Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I think my camera is not transmitting.

Reaction score
I would like to get some opinions and some knowledgeable expertise. Flying this morning about 700 feet away the picture on the ST16 started breaking up, pausing, and horizontal lines. I tried the patch antenna and got the same thing. Last week I had to pull the back off the ST16 to tighten the antenna bases. All three were loose. Everything went back together nicely and the following flights were normal. This morning is the first video issue I have had. I downloaded the SD card from the camera and the video is clear and sharp but it's like the camera jumps. While panning around the video is skipping. The same thing tilting up or down. Smooth then a random jump then smooth then a jump. The playback on the ST16 memory is jumbled like I described earlier.
I started doing some troubleshooting. I checked out the camera cloverleaf antenna and it looks great at the solder joint. I downloaded the CGO3 app on my android phone. With the app connected and the camera on the kitchen table. Sixty feet out the door and it's loss of signal with both the phone and ST16. The signal strength icon on the ST16 never changed and stayed full.
Sorry for the long winded history lesson but I wanted to give you all the info I have. Is my camera kaput?
Thank you.
Pete.

It sounds like there may be a problem with wiring either in the slip ring or internal to the gimbal.

Your distance does seem a bit short at 700’, but if the wiring is giving trouble that could be part of the issue.

The ST16 will pick up the video better than the phone with the CGO3 app. Mine is about the same with the phone.

Thanks for the quick reply.
The gimbal is moving smoothly both up and down and rotationally. The jumping on the video is only happening at a distance of 100 feet or more. It happens in yah and gimbal rotation. The video reception on the ST16 and android app is getting worse. Since it's happening on both the ST16 and app I feel my camera is on its way south.
Just wish I could be sure. I can't afford a new camera, so I will be looking for parts.
Pete.

... I downloaded the SD card from the camera and the video is clear and sharp but it's like the camera jumps. While panning around the video is skipping. The same thing tilting up or down. Smooth then a random jump then smooth then a jump.
It's the "jumping" that needs clarification. If a physical "jump" of the gimbal appeared at the same time video skips showed up it would be a good bet for a common cause. Please clarify if the camera itself is jumping or if that was just a way to describe the appearance of the video.
You can start a recording while on the table and move the gimbal around while looking at the camera if you are not certain.

Note the appearance of the video glitches on the SD card video pretty much rule out an issue with the controller unless there is a difference between what you see on the SD card version vrs the backup video on the ST16.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Thank you.
It's the video itself pausing and jumping. On the table it's smooth as can be. Holding the H and tilting back and forth and side to side is still smooth moving but the video recording on the SD card is jumpy. The video reception on the ST16 is getting shorter and shorter in distance. I was just flying off a charged pack and direct line of sight from controller to drone was less than 100 feet and the video was breaking up on the ST16 to the point where you couldn't see anything.
Pete.

It sounds like something is failing in the camera. It could be the sensor board, the main processor board, or the WIFI board. The presence of the problem on the SD card pretty much rules out the camera antenna as a reasonable culprit.
The best guess would be the WIFI board since there is a loss of range involved.
It might be a good idea to look for any problems with the wiring and connectors before rushing out and buying a new WIFI board.

Just to clarify..........when you remove the sd card and copy the files to a computer, you are seeing erratic video?
Are you talking about 2 problems? One is a poor video feed to the ST16 and, two, poor video recorded to the card?

Reactions: 7cyclops
Just to clarify..........when you remove the sd card and copy the files to a computer, you are seeing erratic video?
Are you talking about 2 problems? One is a poor video feed to the ST16 and, two, poor video recorded to the card?
Yes. It does seem like two different problems.
I have a thread about this camera a short time ago. It was taking a long time to boot up and connect with the ST16. Even with a blank reformated SD card it still takes anywhere from one to five minutes to connect. This morning first flight took several minutes to connect. I feel that the WIFI board is toast.
Thanks again.
Pete.

Reactions: WTFDproject
When you copy video files from the card to the computer you generally must use a USB card reader. I have found they can go bad. During the copy process to the computer the video gets corrupted. So when you view the file it appears to have lines, skipping or breakup of the video. Using a different card reader has solved that problem for me.

Have you tried to reset the camera using the buttons next to the sd card slot?

Hi Steve.
I never noticed a button next to the slot it must be really small. There is a micro USB socket. I can try another card reader. Is there a procedure anywhere for that camera reset. I'll try anything cause I really can't afford a camera repair trade in.
Pete.

I never noticed those buttons. Wow. Thank you. Will give it a try and let you know if it works.
Learning new things every day.
Thank you.
Pete.

Finally had a chance to try the camera reset.
I did the reset and had to bind the camera again. It seems to have improved. Although when I change resolution to 120 fps the ST16 view and the app on my phone was not too sharp. So I'm running it at 30 fps to sharpen it up. At least I can get out there without losing the 5.8 now.
Thank you all for telling me about the reset. I never noticed those buttons.
Pete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval