Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I need advice about GPS "acquiring" problem?!?!?

slw74

Part 107 certificate
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
OK folks, I need some expert help. I have four Typhoon H drones and three ST16 controllers. One of the Typhoon H's has recently had increasing issues with inability to acquire a GPS fix. This has gotten progressively worse. This drone is in great shape, has never had a crash and has flown numerous times without incident. Over the last few weeks, it has not reliably descended even when the throttle stick has been declined completely. It has descended and landed OK with Home function. The system settings are no different with the primary controller from the others, so I don't have an explanation for the challenge with descent. In trying to determine if it was a controller issue (identified in previous forums), I changed to another ST-16, but although it did bind with good telemetry and camera, the GPS continued to "acquire" even though there were 14-20 satellites identified. On occasion, within 2-3 minutes, when the GPS acquired and there was a "Ready" signal, there was a GPS warning in 3-5 seconds and GPS was never re-acquired. I subsequently replaced the GPS module and added a GPS Tower Adapter, but with no improvement in the ability of the GPS signal to acquire. I then did a repeat firmware update to the controller and the drone. I also left the drone on with telemetry monitoring for 20 minutes in the event the need to re-acquire GPS information would help. Still no improvement. Is there something that I'm missing? Is it possible that something in the drone after the GPS module is not registering the acquired GPS signal. When I monitored the drone on my computer, the GPS shows OK and the GPS coordinates are displayed (see photo) even when the controller shows "acquiring." The firmware is:
1. ST16_system_v.03.01.b30
2. ST15_APP_V01.00.45
3. Autopilot V.135 Typhoon H
4. Gimbal V1.25
5. Camera V3.2.34(A)
6. RealSense N/A
Let me know if you have any thoughts or recommendations on what to do next, or what might help correct the issue.
Thanks,
StephenGPS.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3458.JPG
    IMG_3458.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
If changing the GPS module did not correct the problem then the Flight Controller is the next likely component. I have seen this a few times on other H models that were subject to overheating sitting in the sun on a very hot day.

If you wish to verify and have the time to invest, you can swap the FC from another bird and then test both to see if the problem follows the FC. Also note, the binding is between the ST16 and the FC. So you have to rebind or use the associated ST with the FC. I also suggest testing w/o the camera mounted.

If, in fact, it is a FC problem then I can help you re-flash and then reinstall the firmware. That may or may not fix the problem.

BTW, make certain you maintained the twists on the GPS cable. It is twisted to reduce RF interference.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
If changing the GPS module did not correct the problem then the Flight Controller is the next likely component. I have seen this a few times on other H models that were subject to overheating sitting in the sun on a very hot day.

If you wish to verify and have the time to invest, you can swap the FC from another bird and then test both to see if the problem follows the FC. Also note, the binding is between the ST16 and the FC. So you have to rebind or use the associated ST with the FC. I also suggest testing w/o the camera mounted.

If, in fact, it is a FC problem then I can help you re-flash and then reinstall the firmware. That may or may not fix the problem.

BTW, make certain you maintained the twists on the GPS cable. It is twisted to reduce RF interference.
Aah, I'd like to know how to do the re-flash and reload too.

OK folks, I need some expert help. I have four Typhoon H drones and three ST16 controllers. One of the Typhoon H's has recently had increasing issues with inability to acquire a GPS fix. This has gotten progressively worse. This drone is in great shape, has never had a crash and has flown numerous times without incident. Over the last few weeks, it has not reliably descended even when the throttle stick has been declined completely. It has descended and landed OK with Home function. The system settings are no different with the primary controller from the others, so I don't have an explanation for the challenge with descent. In trying to determine if it was a controller issue (identified in previous forums), I changed to another ST-16, but although it did bind with good telemetry and camera, the GPS continued to "acquire" even though there were 14-20 satellites identified. On occasion, within 2-3 minutes, when the GPS acquired and there was a "Ready" signal, there was a GPS warning in 3-5 seconds and GPS was never re-acquired. I subsequently replaced the GPS module and added a GPS Tower Adapter, but with no improvement in the ability of the GPS signal to acquire. I then did a repeat firmware update to the controller and the drone. I also left the drone on with telemetry monitoring for 20 minutes in the event the need to re-acquire GPS information would help. Still no improvement. Is there something that I'm missing? Is it possible that something in the drone after the GPS module is not registering the acquired GPS signal. When I monitored the drone on my computer, the GPS shows OK and the GPS coordinates are displayed (see photo) even when the controller shows "acquiring." The firmware is:
1. ST16_system_v.03.01.b30
2. ST15_APP_V01.00.45
3. Autopilot V.135 Typhoon H
4. Gimbal V1.25
5. Camera V3.2.34(A)
6. RealSense N/A
Let me know if you have any thoughts or recommendations on what to do next, or what might help correct the issue.
Thanks,
StephenView attachment 17331
Hi Slw74,
I see that you have put the cheap ebay GPS PANCAKE,because these are new on the scene and you have just installed it , check that the connector is tight and pressed in before you put the top shell back on. They do contain carbon fibre and you could be in a marginal area. Just to check put it back to original and see if it comes back to normal before the mod. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Thanks for the information. In response to the few questions: I had the GPS problem with and without the GPS tower. That GPS tower and module works fine on one of my other drones where it was initially installed. I did keep the lead wires well twisted as well. If there is a chance that re-flashing and reinstalling the firmware would make the difference, I would like to know how to do that. I'm pretty good with computers and hardware.
Stephen

Thanks to everyone for your help. I changed the flight controller board with one from another drone, but kept the "original" GPS/compass module. I still had no GPS fix. Changed the GPS/compass module to the one from the other drone and Voila! The drone binds as normal and acquires GPS fix in 45-60 seconds. All functions are normal. Also solved the failure to descend problem.
All the best to all,
Stephen

Thanks to everyone for your help. I changed the flight controller board with one from another drone, but kept the "original" GPS/compass module. I still had no GPS fix. Changed the GPS/compass module to the one from the other drone and Voila! The drone binds as normal and acquires GPS fix in 45-60 seconds. All functions are normal. Also solved the failure to descend problem.
All the best to all,
Stephen
At least a GPS module is a lot cheaper than a Flight controller. Good result.

Actually for whatever reason, both the GPS/compass module AND the flight controller were bad. I tested each independently. Perhaps there was a condition that damaged both of them? I re-flashed the flight controller and loaded new firmware, but to no avail. Unfortunately it just has to be replaced.
Stephen

Actually for whatever reason, both the GPS/compass module AND the flight controller were bad. I tested each independently. Perhaps there was a condition that damaged both of them? I re-flashed the flight controller and loaded new firmware, but to no avail. Unfortunately it just has to be replaced.
Stephen
Don't know what you pay over there, but that's £500+ here for those two items.

I was able to purchase a flight controller module on eBay for $150+10 shipping. Much better than the retail purchase which would be $249.99 + shipping.
Stephen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital