Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

HELP...Clumsy Dumbass Needs Help!!!

Reaction score
I was installing the IteLite range extender that I got in the mail an hour ago. Everything went very well. I had all the wires run, connected etc and was just finished tightening the cable leads.

When I put ST 10 back down on the desk, the two black and red wires that are soldered to the board had gotten pulled out of the solder! CRAP!

I am admittedly not the best solderer, my "knowledge" is limited and I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Is there a particular type of solder I should use, what about the type of soldering iron/gun? What should I do to strip the wire? Can I use a lighter and just burn off a little insulation?

Anyway, I have no idea how this happened, I was being very careful...But apparently NOT careful enough!

Thanks In Advance for any Guidance you folks can give me!

TW

If they pulled out they had cold solder joints (the solder didn’t flow to form a unified bond between the board and the wires) and were faulty to begin with. You can tell if that was the case as there would be a cavity in the solder joint where the wire pulled out.

How large are the wires and the pads they need to be soldered to? With manufacturing going to lead free soldering it is a little trickier to solder now. The melting points are a little higher and you need to use a matching flux so the solder flows properly.

Not sure if you have any electronic hobby shops near you, but that would be a good place to start. Another alternative would be a computer tech with soldering skills. Wouldn’t take them long to put you back in business.

If you have no skills to do it this is your best option.

Not sure if you have any electronic hobby shops near you, but that would be a good place to start. Another alternative would be a computer tech with soldering skills. Wouldn’t take them long to put you back in business.

Whew! I was waiting at the door this morning for Hobby Town USA to open! The guy who opened the store said they don't do ANY solder work on anything they don't sell and if the unit fried or the board, then they would be liable. I told him, I absolve you of any responsibility for anything that may happen as a result of any repair and please at least take a look at it...He was reluctant because of the tiny solder points and not having a small enough tip...But said he would try, but not charge me anything....Well, OK...Have at it. about 10 minutes later, it was done and the neg was on the neg and the positive on the positive. I thanked him PROFUSELY, returned home, put everything back together, turned on the ST10, it booted up no problem!

I am truly blessed....Maybe it's because tomorrow is my 70th Birthday:D

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Whew! I was waiting at the door this morning for Hobby Town USA to open! The guy who opened the store said they don't do ANY solder work on anything they don't sell and if the unit fried or the board, then they would be liable. I told him, I absolve you of any responsibility for anything that may happen as a result of any repair and please at least take a look at it...He was reluctant because of the tiny solder points and not having a small enough tip...But said he would try, but not charge me anything....Well, OK...Have at it. about 10 minutes later, it was done and the neg was on the neg and the positive on the positive. I thanked him PROFUSELY, returned home, put everything back together, turned on the ST10, it booted up no problem!

I am truly blessed....Maybe it's because tomorrow is my 70th Birthday:D

Happy Birthday TW !!! :p

Glad you got someone to do the job for you, and more than happy that all is well with your ST-10+. Happy flying!

Reactions: Texas_Willie
Thanks Folks!

I know it's a bit late, but HBD, and for future reference, guitar shops might be able to handle this type of solder work. However, they may also refuse on the same grounds as the hobby shop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my