Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to know the aprox. remaining flight time?

Reaction score
As I told before I am near to buy a Typhoon H.
BUT ... I see in all the video that the drone station shows only the battery voltage and not a % or the remaining flight time.
So the question is: How can the pilot know the remaining flight time?

Experience and good judgement, conditions, like wind etc, distance away from you, after a few flights you get a good idea how long your batteries will last, me personally, I'm checking the voltage quite often, when it's down to 15v I'm getting ready to bring back, visual line of sight gives me time to get back and land by about 14.8 to 14.7 volts, by the time I've landed it's bounced back a little, but i put a fresh battery in, and I'm ready to go.better to have a bit in reserve just in case. Too low and the battery will get damaged over time.

Experience and good judgement, conditions, like wind etc, distance away from you, after a few flights you get a good idea how long your batteries will last, me personally, I'm checking the voltage quite often, when it's down to 15v I'm getting ready to bring back, visual line of sight gives me time to get back and land by about 14.8 to 14.7 volts, by the time I've landed it's bounced back a little, but i put a fresh battery in, and I'm ready to go.better to have a bit in reserve just in case. Too low and the battery will get damaged over time.
Which are max voltage at start and minimum battery voltage (for minimum I consider you got a warning to land the drone...if it as such alert)?
And thx for your reply.
Max

16.6 volts some get a little more at the start, yes it will vibrate and warn you two times, 14.5v would be minimum I would go to, in a rare instance, the copter can become unstable at low voltages, which can cause major problems.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
16.6 volts some get a little more at the start, yes it will vibrate and warn you two times, 14.5v would be minimum I would go to, in a rare instance, the copter can become unstable at low voltages, which can cause major problems.
Do you know something about this battery size: 8050 mha and 14.8 v 4S
How much can extend the flight time? Did you tried one?

Not a good exemple because you can easly know it and cars don't fall down from the sky[emoji23].

It’s actually a very good example as we do not know how many gallons we have left in the tank at any gauge position. Even the newer cars that have an estimated miles remaining display are not accurate as the remaining balance is impacted by how we are handling the pedal moment by moment.

Somewhere along our driving experience we learned to estimate how far our cars would go on a tank of gas based upon how we drove them. From that experienced we developed the ability to perform a conservative estimate that allowed us to some gauge level we never go below before stopping again for gas.

With the H the minimum battery battery voltage level has been extremely well established through the experiences of many and published in this and other forums. As every battery is not the same and no two people fly the same there is some variability, but like the gas gauge, some experience has to be accumulated for the best estimating accuracy.

Voltage is far and away the best gauge as the battery cannot fly the aircraft below a certain level. If you are one that flies to voltage warning levels you have chosen to ignore the experiences of others that land by 14.4v to assure flight safety. The time you obtain from each battery has no relevance as flight time is affected by weather and flying style. As you say, cars don’t fall from the sky so you must be more conservative with your estimates when flying a multirotor. If yours falls out if the sky because it ran out of juice you won’t be able to blame a gauge showing percent or bars if it also displays volts.

Depends on several variables IMO, I agree to land by 14.7V.

Under a high loads and cold temperatures the voltage can drop off fast. Always warm cold batteries before flight or else.

Properly warmed the voltage should drop somewhat linear under a light to medium load. Under a heavy load or not properly warmed voltage can drop quickly and you need to be prepared to land.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Depends on several variables IMO, I agree to land by 14.7V.

Under a high loads and cold temperatures the voltage can drop off fast. Always warm cold batteries before flight or else.

Properly warmed the voltage should drop somewhat linear under a light to medium load. Under a heavy load or not properly warmed voltage can drop quickly and you need to be prepared to land.
This falls under experience again, judging conditions.

It’s actually a very good example as we do not know how many gallons we have left in the tank at any gauge position. Even the newer cars that have an estimated miles remaining display are not accurate as the remaining balance is impacted by how we are handling the pedal moment by moment.

Somewhere along our driving experience we learned to estimate how far our cars would go on a tank of gas based upon how we drove them. From that experienced we developed the ability to perform a conservative estimate that allowed us to some gauge level we never go below before stopping again for gas.

With the H the minimum battery battery voltage level has been extremely well established through the experiences of many and published in this and other forums. As every battery is not the same and no two people fly the same there is some variability, but like the gas gauge, some experience has to be accumulated for the best estimating accuracy.

Voltage is far and away the best gauge as the battery cannot fly the aircraft below a certain level. If you are one that flies to voltage warning levels you have chosen to ignore the experiences of others that land by 14.4v to assure flight safety. The time you obtain from each battery has no relevance as flight time is affected by weather and flying style. As you say, cars don’t fall from the sky so you must be more conservative with your estimates when flying a multirotor. If yours falls out if the sky because it ran out of juice you won’t be able to blame a gauge showing percent or bars if it also displays volts.
Had a Ford car in the 1980s the petrol gauge was very inaccurate, you could never let it to below quarter full, it meant it was pretty much on fumes, luckily the filler tube was straight you could take the cap off and peer in, give the car a shake to see the fuel moving inside.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace