Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I got a few ?'s after my maiden flight

Reaction score
I took my H out for its first flight today. I have the q500 so i am familiar with flying.

When i fired up the H in the right sequence the rear light was flashing purple and a whitish blue colour.
is that normal, as on the LED cheat sheet it shows it flashing purple only.

while the drone was on and the camera cover off i tilted the drone up and the gimbal started vibrating quickly.
is that normal?

while I was in rabbit mode I took it up about 30m then i took it down (in rabbit mode) it sounded like the motors slowed right down. almost like they shut off for a split second. is that normal ?

My ST16 controller had the metal switches with 3 antennas. 2 long ones on either side and a square one in the middle. is that the pro controller? as I've seen different controllers you tube.

should I do other calibrations? I did the compass which was easy and straight forward.

other than that it was great flight. I got more time out of the battery than the the q500.
and it is WAY faster. did some awesome manoeuvres.

I took my H out for its first flight today. I have the q500 so i am familiar with flying.

When i fired up the H in the right sequence the rear light was flashing purple and a whitish blue colour.

while the drone was on and the camera cover off i tilted the drone up and the gimbal started vibrating quickly.
is that normal?

while I was in rabbit mode I took it up about 30m then i took it down (in rabbit mode) it sounded like the motors slowed right down. almost like they shut off for a split second. is that normal ?

My ST16 controller had the metal switches with 3 antennas. 2 long ones on either side and a square one in the middle. is that the pro controller? as I've seen different controllers you tube.

should I do other calibrations? I did the compass which was easy and straight forward.

other than that it was great flight. I got more time out of the battery than the the q500.
Purple with white flash is normal for the H being in non-smart mode with GPS on. The cheat sheet is old and hasn't been updated to reflect this.
Gimbal vibrating when you tilt the H is normal.

When descending in rabbit the motors will audibly slow down. This stands to sense since they don't have to work as hard in descent.

Yes, a 'pro' controller.

Yes, you must do the other calibrations before the maiden flight and after any firmware update. Do the accelerometers and gimbal on a level surface in turn without disturbing the H during the calibration process and then power cycle the aircraft once they have completed. Do the compass in the field after a firmware update and whenever you move any significant distance from your last take-off site or when its been some time since your last flight. After a firmware update or if its been some time since your last flight always allow the H to have time to properly lock onto satellites (download the almanac)...switch on the H but don't take off for a while (suggested 13 minutes elsewhere in this forum).

I hope that helps you.

is that normal?

The white flash within the purple means you have enough satellite connections between H and ST for follow/watch me mode (smart geo fence) operation. The gimbal when all the way up may chatter but I'd calibrate it as it should be minimal. Make sure you restart after gimbal calibration as that's not automatic. The motors do respond quicker then the 500 and it can sound like they pause when going from full rabbit to a stop. The St has only one configuration on layout of switches but there are different antennas. I've only had the standard ST with only the mast and mushroom antennae and the third is for a patch antenna that's part of the pro real sense package.
And yes it's way more responsive then the 500 and pretty reliable for 15-18 mins of video flight depending on wind and speed of flight. I've held a hover for almost 20 minutes but it was blinking hard on descent and not good for the battery.

Reactions: vandjhanna
Thank you so much for your replies.

I will study calibration of the gimbal and accelerometer as well as firmware update. I'm a little concerned doing a firmware update. one would assume the firmware would be up to date?

Reactions: CraigCam
Not necessarily. And it's different depending on country. I'd keep on learning with what it's flying on before getting into firmware updating. You can look at your AP version by going into the system settings after connection to TH and camera and hitting about controller. This is what I've been flying here as latest US firmware. I don't have RealSense
a0afb5691085e9ca02f917fa699ba2f3.jpg

If you go into "About Controller" under System Settings on the ST-16, you can check the currently
loaded firmware version... compare that to what firmware version is on the Yuneec site... once on
the Yuneec site, choose Support / Downloads.

Reactions: vandjhanna
This is my about screen. Is this the latest?
I saw a video with daniel from yuneec UK showing how to update.

He mentioned, after this manual way of updating you can update later wirelessly over wifi. Is my version new enough to do this?

Attachments

• IMG_3802.JPG
    IMG_3802.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
I went to yuneec.com and looked at downloads and they were for EU. I'm in Australia

Do you have the Q500 or the H? Different craft need firmware specific to that model... and yes, specific to your country/region.
ArnhemAnt is in Australia... he may be able to confirm which firmware version you need to use.

If the H is tilted up at a steep angle the gimbal will come up against angle stop limits while trying to maintain level. When this happens it will vibrate since the motors are still trying to drive the camera position. You should not try to "over drive" a gimbal.

The OTA update can go wrong if their website or your host times out. I have stuck with the tried and true using the SD card to transfer in files and I trust that completely. The trick is to make sure the card has only the right firmware file only on it - no other folders or data - and do them one at at time in the sequence the tutorial shows.

This is my about screen. Is this the latest?
I saw a video with daniel from yuneec UK showing how to update.

He mentioned, after this manual way of updating you can update later wirelessly over wifi. Is my version new enough to do this?
Some have reported issues using wifi for the updates, I used the cable, all worked ok (except I did have issues with the download, you really need to turn off your anti virus for that, if you don't you may have issues).

The OTA update can go wrong if their website or your host times out. I have stuck with the tried and true using the SD card to transfer in files and I trust that completely. The trick is to make sure the card has only the right firmware file only on it - no other folders or data - and do them one at at time in the sequence the tutorial shows.
Agreed make sure SD card is empty...

Using the SD card that came with the H (alternate: another 16 gig card) put it in your computer and delete all data. After that transfer one, and only one update file (16 file) to the SD card. Then insert the SD card in the ST-16 and perform the ST-16 update. Once that update is complete put the SD card back in your computer and again delete all data. Now transfer the aircraft/camera to the card and insert the card into the camera to perform the final update. Always start with the ST-16. If you read the firmware notes at the Yuneec site you'll note that new aircraft firmware always states "must have X firmware to use this update." That's a left handed way of telling you to make sure the ST-16 is done first if you want it to recognize new aircraft firmware.

You must rebind the ST-16 and aircraft after updating. Quite often the 16 will not find the autopilot firmware. Don't panic, just put the 16 in Team mode, return to Settings>Bind>Refresh, and the autopilot firmware along with the 16 firmware will display. Select both and bind both at the same time. Personally, I don't even try to bind anymore until the 16 is in Team mode. I prefer only binding once.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval