Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H920Plus with GB603/Sony A7RII

Reaction score
I recently completed a successful first flight of a H920Plus with a GB603 gimbal/Sony A7RII camera and ST24/ST16 controllers operating in team mode. The ST24 controls the GB603 pitch and yaw and displays the digital camera video from the LK 58 transmitter located on the GB603. The ST16 controls the H920Plus flight controls and displays all ship telemetry.
Although the test flight and ground tests were successful, this system should still be considered experimental. (FAA definition).
The following are some notes on the project:

-Mounting the Sony A7RII in the GB603 required some trimming, notching and shimming even though I used the Sony A7 lens mount frame. Balancing the gimbal (very important) required adding 32 grams laterally to the GB603 frame with a 50 mm lens on the A7.

-The A7 camera is controlled with an Air Commander V2 (airpixel.cz). This unit provides almost complete control of the Sony A7 functions. The unit operates in the 2.4 GHZ ISM band and uses CSMA modulation. It does not appear to interfere with the Yuneec flight control link operation.

-The Air Commander and camera are powered from the 24 volt ship’s batteries converted to 12 volts by a DC/DC converter. The ship’s battery power is accessed via a “Y” harness between the H920Plus JST gimbal connector and the GB603 plug. This arrangement does restrict 360° rotation of the gimbal, but 180° rotation works well. Complete 360° rotation could be enabled if the 24 volt ship power was accessed beneath the GB603 slip ring and inside the GB603 control box. I was reluctant to attempt this since the slip ring is so delicate and any damage to it would be a “show stopper”.

-No firmware mods were required but the binding sequence with the two controllers (ST16 and ST24) is critical.

-Firmware versions are: b30 for the ST16, b94 for the ST24 and 1.19 for the H920Plus.

-The complete GB603 assembly weighs approximately one pound more than the CG04.

-Range testing for the various links has not been completed.

-I plan to try a 24 mm lens which is lighter and will provide a 82° FOV. The current 50 mm lens has a 47° FOV.

-The Sony A7RII is a full frame camera with 42 mega pixels and produces superb still photos. I have not tried video.

-The HDMI cable from the camera to the LK58 transmitter must be very flexible with a small diameter to avoid binding the gimbal movements. I used a 1 foot Smart-HD cable with micro HDMI male connectors. The HDMI cable included with the GB603 has angle connectors with orientation not compatible with the A7.

-Photos of the two controllers in operation and linked to the H920Plus/GB603 and the Sony mounted in the GB603 are attached.

I would certainly like to know what kind of RF link and modulation the ST24 uses to control the gimbal. The GB603 must have a receiver in the control box beneath the slip ring. Certainly the CG04 modified for the H920Plus does have a receiver there because two pigtail antennas are hanging down from the control box.
Does anyone know?

-Compared to the Freefly Alta 6/8 or the Intel Falcon 8+ this project appears to be an economical way to get the Sony A7 onto the air.

I would be glad to provide more details to anyone desiring to duplicate this project.
Just send me a PM

Long live the H920/H920Plus.

Attachments

• 51270C66-0DE0-4BE3-BCBD-7067D52E93C9.jpeg
    51270C66-0DE0-4BE3-BCBD-7067D52E93C9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 58E2D54B-1D25-4F41-8D44-B5114EA65819.jpeg
    58E2D54B-1D25-4F41-8D44-B5114EA65819.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
I recently completed a successful first flight of a H920Plus with a GB603 gimbal/Sony A7RII camera and ST24/ST16 controllers operating in team mode. The ST24 controls the GB603 pitch and yaw and displays the digital camera video from the LK 58 transmitter located on the GB603. The ST16 controls the H920Plus flight controls and displays all ship telemetry.
Although the test flight and ground tests were successful, this system should still be considered experimental. (FAA definition).

-Mounting the Sony A7RII in the GB603 required some trimming, notching and shimming even though I used the Sony A7 lens mount frame. Balancing the gimbal (very important) required adding 32 grams laterally to the GB603 frame with a 50 mm lens on the A7.

-The A7 camera is controlled with an Air Commander V2 (airpixel.cz). This unit provides almost complete control of the Sony A7 functions. The unit operates in the 2.4 GHZ ISM band and uses CSMA modulation. It does not appear to interfere with the Yuneec flight control link operation.

-The Air Commander and camera are powered from the 24 volt ship’s batteries converted to 12 volts by a DC/DC converter. The ship’s battery power is accessed via a “Y” harness between the H920Plus JST gimbal connector and the GB603 plug. This arrangement does restrict 360° rotation of the gimbal, but 180° rotation works well. Complete 360° rotation could be enabled if the 24 volt ship power was accessed beneath the GB603 slip ring and inside the GB603 control box. I was reluctant to attempt this since the slip ring is so delicate and any damage to it would be a “show stopper”.

-No firmware mods were required but the binding sequence with the two controllers (ST16 and ST24) is critical.

-Firmware versions are: b30 for the ST16, b94 for the ST24 and 1.19 for the H920Plus.

-I plan to try a 24 mm lens which is lighter and will provide a 82° FOV. The current 50 mm lens has a 47° FOV.

-The Sony A7RII is a full frame camera with 42 mega pixels and produces superb still photos. I have not tried video.

-The HDMI cable from the camera to the LK58 transmitter must be very flexible with a small diameter to avoid binding the gimbal movements. I used a 1 foot Smart-HD cable with micro HDMI male connectors. The HDMI cable included with the GB603 has angle connectors with orientation not compatible with the A7.

-Photos of the two controllers in operation and linked to the H920Plus/GB603 and the Sony mounted in the GB603 are attached.

I would certainly like to know what kind of RF link and modulation the ST24 uses to control the gimbal. The GB603 must have a receiver in the control box beneath the slip ring. Certainly the CG04 modified for the H920Plus does have a receiver there because two pigtail antennas are hanging down from the control box.
Does anyone know?

-Compared to the Freefly Alta 6/8 or the Intel Falcon 8+ this project appears to be an economical way to get the Sony A7 onto the air.

I would be glad to provide more details to anyone desiring to duplicate this project.
Just send me a PM

Does anyone know?

Just send me a PM

Hmmm, what a lovely "hack job" ...guess up in the air it does not matter what it looks like :cool:

Reactions: John Hennessy
Hmmm, what a lovely "hack job" ...guess up in the air it does not matter what it looks like :cool:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. In this case the completed package is much less cluttered than a Cinestar 8 fitted with a Radian gimbal and Canon full frame.

With a 42mpx delivered product, I can get along quite well with a few wires.

BTW Seabee, thanks for the experimentation and write up. You’ve provided some good reasons to keep eyes open for fire sale prices on used 920 equipment.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Awesome! I’ve got an A77ii that I would love to get on a drone, I wonder if I could adapt my Typhoon H to get it airborne... J/K. Honestly could the gimbal/controller setup work with my camera on a Tornado H920.

Awesome! I’ve got an A77ii that I would love to get on a drone, I wonder if I could adapt my Typhoon H to get it airborne... J/K. Honestly could the gimbal/controller setup work with my camera on a Tornado H920.
The Sony A7ii should work with the GB603 gimbal. You will need the version with the Sony camera frame. Depending on which lens you use you may have to do some trimming on the gimbal frame. Operation with the H920 is simpler and can be done with one or two ST24 units ( single or dual operation). Operation with the H920PLUS requires both a ST16 and a ST 24. The ST16 controls the aircraft while the ST24 controls the gimbal and camera. Camera control will require the Air Commander unit if you want more than just shutter control. The project does require some work.
The Typhoon might work with JATO units but only for one flight Ha!

Does anyone know?

Just send me a PM

Love the scotch tape on the gimble. Looks like my work!

I used the double sided tape to temporarily attach the gimbal balance weights. Plan epoxy in the future. It is still a work in progress.
Just giving you crap. Nice work on the 920. Would like to see video from the Sony while your flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval