Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How Close to Power Poles /Towers Is Safe for Inspection

Reaction score
As stated in my title.
What drones (preferably Yuneec) would be beneficial to inspect power poles and power towers. Low to high voltages?
How close would be safe?

Did some body design a cage for the H or all the H's out of carbon fiber?

Faraday cage
"....... you can also wrap a piece of carbon fiber around your flight controller."

"......A Faraday cage can take care of this. Installing a Faraday cage will help prevent your flight controller from frying up due to ferromagnetic interference...."

Last edited:
If anything, I would expect the H520 would be the craft, with an E50 attached. Would not think one would need to get too close, as in putting the craft in harms way.

Didn’t we read about better tolerance to interference for these very tasks? I bet there is anecdotal research posted as to this very topic.

Keep in mind, magnifying the captured images post flight is in the tool bag. Also, might this be where the 4 - 8 power digital zoom comes in handy, allowing the pilot/observer to “see” more precisely without risking the equipment unnecessarily?

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

I did a little research on this a bit over a year ago. A Google search will eventually turn up a voltage/separation table that lists minimum separation for different voltages for people and equipment. Direct conversations with PG&E concluded that 14-25’ should work most of the time. Get too close and an electrical arc is possible.

As high voltage lines often leak RF, often in the 800MHz range, you’ll still need to test the performance of your system cautiously to determine if radio interference will be a problem.

The line workers that do aerial work from outside a helicopter wear a full coverage body suit designed as a Faraday cage for protection. The amount of coverage provided is a lot more than multirotors could carry if they were designed with similar coverage.

I'm familiar with aerial linemen, as I have seen this on TV documentaries. I admire the pilot more than the lineman, hey I bias.:cool::p
I'm charging up couple batteries now.
Going out to see how close I can get to low voltages then hopefully work up to medium voltage. o_O
I will have pics, and if I explode, :oops: :eek:(that'll be cool) just maybe my card will have video of it all? Na, it'll fry also.:rolleyes:
My St will have results.:cool:

The low voltage stuff allows for fairly close work. Things like local power poles aren’t too bad but steer clear of transformers. The big caternary tower lines carry extremely high voltage through uninsulated wires so some separation should be maintained with those. 14’ was what I recall as a minimum for 400kV lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
Well, I was going to fly but droplets from the sky is moving in.

I've seen and HEARD one of these transformers go bad BOOOM!:cool:

Hello @AH-1G I would not worry about, because it is all a matter of distance. I am currently flying on two builds that has power lines that runs across the field, and one of them I had to inspect. Know your sUAS weak signal strength in different location and distance, if you get too close and you connectivity drops, switch to manual mode, those things has a tendency to suck you in. But nevertheless, I would not worry much about it, but the only thing that I would worry about, and it served as a lesson for me is that things can get super close quickly.

Good luck on your contract and fly safe.

Thanks @RPR, I've been on many close proximity events but not one that will disintegrate my H let alone my ego.

Last edited:
Thanks @RPR, I've been on many close proximity events, but not that one will disintegrate my H let alone my ego.

LOL..... Nah, you are reading into it too much, with all people. You can pull this off EASY!

Reactions: PatR
Welcome to the club. Experience prevail over opinions. Nice shot! PG&E contracts is a blessing and a curse. A blessing, because they pay in full. A curse because they have a lots of projects, and it can be overwhelming, but it’s all good... Congrats, sir!

I'm hoping this company will bring me aboard, not only inspect poles also cell towers, I'll find out next week.
I would still need to pass a field test.
Also travel throughout the US, all expenses paid.

I'm hoping this company will bring me aboard, not only inspect poles also cell towers, I'll find out next week.
I would still need to pass a field test.
Also travel throughout the US, all expenses paid.

I think cell towers are 2.4GHZ, you might not want to do that.

Just looked it up, they are not 2.4ghz, but can cause a lot of interference with 2.4ghz.

“Cell towers” broadcast whatever frequencies are appropriate for the equipment installed on them. It’s quite common for a telecomm company to erect a tower and lease tower space to one or more other company’s, including civil agency, transmission equipment.

I think cell towers are 2.4GHZ, you might not want to do that.

Why not?

A company will never send out a contractor in an unsafe environment to inspect. Same as, a big company will never hire anyone, without going through the hula hoop of a drug test and background, even though you are a contract for hire.

If an operator deemed the inspection is unsafe, voice out. I can reassure you that the majority of electrical inspections are done by the book, guaranteeing a successful work procedure for a drone operator. I know, because, I have been there and done that.

As others have mentioned, the steel towered transmission lines generally carry hundreds of thousands of volts. Neighborhood stuff, tens of thousand.

I've seen a pelican get too close to 345 kv. Not much left but a few embers, and lots of smoke and noise. It took out a significant section of a Southeast Houston suburb. Point of saying all this, you just have to get close to that voltage and you might take it to ground (tower). And the power company might come after you if you damage equipment or cause service interruptions with an accidental contact. (Assuming one is just playing around and not acting on behalf of the company.)

2 cents.

Bryan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers