Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How high is too high?

Reaction score
Well the OCD and enthusiasm of numbers and paramaters is coming out in me with this question ... (Don't get me wrong I am a rule break in many many ways!)
I find I'm wasting time and opportunities with making footage. Ok, perhaps not wasting time but certainly getting a lot of crap stuff.
I'm in awe of the footage of landscapes I see on here through links or on the amazing video platforms, and mine just haven't clicked yet.
In Australia the rule of 30mx30m away from people doesn't allow for interest when they are in action on the water like I like to shoot. But I can shoot in 4k and zoom in right - or go for my next level of licence and have permission to come closer.
BUT for the lovely landscapes what, in your humble opinion, is the optimum height? I understand this is so subjective and each locale opportunity determined by hills or flat land, vegetation et al. But if you could give me any parameters of height - even examples of a still from a vid at height that would be great.
Somehow I feel I'll need to add this to my list of examples of height and captures.
In the mean time, I'll continue to wait for the weather to clear so I can go and practise.
TIA

Just as an example this panorama has been taken within the German regulations. Hight was 103m (ok 3m above maximum but this is within the tolerance I guess). In my opinion it would be nice to be allowed to fly even higher. Unfortunatly there is a lot of low flying air traffic in this area. Many small planes and helicopters but those have to be at least 150m above the ground. So it is better to stick to the rules and keep some distance.

In Hamburg most of the interesting areas are protected so I do not have a whole lot of landscape footage.
View attachment Panorama Kiesgrube 100m.jpg

Reactions: AussieCate
Sometimes I consider my camera carrying UAS as nothing more than an extension ladder or boom.

I do not always have to get a shot from 200 feet. Maybe 30 to 50 feet will do, or even 10 feet. Something different than what I can get without putting my life and well being at risk.

Don’t get me wrong; I love the view from 400 feet as much as anybody!

Jeff

Sometimes I consider my camera carrying UAS as nothing more than an extension ladder or boom.

I do not always have to get a shot from 200 feet. Maybe 30 to 50 feet will do, or even 10 feet. Something different than what I can get without putting my life and well being at risk.
Thank you Jeff.
I think I'll do a little exercise for myself similar to the link but reviewing footage I took a few days ago I also need to work on my reveals. I found myself 'looking around the screen' for follow through and it wasn't there.
I'll keep plugging away.
Cheers.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
The field of view of the lens makes a huge difference in the perception of height. In flat terrain 200' can look very high. The CGO3+ has a wider FOV than the C23 and I can most certain see the difference even though the specs don't seem much different.

Reactions: 7cyclops and PatR
I mostly fly at 150ft to 200ft. The aerial part of this video is an example.
For high views, it's like walking on the street. If you hear a car, get out of the way.
This straight down view was briefly at 490ft. Then I quickly descended.
Nice. Clear concise and full of info,for the owner,foreman etc. I did skip thru it as was very long for me cus I was just interested in your contribution to this forum. I too decided the 150-200ft. height was mostly high enough,I usually stay below that but in certain cases it is necessary to give the viewer a more broad perspective.
Being previously employed in the multi dwelling FHA subsidized housing industry I found the best way to educate the maintenance workers was to do short video segments and edit while in production. This taught me not to waste tape and get the right point across. I am now going thru all my q500+ and thpro sd cards,and wow i'll never do that again.Yes in my production days it was all VHSC. Nice part was the Memorex vid camera I used could do editing right on the tape. I get your lesson completly Keith C.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis