Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Has anyone used Carbon props to improve Q500 performance?

Reaction score
I'm on my third Q500 (one crash, one fly away and now my new replacement). I want to change the flexible props with Carbon.
My Tarot 810 6 motor drone, which is what I learned to fly on, had ridged plastic props, which I replaced with carbon.
I hate the flexible Yuneec props and don't think they are very responsive and they are very noisy. I have broken them a few times on my Q500, while either learning how to fly, or landing too fast on an angle, or even placing it into my car and snapping one of the blades (I store it assembled because I use it in different locations in one day for real estate photography). I just ordered a set of Carbon MAYTECH 13x4.5 CF props for the Q-500 and should receive it next week. But,I wanted to know if anyone is using these and have any suggestions before I mount them and fly?

Reactions: spyguy
have you made the swap to CF props? what are your impressions on the performance?
Please let me know, thanks!

Good morning,
yes, I swapped the props, but am not quite sure about the performance yet, but think I feel an increase in performance.

First, I didn't realize that I had to remove the rubber "o" rings as I couldn't get the CF props to screw down more than a few turns on the shaft. So being a bit nervous about the props falling off, I only went up about 25-30 feet and let the drone hover for a few minutes. The drone felt like it was drifting a few feet ( I always do a compass calibration before each flight since my last drone flew away), and the weather was not windy. A week later I realized I could remove the "o" rings and tighten down further on the shaft (I don't know if this is advised, or if you could get flatter "O" rings). I then re calibrated the compass and took the drone up about 125 feet. It seems to respond and fly differently, than with the regular props. I think more responsive and faster. But, I think you should do two tests in no wind situations. first with the regular props, hover for a while and see if there is much drifting, then fly it around as you normally do. Next, try the new CF props the same way, and see if you feel a difference. Be carful with the new CF props, they are sharp and I did cut myself while doing a compass calibration (I calibrate with the props mounted). The other thing I heard about CF props, is if you do crash with these stiff props, it could damage the Drone. I was told the normal flex props were designed to snap when they crash to absorb the impact. But I have broken many normal props, just handling the drone, and it gets expensive. plus, most local hobby shops didn't sell Typhoon props, so I had to mail order some extras, and had to postpone a photoshoot for a week.

Please let me know what you think and experience with the new CF props.

Good morning,
yes, I swapped the props, but am not quite sure about the performance yet, but think I feel an increase in performance.

First, I didn't realize that I had to remove the rubber "o" rings as I couldn't get the CF props to screw down more than a few turns on the shaft. So being a bit nervous about the props falling off, I only went up about 25-30 feet and let the drone hover for a few minutes. The drone felt like it was drifting a few feet ( I always do a compass calibration before each flight since my last drone flew away), and the weather was not windy. A week later I realized I could remove the "o" rings and tighten down further on the shaft (I don't know if this is advised, or if you could get flatter "O" rings). I then re calibrated the compass and took the drone up about 125 feet. It seems to respond and fly differently, than with the regular props. I think more responsive and faster. But, I think you should do two tests in no wind situations. first with the regular props, hover for a while and see if there is much drifting, then fly it around as you normally do. Next, try the new CF props the same way, and see if you feel a difference. Be carful with the new CF props, they are sharp and I did cut myself while doing a compass calibration (I calibrate with the props mounted). The other thing I heard about CF props, is if you do crash with these stiff props, it could damage the Drone. I was told the normal flex props were designed to snap when they crash to absorb the impact. But I have broken many normal props, just handling the drone, and it gets expensive. plus, most local hobby shops didn't sell Typhoon props, so I had to mail order some extras, and had to postpone a photoshoot for a week.

Please let me know what you think and experience with the new CF props.
Thanks for the quick reply and advice.
I may just stick with regular plastic then because the benefits of cf don't really out weigh the plastic props to me.

I would see if others have tried the CF props also. what I do like about the CF props, is that I don't snap them when I am removing and replacing my drone in my car for usage.
I do feel that the regular props are very flimsy and break easy. the new props were not very expensive (about $35) from Carolina Dronz. and worth a try.

My biggest complaint about my Q500 is that the batteries. don't last long. I'm not talking about flying time, (but that does decrease in months) but after a few months and using the supplied charger, (I have two) the batteries begin to swell, and I'm having an issue inserting and especially removing them from the drone. I didn't know if this is common with just Lipo batteries, but I am experiencing this with all of the ones I've gotten from Yuneec and after market ones also. I use a timer and only keep the batteries on for about 2-2 1/2 hrs. I wish there was an alternative to LIPO batteries.

Olá...Alguém pode me passar a lista de aparelho celular que eu possa usar o CGO3 e o STEADYGRIP?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430