Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How do you fly your TH?

Reaction score
I guess this is a question that I haven't really seen on this forum before. Personally I fly normally about 500 feet from where I'm at and I normally go around the area where I'm standing about 500 feet. One of the reasons that I stay close in is because of a fly away fear. I actually have had a QR3 50 from walkera flyway from me before so this is a fear for me. I'm interested in how you fly.

I'm very new so I keep it probably 300 feet max distance, and slow. I fly in angel mode and sometimes with GPS off.

at the momen no more than 100 feet way in non gps mode as im praticing for my flight test for my PfCO (uk) ive passed the theory just getting load of practice while the ops manual and stuff is being written

I guess I am the wild one at home.
I have taken my H to the extreme of my old eyes. 3500 feet down range before I lost the dot, and telemetry was going in and out. I now keep it with in 1500 feet. Just better to keep track of. I use to fly out over the Saint Clare river and film the freighters, but no longer trust the firmware to fly over water. Over water I was never more than 500 feet out and maybe 100 feet altitude. I sometimes like to take the camera off and turn off GPS and fly really aggressively. The battery does not last long that way, but the H can be just fun to fly. I actually thought I was going to flip it once when I reversed direction.
Fly safe, but do FLY often.

I live out in the desert so I fly about 250-400 feet high and go out about 1500-2000 feet and take pictures of the surrounding area.

Reactions: DroneClone
really appreciate hearing this user experience, as I am starting out and wondering, and being very careful getting used to the controls. 100 ft up and about 200 ft out!

Chip,
That is the BEST way to start out. Your abilities and confidence will grow in time. Around my house is all farm fields and tons of tall trees. I am pretty well forced to fly high, 100 -150 feet unless I want to become a tree ornament.

Well I guess I have more trust in the systems as I often fly at 400ft up (max allowed) and over 1000 feet out on stock gear, depending on where I am. I also have an Itelite DBS antenna amplifier and have taken it out to 4,000 feet out at the coast along a very long beach before turning for home. So far no problems but I'm very meticulous about setup, calibration and testing before stretching the capabilities. So far so good, no crashes or issues in over 100 hours of flying the H.

My flying is quite varied. Always line of sight, I live in open fields, so there's plenty of space to try things. I've only had GPS off briefly - it flew well, but I need more time to experiment. I've flown quite a few CCC routes to figure out how it works, and tried a couple of long distance flights which pushed my eyesight more than it pushed the Typhoon!

Normally though I find myself doing a circuit of local landmarks, up to around 500m or so from my start point.

I'm regularly flying CCCs out to 1500' around 300' high... but it has taken me months of baby steps to get to that level of trust. That said, following each FW update, I find myself right back at my 100 x 100 box until my H reproves itself and my confidence in her returns.

But, I know I'm one of the very lucky ones who have never had my bird behave badly as some of the horror stories I read about. If I shared those experiences, not sure I'd be anywhere near my level of confidence.

Trust is only there 'til it's not.

I guess I am the wild one at home.
I have taken my H to the extreme of my old eyes. 3500 feet down range before I lost the dot, and telemetry was going in and out. I now keep it with in 1500 feet. Just better to keep track of. I use to fly out over the Saint Clare river and film the freighters, but no longer trust the firmware to fly over water. Over water I was never more than 500 feet out and maybe 100 feet altitude. I sometimes like to take the camera off and turn off GPS and fly really aggressively. The battery does not last long that way, but the H can be just fun to fly. I actually thought I was going to flip it once when I reversed direction.
Fly safe, but do FLY often.
Give it **** Bob!

Keep mine in line of sight but I'm getting braver and sometimes take her up to 400 ft and usually stay fairly close by (500-800 ft) but I have had it out over 1200 ft once, I wasn't paying attention to my telemetry, but brought her back in right away. I'm still fairly new to drones so I'm taking it slow and easy, tried watch me/follow me and I've made up a CCC with Eric's nice app but I haven't tried to fly it yet. I live smack dab in the middle of Oklahoma and the winds are a factor on a regular basis so I have to be pretty careful when I do fly. By the way I fly the H and the 4K and haven't had any problems with either one, knock on wood !! I've never tried flying with GPS off, I may have to try it ... maybe ... someday !!

Good Luck to All !!

Reactions: DroneClone
I'm generally conservative with control function and don't push maneuverability limits but you don't need to for photography. I stay line of sight out to ~1000' and go as high as I need to without busting the 400' cap for commercial operators. I don't often set an RTH height so I make it a point not to put tall stuff between me and the H during a flight unless the H is already higher. I use both Smart and Angle, with Smart mode extremely beneficial in some photo and video work. I've calibrated the compass and accelerometers 3 times, once after obtaining it and twice after a couple 700 mile trips. Aside from that I just track battery cycles, voltages and times for each flight while being another that has had no problems with it. I fly over water a lot, and in some pretty strong winds. Up to 27mph so far with no control, stability, or speed limiting issues. The H is one of the two most stable copters I have when the wind gets strong. The other is an X8 that is heavier and has more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Subtle Shots
It's good to see that we have some very responsible UAV pilots here. the funny thing is sometimes my wife tells me that I love my drone more than her. She knows better but she knows it's a dig at me. I really have enjoyed the stories about how you're flying I was beginning to worry worry because I've seen some YouTube videos where they're going out 5000 6000 feet so this really makes me feel a lot better and to know that you guys are responsible.

Last edited:
Reactions: anthony h-ellary
i fly line of sight i'm chicken i did follow me and a night flight but thats all till i get more time at the sticks

when working, my H is never far from me, maybe 600 feet max.
But when i'm playing with my friends windsurfers over the sea, I put my brain on the ground and I push the limits ! last time nearly 4000 feet away from me at 10 feet high... so stupid !!!!

Being a longtime rc helicopter 3d pilot, I seem to have a little more of a wild side to me when flying anything. I usually go out a few afternoons a week and have 3-4 flights. I've gotten into a routine of one warm up flight, doing a little of everything, no goggles. And I've been playing with CCC a lot more lately as well. Not going out much more than 1000 feet on this flight, take a few photos/videos etc. Next I throw on the goggles and do a few long distance fpv flights. I have upgraded antennas so I do go out quite a ways some flights. It's all open land with no people. I Investigate the area. Look for unique photo opportunities. Then if I do a 4th flight I usually turn off the gps and just rip around for 10 minutes until the battery is dead. I know I'm definitely the exception in this group but different strokes...

I guess this is a question that I haven't really seen on this forum before. Personally I fly normally about 500 feet from where I'm at and I normally go around the area where I'm standing about 500 feet. One of the reasons that I stay close in is because of a fly away fear. I actually have had a QR3 50 from walkera flyway from me before so this is a fear for me. I'm interested in how you fly.
Is there a greater risc for fly away when you go further and higher or does it depends on other things?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval