Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Here we go!

clackey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought it'd be a good time to get to know some fellow pilots...

Novice pilot, web entrepreneur, aspiring urban farmer, husband, father of 4, proud Texan...

Hi Clackey,

My name is Rick, I have over 30 years R/C Airplane flight experience, former U.S. Scale Masters Competitor, Founding Member of the NorthWest Scale Aero-modellers , over 30 years experience in photography, video and 6 years as a volunteer in the "Whale Watching Spoken Here" organization which is the largest land based volunteer Whale Watch group in the world. I will be using my Q500 4K to shoot video and stills for my own purposes and also volunteering to capture video and stills for marine mammal research (All legit...will be working with marine biologists).

My Q500 4K arrived about 4 weeks ago; spent two and half rainy weeks pouring through forums and YouTube videos making sure I had all of my gear ready when a sun break might appear. Have been able to get a couple of short flights so far and I am very very impressed with this system!

Looking forward to sharing great experiences, media, tips, tricks and learning from all of you experienced pilots, videographers and still photographers in this forum.

Hi Clackey,

My name is Rick, I have over 30 years R/C Airplane flight experience, former U.S. Scale Masters Competitor, Founding Member of the NorthWest Scale Aero-modellers , over 30 years experience in photography, video and 6 years as a volunteer in the "Whale Watching Spoken Here" organization which is the largest land based volunteer Whale Watch group in the world. I will be using my Q500 4K to shoot video and stills for my own purposes and also volunteering to capture video and stills for marine mammal research (All legit...will be working with marine biologists).

My Q500 4K arrived about 4 weeks ago; spent two and half rainy weeks pouring through forums and YouTube videos making sure I had all of my gear ready when a sun break might appear. Have been able to get a couple of short flights so far and I am very very impressed with this system!

Looking forward to sharing great experiences, media, tips, tricks and learning from all of you experienced pilots, videographers and still photographers in this forum.

Very impressive resume, Rick. Hope you can share some of your expert opinions of aerial photography. I am neither in your category with RC planes or photography but I immediately loved this new found hobby, from the first time I went airborne with the Q500 4K.

Reactions: Drone Boy
Hi Roland,

What makes the R/C hobby community so great in my opinion is that everyone wants to share what they know and learn with others.
I am sure I will be helping anyone who asks for it and I hope others will do the same for me :)

Last edited:
I have been an avid RC hobbyist since I was a kid. Everything from control line aircraft, home built crawlers, nitro monster trucks, helicopters, etc. I like to build my own RC's including multi rotors. My wife and I own a small business here in New York where if it's not taxed yet, it soon will be! :D I am also an amateur photographer with a great interest in night photography. Flying camera platforms have really opened up the possibilities.

Reactions: Drone Boy
I have been an avid RC hobbyist since I was a kid. Everything from control line aircraft, home built crawlers, nitro monster trucks, helicopters, etc. I like to build my own RC's including multi rotors. My wife and I own a small business here in New York where if it's not taxed yet, it soon will be! :D I am also an amateur photographer with a great interest in night photography. Flying camera platforms have really opened up the possibilities.
Where in New York?? Im in Syracuse.

Live in East Greenwich Rhode Island where I fly this quad mostly over coastal waters. Retired school teacher, mechanical engineer, now full time seasonal boat captain doing charter fishing trips. I plan on launching this bird from my boat this spring trying to catch a shot of some fish migrations, surface activities and nature activities.

Do a lot of fishing Power Points around the area, hopefully integrate more aerial video into each program. This is cutting edge stuff so it's nice to be the first on the block. Use my other photography and writing skills to contribute to several saltwater fly fishing magazines.

I've flown the 500 4k since late August, plenty of flight time since. Started with a toy drone before to see if the investment was worth exploring.
Boy did that first drone crash all the time. Cheap models are no indication of skill level, I've found out.
They just don't respond to poor weak signals. Not into building models, just flying them successfully. That's my story.... I'm sticking to it.

I thought it'd be a good time to get to know some fellow pilots...

Novice pilot, web entrepreneur, aspiring urban farmer, husband, father of 4, proud Texan...

Retired USN. Now in the Tech industry. Golfer / Shooter / RC enthusiast. Now an avid fan of the drone fad. It's more than a fad for me now as I delve into the intricacies of the drone world. Looking forward to my first mod on my ST10+. I live in the bay area where the scenes are just spectacular. I am looking forward to flying by the golden gate bridge for some video footage.

Hi Clackey,

hi, my name is Scott,I live in Florida,and I am almost a complete noob to drone flying.I have a newq500+ that just came a fe days ago.I have not flown it yet.I am hoping that I CAN fly it.I have a couple of toy quads that I can fly under ideal conditions.The main issue is I am paralyzed on my left sided i.e. to a stroke and onlyonly get out of bed to get in my wheelchair.So,I have to fly my quads with my right arm only.I have to move my hand back and forth between throttle and aileron.It looks like the Yuneec pretty much flies itself so I am hoping I can use it itI am typing this on an ipadwhich is what I use for Internet and email.I will be back if I get her airborne talk to all later.See ya.

[QTE="Scott Gibson, post: 2061, member: 745"]hi, my name is Scott,I live in Florida,and I am almost a complete noob to drone flying.I have a newq500+ that just came a fe days ago.I have not flown it yet.I am hoping that I CAN fly it.I have a couple of toy quads that I can fly under ideal conditions.The main issue is I am paralyzed on my left sided i.e. to a stroke and onlyonly get out of bed to get in my wheelchair.So,I have to fly my quads with my right arm only.I have to move my hand back and forth between throttle and aileron.It looks like the Yuneec pretty much flies itself so I am hoping I can use it itI am typing this on an ipadwhich is what I use for Internet and email.I will be back if I get her airborne talk to all later.See ya.[/QUOTE]

I think with a little practice you will be pleased with this platform!

Bet there's a way of attaching the TX to the right arm of the wheel chair to make it easier to control and handle the device.

thank you Rick,

I'vethoughtof that.Our oldest daughter's fiancé isa general aviation A&P mechanic.He is not certified,but he has worked for a localFBOsincehe was a teenagers do I think he could do that.He's. Enthusiastic about drones since I bought him a SymaX5C.My stepson and nephew are eager to get the Typhoon in the air,but it is a little too windy today.I have not updated the firmware yet,and am wondering how critical it is. I am tempted to fly it as it came out of the box.What is the general consensus on flying with the factory firmware? Is it doable or courting disaster.?I had a nice laptop,but it disappeared while I Was in the hospitalI can probably get access to a computer if it's absolutely necessary,but I would rather not need to.Thanks for the advice and the post.W Scott Gibson

Hi, I also am in Syracuse
Hey, my name is Joe. I am new to these quads as well. I recently purchased a 500 and had it air borne last weekend right out of the box with no firmware updates. Never had a problem except for breathing when it first left the ground. It is so cool. I'm going to love it. I won't get much flying time in the next few months as I live 200 miles E/NE of Toronto. Come on spring!!

thank you Rick,

I'vethoughtof that.Our oldest daughter's fiancé isa general aviation A&P mechanic.He is not certified,but he has worked for a localFBOsincehe was a teenagers do I think he could do that.He's. Enthusiastic about drones since I bought him a SymaX5C.My stepson and nephew are eager to get the Typhoon in the air,but it is a little too windy today.I have not updated the firmware yet,and am wondering how critical it is. I am tempted to fly it as it came out of the box.What is the general consensus on flying with the factory firmware? Is it doable or courting disaster.?I had a nice laptop,but it disappeared while I Was in the hospitalI can probably get access to a computer if it's absolutely necessary,but I would rather not need to.Thanks for the advice and the post.W Scott Gibson

this Sunday looks promising.It is supposed to be Sunny with an 11mph wind out of the west.There's a park about 1/4mile from the house.I can get there in my wheelchair fairly quickly.I'msure someone else will bring me the quad and theST10+.It would be nice to finally get it off the ground.If it happens,I will post a first flight report.We gave a friend a CanonVixia HF g20for his birthday so maybe he will document the event for YouTube.I'll let you know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval