Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Here's the difference between a go pro at 60Mbps and a CGO3+

which is topping out at 50Mbps.

A 4:22 second long yuneec file recorded at 3.8K/24fps "raw" produces a 1.64GB file

GoPro Hero 4 Black was 4:13 seconds long Recorded at 3.8K/24fps protune is 1.9GB or 20% larger nominalized for run time which is equal to the difference in Bit rate

Part of the other problem is that the Yuneec image profile is not that great looking when you run it side by side with a better camera

not accounting for the different F.O.V. between the two cameras these tow grabs from video shows what I'm talking about.
That's the Yuneec camera

and that's a GoPro.

Disappointing at best because the Typhoon H airframe flies so great compared to everything else out there.

A GoPro 4 slung under the H would be pretty cool. I have a Typhoon G and flew with the GP4 under that. The wider FOV created too many opportunities for the props the enter the shot, but the video was much better than the Q500 4K or the H.

I dislike the camera as well, but it is what it is. Thank you for putting that together.

What did you use for settings on the CGO3? I never get colors like that unless I leave it in auto.

I would be hesitant to draw conclusions from those images. The whitebalance is drastically different but is irrelevant as a measure of quality -- you should set it manually and/or correct it in post. Also, the GoPro image has sharpening artifacts that would be much harder to correct than the issues I see with the CGO3+.

Reactions: Steve Carr
"Raw" on the cgo3+ isn't really raw. White balance is still important. There is little or no sharpening added, saturation and contrast are low in a cgo3+ raw image. These must be added to have a pleasing image. You didn't mention what corrections you made to the raw images.

I don't know any details about the GoPro, but there is a ton of sharpening in that image.

If you discount for color balance and the sharpening, the images are pretty similar.

Both images are RAW and in RAW white balance is irrelevant. and I disagree 100% on the sharpening artifacts. You're being fooled by the higher bitrate and better contrast from the GoPro. The simple fact alone of the greater bitrate of the GoPro makes that camera a better choice than the CGO3+
The sharpening artifacts are not a result of the higher bitrate, they are caused by GoPro's overly aggressive default sharpening in Protune mode. Even if you had unlimited bandwidth it wouldn't cause stair-stepping on the roofing tiles and near-horizontal edges -- that is sharpening.

Well to my uneducated eye, I like the cgo3 photo. The color seem better.

What did you use for settings on the CGO3? I never get colors like that unless I leave it in auto.
Steve, one of my (many) complaints with my CGO3+ camera is the extremely warm (high color temperature) video I have gotten on bright sunny days using either Auto or Sunny WB. It doesn't seem to make a difference, at least with my particular setup. I give you Exhibit A (the only test video I've ever uploaded from my POS CGO3+):

Edit: Anyone else notice the softness (out of focus) issues here?

Since the camera unit seems modular to the extent that it is freely disconnected from the multi, does anyone else thing this may have been a short-term solution all along and that another camera (+$$, obviously) is in the works and may become available? Is the interface to the plug/connector documented.? Could third party support easily be added?

Just throwing that out there.

Steve, one of my (many) complaints with my CGO3+ camera is the extremely warm (high color temperature) video I have gotten on bright sunny days using either Auto or Sunny WB.

I like the sunset setting better for sunny days.

The camera appears to have it's white balance skewed to photograph asian skin better than Caucasian skin. Canon to some extent bias's the white balance in that direction
I can't believe you said that. That's the stupidest thing I've heard in forums in quite a while (and I've heard A LOT of stupid).

The camera appears to have it's white balance skewed to photograph asian skin better than Caucasian skin. Canon to some extent bias's the white balance in that direction
YIKES!!!! I've never heard anyone use skin color as a reference for white balance???? If Donald Trump owned a camera company would the white balance be set to orange? :)

I agree that the Typhoon H does have a white balance issue so it's best to film in Natural and just do the post-processing white balance adjustments.

Reactions: DroneRanger
I must be doing it wrong, I'm Asian but don't have the skin tone of lots of other Asians, who also don't have the skin tone of lots of Asians other than them, who yet still vary in skin tone from yet more Asians.

It's almost like such a broad categorization would reek of ignorance and subtle racism.

Hey I'm beginning to like this forum more and more. All of the guys here put their pants on one leg at a time. Meaning there is no room for racism period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval