Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Histogram

Reaction score
I was looking at my
ST16 controller the
day and I am curious
what is the histogram
setting ?
in other words what the
heck does it do ?
Thanks Keith Kuhn

The histogram in and of itself does nothing as is basically a graphical representation of the light brightness level of an image established by your camera settings. It is used as a tool to judge exposure before taking a photo. Weighted to the right is bright, weighted to the left is dark. Moving the scale in either direction is accomplished by adjusting the camera settings.

Several methods of obtaining an estimate of exposure are used in better cameras, Zebra, a method that depicts brightness levels using thin diagonal lines in over exposed areas, is one. A histogram is probably the most common. Both were created as tools to reduce the need for a separate hand held light meter in creating better photographs.

The histogram in and of itself does nothing as is basically a graphical representation of the light brightness level of an image established by your camera settings. It is used as a tool to judge exposure before taking a photo. Weighted to the right is bright, weighted to the left is dark. Moving the scale in either direction is accomplished by adjusting the camera settings.

Several methods of obtaining an estimate of exposure are used in better cameras, Zebra, a method that depicts brightness levels using thin diagonal lines in over exposed areas, is one. A histogram is probably the most common. Both were created as tools to reduce the need for a separate hand held light meter in creating better photographs.

Thanks
I had no clue.
Keith Kuhn

I know Captain drone had mentioned it in 1 of his tutorial videos,,it's not titled as such but he is talking about the H camera functions,probably in 2016 0r 2017.I have played with it a little. You can slide it around on the screen with your finger. Keith C.

Thank You
I may check it out if
I get board.

I have found the histogram to be useful for me in helping to obtain proper exposure. If you are shooting in dng/jpeg then remember that the st16s screen shows jpeg and the histogram is set up for jpeg not dng. Dng images are a little darker, less exposed than jpeg so you can expose a little more to the right as long as it is not clipping.
I am in no way close to an expert but have played around with it some. Hope this helps.

I have found the histogram to be useful for me in helping to obtain proper exposure. If you are shooting in dng/jpeg then remember that the st16s screen shows jpeg and the histogram is set up for jpeg not dng. Dng images are a little darker, less exposed than jpeg so you can expose a little more to the right as long as it is not clipping.
I am in no way close to an expert but have played around with it some. Hope this helps.

Does this apply the video files also ?
Or is the Histogram just good for stills.
Thanks Keith Kuhn

Does this apply the video files also ?
Or is the Histogram just good for stills.
Thanks Keith Kuhn
Hi Keith. The histogram is used to help you gage the light in the seen that you are trying to capture. It is used for stills and video alike. You can use a gray card at the start of your flight to set the white balance in the light you are shooting in.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Hi Keith. The histogram is used to help you gage the light in the seen that you are trying to capture. It is used for stills and video alike. You can use a gray card at the start of your flight to set the white balance in the light you are shooting in.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Thanks Mike
Perfect Answer.
KK

Reactions: Mike Irish
Thanks Mike
Perfect Answer.
KK
Just something else you could try out but it will cost you a few more $. The colour checker passport is a color correction tool that that lots of colours of known values. You can introduce it into you photo or video at the start of your flight this will give you acret colours from the get go. You will also need some software that can take advantage of it. At the moment I am looking at some video software and I hope to come up with one that will easy to learn and south my budget.
I will hopefully come back to you on this n a couple of weeks.
Regards.
Mike

Just something else you could try out but it will cost you a few more $. The colour checker passport is a color correction tool that that lots of colours of known values. You can introduce it into you photo or video at the start of your flight this will give you acret colours from the get go. You will also need some software that can take advantage of it. At the moment I am looking at some video software and I hope to come up with one that will easy to learn and south my budget.
I will hopefully come back to you on this n a couple of weeks.
Regards.
Mike

I Use Corel Video
Studio Pro.
User Friendly.
Go to KK Motion Pictures
On Youtube

Reactions: Mike Irish
I Use Corel Video
Studio Pro.
User Friendly.
Go to KK Motion Pictures
On Youtube
Thank you Keith. I will take a look that and get back to you.
Regards.
Mike

so it almost sounds like the st16 has a histogram but the st24 doesn't?

Last edited:
so it almost sounds like the st26 has a histogram but the st24 doesn't?
If the ST24 has one it will be accessible in the camera settings, the same as with the ST16/CGO3+ combination.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval