Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How do you fly your TH?

Well if you haven't crashed yet you're doing good. I have a real flight simulator that I use on my computer to keep my thumbs educated during the winter months.

Crash ... don't say those words ... those are dyin' words ... ;) ... oh ya ... I think it was my second flight with the Q500 ... darn tree jumped right out in front of me and my brakes were a bit slow-ish ... trimmed a few leaves off and broke three blades and the gimble almost fell off ... put the gimble back on and replaced the blades and bingo ... back in action ... haven't had an accident since .. knock on wood .. baby steps!!

My Typhoon H has seen a variety of distances and heights. Most of the time, I'm filming low, 10 feet off the ground. I use CCC quite a bit. I operate almost exclusively in angle mode. If I've gone out to far to be sure which way forward is, I'll put it in smart mode or RTH mode. I do not like the turtle speed, it responds too slowly, but turtle speed is great for CCC and catching those slow pans. Most of the time my speed dial is in the middle.

DSC08319-1.jpg Any of you who have seen my YT videos (Rubik3x), will know that early on I flew my box stock TH about 5300' out at 400' elevation over an abandoned golf course. Maybe not the smartest thing to do but thankfully when I lost video feed, the RTH worked to make it a happy ending. The drone doesn't have to be very far out to loose all sense of direction with VLOS. I depend heavily upon the video display on the controller. Since glare is an ever present problem, I've made a couple of cardboard "viewing boxes" that fit over the screen shield with a place to look in that pretty much blocks all offending daylight (latest model shown). This is virtually as good as goggles but allows me to instantly look up the observe the drone. I also had to fit some cheap drug store reading glasses so that I can focus easily at 10". Of course, I still have to make sure there are no trees or buildings between me and the drone. To answer the other questions, I have quite a bit of 2D R/C experience with cars and club boat racing. I've flown my trainer airplane successfully and got frustrated with a couple of cheap helicopters. I have a small quad (Blade Nano QX) to keep my thumbs in practice when the weather is uncooperative. Finally, I make sure to land before the battery gets below 4.6v.

Reactions: FlyBry
I just come to the realization that a lot of the members of this forum have never flown anything remote control before. What is your experience level guys post if you want everybody to know.
I've been flying multi-rotors since January 2015 starting with a Phantom 2 Vision (that one is now retired) and it crashed on it's 4th flight...my fault. Crashed it again in April 2015, all my fault, and I thought it was a complete gonner so I bought a Phantom 2 Vision Plus to replace it. That crashed on it's 6th flight into a tree on a flyaway through no fault of my own, so I turned back to the original Phantom and re-shelled it, replaced one of the ASCs and re soldered wires leading to the simple gimbal and flew that while I was waiting for the Plus to be repaired.

No problems with either of the Phantoms since and have had more hours flying them than I care to remember. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would now rate myself at around an eight.

Then I got the TH at the start of June this year and after I'd finished testing it for a month I put it into general use and retired the Phantom Vision. With the H I would rate my proficiency at about 6 to 7 at the moment.

For recreational flights I'm currently flying the Vision Plus and TH alternately...using only the TH for just commercial stuff although both are covered in my commercial ops manual.

View attachment 3782 Any of you who have seen my YT videos (Rubik3x), will know that early on I flew my box stock TH about 5300' out at 400' elevation over an abandoned golf course. Maybe not the smartest thing to do but thankfully when I lost video feed, the RTH worked to make it a happy ending. The drone doesn't have to be very far out to loose all sense of direction with VLOS. I depend heavily upon the video display on the controller. Since glare is an ever present problem, I've made a couple of cardboard "viewing boxes" that fit over the screen shield with a place to look in that pretty much blocks all offending daylight (latest model shown). This is virtually as good as goggles but allows me to instantly look up the observe the drone. I also had to fit some cheap drug store reading glasses so that I can focus easily at 10". Of course, I still have to make sure there are no trees or buildings between me and the drone. To answer the other questions, I have quite a bit of 2D R/C experience with cars and club boat racing. I've flown my trainer airplane successfully and got frustrated with a couple of cheap helicopters. I have a small quad (Blade Nano QX) to keep my thumbs in practice when the weather is uncooperative. Finally, I make sure to land before the battery gets below 4.6v.
You Sir, are a Unique Yuneec individual. I applaud your ingenuity!

My first RC unit is the H I purchased in May of 2016. I have crashed several times and had to send in for repair, once for crash, and once for warranty on motor not working. After having to send in for repair do to crash I have learned that if I stay at 100' or above altitude I do not hit any trees or signs. I usually fly at the 100' altitude and fly out until I start to loose video feed, then I start to head back towards me. This most often happens at around 1500' to 1700'. Lately I have sent it out once to the East to 4200' before I lost video, after returning and replacing the battery I sent it out to the North for 4700' before loosing video. I usually fly in angle mode on slow speed, I record all the flights all the time and stop to take pictures every now and then. Flights last around 13 to 15 minutes. I do not pay attention to the battery level but do return home on the first low battery warning. My unit is stock and I have not install any software updates. The H is a blast to play with, so many features I haven't had time to get to, but look forward to being able to master later..

Well if you haven't crashed yet you're doing good. I have a real flight simulator that I use on my computer to keep my thumbs educated during the winter months.
How does the winter effect the H? Will it fly but just too cold to stand, or does the cold hamper the performance?

Dragonflyerthom,
Why do you ask?
I fly LOS I very seldom lose my orientation even though I'm out over 1500 to 2000 feet the H is large enough that I can still see it at that distance even though I'm old. I have been wondering how many here on this site are responsible in their flying and that is why I was kind of interested in how others are flying their TH. We will all pay for the mistakes that our fellow pilots make.

I fly LOS I very seldom lose my orientation even though I'm out over 1500 to 2000 feet the H is large enough that I can still see it at that distance even though I'm old. I have been wondering how many here on this site are responsible in their flying and that is why I was kind of interested in how others are flying their TH. We will all pay for the mistakes that our fellow pilots make.
Are you saying that flying past 2000' is irresponsible because you will lose LOS?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval