Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hello,wanted to introduce myself.

Reaction score
Hello, first off I am new to drones. I always wanted to explore this hobby and I finally pulled the trigger on the Yuneec Typhoon H. I was looking and so close to purchasing the phantom 4 but when I saw the Typhoon H I had to have it. So I watched countless videos on YouTube and took the plunge. I purchased from Brooklyn drones. They answered a lot of questions and were excellent with service. I purchased two extra batteries and the wizard comes free with the Hexacopter.

I know a lot of you probably can remember when you purchased your first drone. So any kind of advice you can deliver, I would VERY MUCH appreciate it. I mean ANYTHING. Now I wait until the order comes in.

Good Day/Night wherever you are.

Reactions: NFB
Welcome SCAPBT. I remember my first multirotor (many years ago now) I still have it and fly her occasionally, so much fun. I would recommend reading as much about the H as you can find. Start up procedure, Safe Circle (aka Circle of Death) etc.
Once you are very familiar with the fine print go out to a large empty park/field with no distractions whatsoever and begin to learn the basic controls. Just fly around and get to grips with how it responds. Don't even worry about filming or taking photos until your comfortable flying.
Oh, and have fun.

Someone started a thread for newbies on here. Will see if I can find the link..

Hello, first off I am new to drones. I always wanted to explore this hobby and I finally pulled the trigger on the Yuneec Typhoon H. I was looking and so close to purchasing the phantom 4 but when I saw the Typhoon H I had to have it. So I watched countless videos on YouTube and took the plunge. I purchased from Brooklyn drones. They answered a lot of questions and were excellent with service. I purchased two extra batteries and the wizard comes free with the Hexacopter.

I know a lot of you probably can remember when you purchased your first drone. So any kind of advice you can deliver, I would VERY MUCH appreciate it. I mean ANYTHING. Now I wait until the order comes in.

Welcome. The only advice I have is to become familiar with the settings on the ST16 and the readout as well. Just fly slow (keep it in turtle mode) and take it easy. Fly in a big field free of all obstacles. The following assumes you will fly in ANGLE MODE and the landing gear is left DOWN.

Just remember to place the drone on the ground with the camera facing away from you (you're staring at the back). Take off by giving it full up left stick until it rises to eye level or higher then release all sticks. Then fly directly away from you (right stick up) for about 50 meters and stop (release all sticks). rotate drone to the left 90 degrees (push left stick left & release stick). Now Fly 50 feet (right stick up) and stop (release all sticks). Rotate drone to the left (left stick left then release stick) then fly 50 feet and again stop (release all sticks). Rotate one last time to the left (left stick to the left, then release) and fly back to where you're standing. In essence you're flying a square. Try to make a square once to the left, and then one to the right. When you feel confident, then try a figure 8. To land, find a clear spot and bring it down slow until you get 3 feet from the ground, then bring it down with some intent (left stick down). As soon as the legs touch the ground, keep the left stick down and at the same time hold the red start/stop button in.

Reactions: DroneClone
Yes, if you fly in what Yuneec recommends for beginners(Smart Mode), MAKE SURE to take off and land, well out side of the 26' Circle of Death. If you have never ever flown I recommend a cheap $50 drone to practice with like a Hudson H107C, to learn stick commands. And do not fly near people, buildings and TREES till you get the hang of it! Thus not using Obstacle Avoidance, try to switch it off while learning as you should be well away from anything while getting used to her! Manual, Videos Tutorials and more manuals before you take off. Watch battery voltage too, so much, too little time! By the way Welcome !

Personally, I would recommend you get a cheap "toy" drone like a Hubsan H4 or a Syma X5C as I did a few weeks ago. They are very cheap, great fun to learn to fly with and don't break expensively when you, inevitably, crash them!

I second that motion. Get a cheap drone to practice with

Welcome. The only advice I have is to become familiar with the settings on the ST16 and the readout as well. Just fly slow (keep it in turtle mode) and take it easy. Fly in a big field free of all obstacles. The following assumes you will fly in ANGLE MODE and the landing gear is left DOWN.

Just remember to place the drone on the ground with the camera facing away from you (you're staring at the back). Take off by giving it full up left stick until it rises to eye level or higher then release all sticks. Then fly directly away from you (right stick up) for about 50 meters and stop (release all sticks). rotate drone to the left 90 degrees (push left stick left & release stick). Now Fly 50 feet (right stick up) and stop (release all sticks). Rotate drone to the left (left stick left then release stick) then fly 50 feet and again stop (release all sticks). Rotate one last time to the left (left stick to the left, then release) and fly back to where you're standing. In essence you're flying a square. Try to make a square once to the left, and then one to the right. When you feel confident, then try a figure 8. To land, find a clear spot and bring it down slow until you get 3 feet from the ground, then bring it down with some intent (left stick down). As soon as the legs touch the ground, keep the left stick down and at the same time hold the red start/stop button in.
Thanx for the replies guys. I have literally been like a fiend looking for a fix.i have been trying to watch / read everything about the H. Also I am fortunate to have a very BIG property( Country Life). So I can practice.

Yes, if you fly in what Yuneec recommends for beginners(Smart Mode), MAKE SURE to take off and land, well out side of the 26' Circle of Death. If you have never ever flown I recommend a cheap $50 drone to practice with like a Hudson H107C, to learn stick commands. And do not fly near people, buildings and TREES till you get the hang of it! Thus not using Obstacle Avoidance, try to switch it off while learning as you should be well away from anything while getting used to her! Manual, Videos Tutorials and more manuals before you take off. Watch battery voltage too, so much, too little time! By the way Welcome !
Thanx for the insight. I will take all of ya'lls advice and suggestions and implement them.

Thanx for the insight. I will take all of ya'lls advice and suggestions and implement them.
Great idea. Welcome..

I am more or less new to the hobby myself. I played with several small copters etc.. but nothing I consider serious. I have the original parrot but it was hard to fly using just a phone with no real controllers etc.. and not the greatest.

So the H is my first serious drone and is a huge learning experience.
I just got it yesterday. Only hovered it in the yard to see if things seem to be working. Got too close to some weeds and already broke my first prop. :) Didn't hurt anything though. Can't wait to get it to a field.

My only advice, for what it is worth, is to do what I am doing, and what you said you are already doing, watch every Youtube video you can. I have watched every video posted that is tagged "typhoon h." I ordered mine a few months ago so had time. I check it at least once a day and filter by upload date. I have also read a lot of articles and of course read the forums. Go back and read as many posts as you can here.

You mentioned you are already doing this so you are ahead of the game.

I will say this, the Typhoon community here so far is heads above others. I was going to buy a DJI a year or so ago so viewed some forums and in general things were okay but a lot of complaints on DJI's bad customer service but also a lot of impatience. Some guys there came across as jerks towards new people or just in general. Turned me off of DJI to be honest. A lot of them had that MAC user, we are better than everything, attitude. I also hated the generic, ugly, white look of the phantoms. :)

Hint: I am a PC/Android guy. :)

Anyway learn as much as you can about the ST16, watch all the walk-throughs on it, learn what every button and mode is and what they do. Learn about the camera and how to control everything with it on the ST16. The ST16 is complicated especially at first.

I am still learning and will continue to do so. I am still a newb but am learning, slowly.

We can all learn together.

If you are not used to flying with the real controllers, I am still a novice, fly it slow and steady for awhile. Use turtle mode and don't use smart mode. I am learning to not rely on that right from the start.

Last edited:
I am more or less new to the hobby myself. I played with several small copters etc.. but nothing I consider serious. I have the original parrot but it was hard to fly using just a phone with no gimbals etc.. and not the greatest.

I just got it yesterday. Only hovered it in the yard to see if things seem to be working. Got too close to some weeds and already broke my first prop. :) Didn't hurt anything though. Can't wait to get it to a field.

My only advice, for what it is worth, is to do what I am doing, and what you said you are already doing, watch every Youtube video you can. I have watched every video posted that is tagged "typhoon h." I ordered mine a few months ago so had time. I check it at least once a day and filter by upload date. I have also read a lot of articles and of course read the forums. Go back and read as many posts as you can here.

I will say this, the Typhoon community here so far is heads above others. I was going to buy a DJI a year or so ago so viewed some forums and in general things were okay but a lot of complaints on DJI's bad customer service but also a lot of impatience. Some guys there came across as jerks towards new people or just in general. Turned me off of DJI to be honest. A lot of them had that MAC user, we are better than everything, attitude. I also hated the generic, ugly, white look of the phantoms. :)

Anyway learn as much as you can about the ST16, watch all the walk-throughs on it, learn what every button and mode is and what they do. Learn about the camera and how to control everything with it on the ST16. The ST16 is complicated especially at first.

I am still learning and will continue to do so. I am still a newb but am learning, slowly.

If you are not used to flying with the gimbals, I am still a novice, fly it
Welcome Paladin ! You will learn alot from a bunch of good people on here!;)

I am more or less new to the hobby myself. I played with several small copters etc.. but nothing I consider serious. I have the original parrot but it was hard to fly using just a phone with no gimbals etc.. and not the greatest.

If you are not used to flying with the gimbals, I am still a novice, fly it slow and steady for awhile. Use turtle mode and don't use smart mode. I am learning to not rely on that right from the start.
I appreciate it the reply. Fell asleep watching H videos haha

Welcome! Pretty good group of folks from around the globe here.. Enjoy your stay!

I appreciate it the reply. Fell asleep watching H videos haha

Yeah a lot are kind of boring. :)
You can avoid most f the un-packng videos once you watch one. :)

You can avoid most of the Ariel footage ones unless they look interesting.

Some of the best so far have been from Ming Lou. He is crazy but I mean that in a good way. :)

He flies his drones pretty far over the South China Sea and over islands in Hong Kong. His Videos look beautiful on a 4K TV. Very impressive results from the H. He used a different passive antenna for the video feed but otherwise as far as I can tell nothing else but what comes in the box. Awesome.

He also demos various things others have not yet like when he sent his drone across a bay to retrieve an HDMI cable from a friend.
He is the only demo I have seen so far of the H flying on 5 rotors. He also demoed it flying in pretty high winds when a hurricane as heading towards Hong Kong.
See, crazy!! :)

I mainly look for ones that are informative and basically video manuals.

Tigger's RC Reviews did 3 very good ones recently covering the ST16 in some detail. These are the types of videos that are really helpful for us beginners.
Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Simon newton, a member here, has some good videos, I really enjoy his stuff. Seems like a good guy and he is neutral on his drone coverage. He also covers other drones like DJI gear and I never feel like he is a fanboy of anything, just informative.

Simon also did a nice Typhoon H review.
Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Yuneec Typhoon H Review - Pt 3: First flight and first impressions

Part 4:

Yuneec Typhoon H Review - Pt 4: Camera test with link to raw files

(The last videos only posted links, unsure why, maybe a forum limit.)

There are some other videos that look very informative, covering very detailed things like editing the channels, but a lot of those are not in English. :(

Not that I want to edit the channels but I like the technical details. I am an IT guy and curious. :)

I have not seen any others yet covering the same subjects but I am sure they will come since the H is finally getting out there.

I hope I am not posting too much, if so let me know. I just get excited on this stuff and am trying to help. :)

Last edited:

Yeah a lot are kind of boring. :)
You can avoid most f the un-packng videos once you watch one. :)

You can avoid most of the Ariel footage ones unless they look interesting.

Some of the best so far have been from Ming Lou. He is crazy but I mean that in a good way. :)

He flies his drones pretty far over the South China Sea and over islands in Hong Kong. His Videos look beautiful on a 4K TV. Very impressive results from the H. He used a different passive antenna for the video feed but otherwise as far as I can tell nothing else but what comes in the box. Awesome.

He also demos various things others have not yet like when he sent his drone across a bay to retrieve an HDMI cable from a friend.
He is the only demo I have seen so far of the H flying on 5 rotors. He also demoed it flying in pretty high winds when a hurricane as heading towards Hong Kong.
See, crazy!! :)

I mainly look for ones that are informative and basically video manuals.

Tigger's RC Reviews did 3 very good ones recently covering the ST16 in some detail. These are the types of videos that are really helpful for us beginners.
Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Simon newton, a member here, has some good videos, I really enjoy his stuff. Seems like a good guy and he is neutral on his drone coverage. He also covers other drones like DJI gear and I never feel like he is a fanboy of anything, just informative.

Simon also did a nice Typhoon H review.
Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Yuneec Typhoon H Review - Pt 3: First flight and first impressions

Part 4:

Yuneec Typhoon H Review - Pt 4: Camera test with link to raw files

(The last videos only posted links, unsure why, maybe a forum limit.)

There are some other videos that look very informative, covering very detailed things like editing the channels, but a lot of those are not in English. :(

Not that I want to edit the channels but I like the technical details. I am an IT guy and curious. :)

I have not seen any others yet covering the same subjects but I am sure they will come since the H is finally getting out there.

I hope I am not posting too much, if so let me know. I just get excited on this stuff and am trying to help. :)
Oh no, your good. I have seen a few of the ones you posted and will watch the ones I have not.
Thanx

Just remember that we are newbs to the H and we are all trying to be educated on all it's functions that are not in the manuals or even video's yet, so bear with the "Boring" and filter out the ones you desire! Welcome aboard! Safe Flying !

Alright! I received my H. DANG......... THIS THING IS AWESOME. I have been flying like a baby( rightfully so) but I'm getting the hang of it. Hope all of ya'll are good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval