Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How Close is Close

Reaction score
I showed a Battalion Fire Chief how close I am able to get to an object, I chose a palm tree. It was quite windy and gust in the upper teens low 20's.
I was sure of my skills. The video is more hair raising though.
Nice detail:cool:
Pictures captured from video using GOM Player
ISO 100 Shutter at 200

YUN00006a2.gif

YUN00006a3.gif

I showed a Battalion Fire Chief how close I am able to get to an object, I chose a palm tree. It was quite windy and gust in the upper teens low 20's.
ISO 100 Shutter at 200

View attachment 9567

View attachment 9568

MY FAULT ON THIS CLOSE CALL
K KUHN

ISO 100 Shutter at 200

View attachment 9567

View attachment 9568

Were you demonstrating a landing? :DLOL - that is close. Nice job.

ACTUALLY I NEVER KNEW THE TOWER WAS THERE.
THE SUN WAS IN MY EYES, AND I WAS ON THE
OTHER SIDE OF A BUILDING. I GOT REAL
LUCKY.
KEITH
Always wise to do a thorough site assessment of a place you intend to fly (initially with Google Earth or Altitude Angel then actually on-site) so that you can determine the presence and positions of power lines and other structures so that you have a good knowledge of what you should be avoiding before you even lift off from the ground. Oh, and never have a building between you and the aircraft masking your LOS.

I always do such an assessment of a site whether it's a commercial or a hobby flight. I recall a hobby flight I did a couple of years ago where I knew I would be flying the aircraft to below my take-off height into a small valley. The site assessment revealed power lines running down the valley that were difficult to see from my take-off position...doing that survey potentially saved me from having a crash that day.

Reactions: Nesher and PACOBERT
Always wise to do a thorough site assessment of a place you intend to fly (initially with Google Earth or Altitude Angel then actually on-site) so that you can determine the presence and positions of power lines and other structures so that you have a good knowledge of what you should be avoiding before you even lift off from the ground. Oh, and never have a building between you and the aircraft masking your LOS.

I always do such an assessment of a site whether it's a commercial or a hobby flight. I recall a hobby flight I did a couple of years ago where I knew I would be flying the aircraft to below my take-off height into a small valley. The site assessment revealed power lines running down the valley that were difficult to see from my take-off position...doing that survey potentially saved me from having a crash that day.

YOU ARE RITE. I WAS TRYING TO STAY OUT OF THE SUN.
I GOT LUCKY THAT DAY.
KEITH

Were you demonstrating a landing? :DLOL - that is close. Nice job.
No, he just wanted to see how close I could get while he was wearing the FPV goggles and what kind of detail he would view.
After viewing the footage I was surprise the protruded thingamajig didn't hit my propeller or any part of the bird. Heck I was standing only about 40 feet from the tree. I did see the thingamajig from the ground but didn't realize how close to it I got.:eek:

That thingamajig is a recent evolutionary adaptation of palm trees to protect against multirotor aircraft. You were lucky to have stayed just out of reach. They can be quite deadly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder