago and it had to do with the way the WiFi worked.

The people involved in the discussion rarely if ever frequent the forum any more.

The CGO4 is a great camera. @TGF you may find support in your region to be considerably better than here in the USA. There is a Facebook group dedicated to Yuneec there.

I read some of those threads on here about the ST24 binding differences/problems/compatibilities, etc.

But, I also saw "PatR" for example, commenting in detail at various times about the original non-plus 920 being a superior airframe and the ST24 a superior controller - albeit "orphaned" by Yuneec even moreso than the "somewhat downgraded" 920 Plus version.

I realize that both the 920 versions are somewhat beyond EOL, with a slight advantage to the 920 Plus, probably due to more 920 Plus owners especially after that "send in your 920 for an upgrade" maneuver some years ago.

@Robhawg Is/are there any airframe, controller or flight characteristic(s) that would make a 920 (non-plus) preferable to a 920 Plus? Were there any failures of control or other hardware in your experience besides the CGO4 binding issue?

Thanks to all for your helpful responses.

But, I also saw "PatR" for example, commenting in detail at various times about the original non-plus 920 being a superior airframe and the ST24 a superior controller - albeit "orphaned" by Yuneec even moreso than the "somewhat downgraded" 920 Plus version.
@PatR is the person I had in mind when I mentioned that. I have a feeling @Robhawg ‘s issues may stem from a camera mismatch on a refurbished system.

I would definitely agree with @PatR that the ST24 is a more robust controller. The F/C in the original H920 is also better than in the H920+. The one drawback on the H920 is no quick disconnect for the props.

The H920 consumes much less energy than the H920+, thus you have longer flight times.

The quick release fasteners for the rotors also fit on the H920

With the H920+ you can program corridor routes... Use the CGOET thermal imaging camera on an adapter and the CGO3 from the Q500, which is not compatible with the H920.

With the H920, in addition to the CGO4, you can also use an original Panasonic GH3 or GH4 or a Sony A7/r or the V18 inspection camera with 18x optical zoom. Depending on the firmware of the ST-24 cann you also use a Canon Camera... this is not possible with the H920+.

With a Raptor ST antenna you have with both... H900 and H920+ a good range for flight operation and image transmission.

Team mode is also possible with the H920, which is very useful for filming.... not implemented with the H920+.

Hope this information helps a little.
Best regards from Switzerland,
Enrico

@Enrico Thanks you very much, that was VERY helpful!

Thanks to all for all of the quick and knowledgeable responses!

Since my use case does not need 'corridor routes' (I assume this is like 'waypoints'? and also useful for mapping?), and any spectral analysis (thermal or otherwise) would be done using proprietary instrumentation payloads, and the photographic capabilities of the CGO4 (etc.) are optimal for the use, it looks like the best fit is a 920 non-plus, as long as I make sure that the CGO4 is a compatible unit.

Hi, Steve,
Are you refering to the Typhoon H Plus, or the H920 Plus. I ask, because I think I was misreading your reply, about the H920.
Tom

Are you refering to the Typhoon H Plus, or the H920 Plus
I was referring to both as a comparison. If you need a heavy lift for your camera the H920 works well but has a limited range. If a Yuneec camera will provide the quality you need the H Plus is an excellent choice.

Reactions: FLDirector19
@PatR is the person I had in mind when I mentioned that. I have a feeling @Robhawg ‘s issues may stem from a camera mismatch on a refurbished system.

I would definitely agree with @PatR that the ST24 is a more robust controller. The F/C in the original H920 is also better than in the H920+. The one drawback on the H920 is no quick disconnect for the props.
The quick disconnects from the H920+ will work on the H920

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval