Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How "waterproof" is the Typhoon H?

Reaction score
OK, I live in Oregon, and as you might imagine, we have a reason for a rainy reputation: it rains. Sometimes for long stretches.

Can anyone tell me how "rainproof" the H is? The top section is clearly open-air to keep the innards cool while flying, and I'm just going to assume that all those IC boards inside aren't protected from moisture. I flew it in fog once, and it came down with some water drops on the prop arms, but it flew fine and there were no problems. It was a short flight, tho, about 2 minutes.

I'm a cloud photographer (among many other things) and that could mean a ride in less-than-dry skies. Anyone have any idea or have some tales to tell around this topic. Thanks for your time.

Capt. Overview

susnet.jpg

Reactions: prowavy
There are waterproofing spray treatments for circuit boards which will result in a coating to protect the electronics. That would require disassembly of the H and the camera to be effective. The motors are perhaps less sensitive to a dampness or even some light rain. The main concern would be the bearings. If they get wet repeatedly then you would want to disassemble those as well in order to get some 3-in1 oil into the bearings.

Reactions: Graeme Buckley
I have been caught out a couple of times. The longest was bout 2 minutes. brought him in wiped down totally, then air dried for a day. Oh I also used some light weight gun oil in the motors. Hope this helps. fly safe>

Thanks DFT, I do have gun oil so I'll keep that in mind.

Hey Steve
There are waterproofing spray treatments for circuit boards which will result in a coating to protect the electronics. That would require disassembly of the H and the camera to be effective. The motors are perhaps less sensitive to a dampness or even some light rain. The main concern would be the bearings. If they get wet repeatedly then you would want to disassemble those as well in order to get some 3-in1 oil into the bearings.[/QU
Hey Steve...moisture or not, would a drop of oil every couple of months on the motor bearings hurt?...thanks

There are waterproofing spray treatments for circuit boards which will result in a coating to protect the electronics. That would require disassembly of the H and the camera to be effective. The motors are perhaps less sensitive to a dampness or even some light rain. The main concern would be the bearings. If they get wet repeatedly then you would want to disassemble those as well in order to get some 3-in1 oil into the bearings.
sorry about that post, not intended...I wanted to ask if a drop of oil on the motor bearings every couple of months would hurt?...thanks

sorry about that post, not intended...I wanted to ask if a drop of oil on the motor bearings every couple of months would hurt?...thanks
Don't know if the bearings are sealed. If so, the oil will not get in and may just collect dust and dirt.

Someone mentioned somewhere about severe pooling in the battery box. I remember suggesting (seriously) investigating the possibility of drilling a couple of small holes if nothing was below, but I don't remember following up or even seeing the thread pop up again.

if the manual dose not say water proof or water resistance don't even think about it . i was flying my Blade QX 350 a few years ago and a fast summer shower just came out of no ware , i landed A.S.A.P. no damage but i stoped flying and set the 350 in the sun to dry off .

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Don't know if the bearings are sealed. If so, the oil will not get in and may just collect dust and dirt.
Someone mentioned somewhere about severe pooling in the battery box. I remember suggesting (seriously) investigating the possibility of drilling a couple of small holes if nothing was below, but I don't remember following up or even seeing the thread pop up again.
The bearings are not sealed, but they are a bit difficult to oil. Some people have used a short piece of very thin wire to make a drip line. Bend it so it will extend to the motor shaft above the bearing and then place a drop of oil on the wire and let it flow down to the bearing. It must be done with the motor on it's side. You can use a Q-tip to remove any excess. The bottom bearing is not accessible without removing the led cover. See this video at minute 8:12 to access the bottom of the motor.

@WilsonFlyer I think the post you are referring to was actually discussing the hard case for the H.

The bearings are not sealed, but they are a bit difficult to oil. Some people have used a short piece of very thin wire to make a drip line. Bend it so it will extend to the motor shaft above the bearing and then place a drop of oil on the wire and let it flow down to the bearing. It must be done with the motor on it's side. You can use a Q-tip to remove any excess. The bottom bearing is not accessible without removing the led cover. See this video at minute 8:12 to access the bottom of the motor.

@WilsonFlyer I think the post you are referring to was actually discussing the hard case for the H.
Thanks for that info. I have never oiled bearings on any of my multirotors but it is good to know it is possible.

you can also use a WD40 sprayer straw to get a drop or two in there. I can keep it level this way. it really quite em down.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS

I remember this one- that was regarding the battery box in the H backpack.

Extremely. I take off from the bottom of my pool every time I fly.

tumblr_mvemcyarmn1rslphyo1_400.gif

Reactions: Robyhaha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval