Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Have you all calibrated your compass?

Reaction score
Wondering if it flew ok if you forgot to do a compass calibration. It much be the most complicated compass calibration of any drone?

Last edited:
Have you all calibrated your compass? Why I ask is Simon Newton from The Kitchen Table did not and not issues with his compass. Flied while without it.

Are they calibrating them in the factory as Simon said nothing about needing to in the manual?

Just wonder if anyone forgot like Simon and still flew well?

Not saying not to do a compass calibration, just asking if you forgot was it still ok?
I did, to me safer, my 2 cents!

Far more steps involved than the phantom or any other quad and unlike others needs to be facing North.

It's just not as quickly done as the others.

Just wished it was as easy and quick like the phantom. Which can be done in half the time.

I did it and honestly did not find it to be that easy, took me my third try. Question regarding calibration....do you have to calibrate it everytime you fly in a new area ? Also, do you have to recalibrate if you flew in a certain area and went back there to fly say a week later ? Thanks !!!!

I did it and honestly did not find it to be that easy, took me my third try. Question regarding calibration....do you have to calibrate it everytime you fly in a new area ? Also, do you have to recalibrate if you flew in a certain area and went back there to fly say a week later ? Thanks !!!!
No, as long as you do not travel more than say 50 miles from your calibration point, some say 100 mi, I prefer safety. No, If you have not flown and calibrated at another location, then that calibration will be lock in memory for when you return

Reactions: PRnNJs FINEST
Wondering if it flew ok if you forgot to do a compass calibration. It much be the most complicated compass calibration of any drone?
It could, but for $1400 why chance it ? you lose compass, you lose GPS, no good or faulty GPS =Spin= crash !:(

FWIW, Simon mentioned in his first video that nothing in the manual that came with the TH said anything about calibrating it so he treated it like what a typical consumer might and did not bother and it has worked fine for him.

I calibrated my first TH on first attempt, no problem. The second one I had a bit of difficulty seeing when the lights began flashing and was a bit delayed in getting started and the first attempt failed but I got it done the second time fine. I don't think it's complicated, kind of a fun mental exercise. :)

Reactions: DroneClone
FWIW, Simon mentioned in his first video that nothing in the manual that came with the TH said anything about calibrating it so he treated it like what a typical consumer might and did not bother and it has worked fine for him.

I calibrated my first TH on first attempt, no problem. The second one I had a bit of difficulty seeing when the lights began flashing and was a bit delayed in getting started and the first attempt failed but I got it done the second time fine. I don't think it's complicated, kind of a fun mental exercise. :)
That saves your H from GPS Cardiac Failure!;)

Reactions: n3srj and HarveyC
I calibrated my DJI before "Every" flight.. With the Fly away issues they have it was cheap insurance.. Granted it was easier cause i did it a few hundred times!;)

Far more steps involved than the phantom or any other quad and unlike others needs to be facing North.

It's just not as quickly done as the others.

Just wished it was as easy and quick like the phantom. Which can be done in half the time.
However, unlike the phantom, Yuneec products rarely need a compass calibration. This is really optional. If it needs a calibration, it will tell you on the monitor. Most of the Q500 owners I know, have never done a compass cal and never had any issues.

However, unlike the phantom, Yuneec products rarely need a compass calibration. This is really optional. If it needs a calibration, it will tell you on the monitor. Most of the Q500 owners I know, have never done a compass cal and never had any issues.
So do the P's but they recommend doing one after every update and distance from last calibration flight. I am new to Yuneec platforms, I pray you are right, not to doubt you at all Steve, but do you have that in writing from Yuneec. As I would love to not worry about them! LOL !:rolleyes:

I calibrated my DJI before "Every" flight.. With the Fly away issues they have it was cheap insurance.. Granted it was easier cause i did it a few hundred times!;)
Yuneec has a totally different flight program than DJI. I have never heard of an flyaway away with any Q500 partly because the bird and the controller both use GPS to maintain direction to home. The compass can be several degrees off and still not cause any problem. For those of us coming from a DJI background it may take awhile to get used to the idea that you don't need to be concerned with the calibration.

Yuneec has a totally different flight program than DJI. I have never heard of an flyaway away with any Q500 partly because the bird and the controller both use GPS to maintain direction to home. The compass can be several degrees off and still not cause any problem. For those of us coming from a DJI background it may take awhile to get used to the idea that you don't need to be concerned with the calibration.
Thanks Steve!

So do the P's but they recommend doing one after every update and distance from last calibration flight. I am new to Yuneec platforms, I pray you are right, not to doubt you at all Steve, but do you have that in writing from Yuneec. As I would love to not worry about them! LOL !:rolleyes:
During the firmware update all of the calibrations are zeroed out including the accelerometer and the compass. If you feel better about recalibrating there isn't a problem with that. I have quite a bit of experience with the Q and have found that most owners never mess with any calibrations unless they have a problem or the controller shows a message. Think about this.....if something actually goes wrong and you manage to calibrate the compass poorly, you might actually be causing a problem rather than avoiding one. I remember a long time ago an friend of mine who flew phantoms noted that most flyaways were right after a compass calibration and he always warned others to "Stop doing it".

During the firmware update all of the calibrations are zeroed out including the accelerometer and the compass. If you feel better about recalibrating there isn't a problem with that. I have quite a bit of experience with the Q and have found that most owners never mess with any calibrations unless they have a problem or the controller shows a message. Think about this.....if something actually goes wrong and you manage to calibrate the compass poorly, you might actually be causing a problem rather than avoiding one. I remember a long time ago an friend of mine who flew phantoms noted that most flyaways were right after a compass calibration and he always warned others to "Stop doing it".

Steve,

A question on the Q. How many sat minimum for a safe takeoff? I had conditions of 7-8 sats at a time this afternoon and lost gps 2 times.. granted the count was low.. just curious as what would apply to the H as well? thanks..

Reactions: Jeff B
Steve,

A question on the Q. How many sat minimum for a safe takeoff? I had conditions of 7-8 sats at a time this afternoon and lost gps 2 times.. granted the count was low.. just curious as what would apply to the H as well? thanks..
I would never take off with less than 7. As you point out that is borderline and GPS can drop out for a couple of minutes at any time. Normally you should see 12-20 for the Q500 and 7-12 on the ST10. If you fly in Angle mode and there is only a light breeze, it's less critical if you lose GPS.

I would never take off with less than 7. As you point out that is borderline and GPS can drop out for a couple of minutes at any time. Normally you should see 12-20 for the Q500 and 7-12 on the ST10. If you fly in Angle mode and there is only a light breeze, it's less critical if you lose GPS.

Thanks Steve..it is appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval