Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Image Pixilation (H Plus)

The video feed to the ST16 simply shows a lower resolution live feed of what the camera sees. The actual recording on the cameras sd card is will not be affected by an glitches that appear on the screen.

Whenever you record video there is also a recording on the ST16 that roughly matches the video on the card. The difference is the card is recording directly from the camera. The ST16 is recording from the wifi feed from the camera. So a glitch in the wifi will be evident on the ST16 recording but will not show up on the sd card video.

I get that part.

On the st10 the wifi video is also stored on the controller card. Assumed it'd be the same for the st16. Never actually checked since there's never been a need.

I thought you said the pixelation seen on the st16 during flight didn't show up on the corresponding controller card file.

Charlie,

Yuneec changed the way things work when they developed the ST-16. With the ST-10 the controller could not record telemetry unless a card was installed in the back of the controller. It’s been a couple years since I used an ST-10 so I don’t recall if it had a temporary folder for images or not but I sort of remember looking images on the ST-10 card when I reviewed telemetry.

The ST-16 does not require a card to record telemetry or degraded WiFi imagery. It automatically records telemetry and a limited number of still and video imagery to built in folders. Those folders have data limits so they “roll over” and overwrite old files when achieving the data limits. Users review ST-16 system folders to view the last few photos and images through the ST-16 during flight ops, not an internal ST-16 SD card. Should a user choose to insert an empty card in an ST-16 for whatever reason the controller will write nothing to the card during a flight. The only time data is sent to a card in the ST-16 is when the user actively transfers data to it, post flight.

The only active imagery storage card used with the system is used in the camera. To date there have been no reports of pixelated imagery on the camera card and at least for the person starting this thread no evidence of it in the ST-16 temporary files. It has only been present in the view screen image.

I thought you said the pixelation seen on the st16 during flight didn't show up on the corresponding controller card file.
I did say that (the video file stored on the ST16). I went back and copied that file to my computer and it looked perfect.
But......apparently my computer did some kind of trick with that file. After I examined the file it was 4K. The computer somehow found the file that I had saved from the camera card and copied it rather than the file from the ST16.
Confused? Me as well.

So I went back to the controller again and played the video that was stored. It does show the pixelation. I recalled uploading it to Youtube for future reference. Here is a link to that file. Sorry for the confusion. I've never had the pc search and replace a file that I had copied.

The pixelation was much worse than I remembered it.

I did say that (the video file stored on the ST16). I went back and copied that file to my computer and it looked perfect.
But......apparently my computer did some kind of trick with that file. After I examined the file it was 4K. The computer somehow found the file that I had saved from the camera card and copied it rather than the file from the ST16.
Confused? Me as well.

There's what I was trying to figure out. Much appreciation for the clarification and edification with more information... I'll just beat my way back on outta here now.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Carr
So, bottom line, the image quality of files saved to the SD card in the camera itself is better than the quality of those same images saved in the ST-16S.

Reactions: PatR
But it seems we just spent several posts trying to make that clear.

Nope. Some posts made that part clear, but most folks already realize this.

The question was; Does pixelation shown on the st16 screen during flight also appear on video files captured on the sd card installed in the st16 controller?

Pat and Steve cleared me up on that.

Confused? Me as well.

So I went back to the controller again and played the video that was stored. It does show the pixelation. I recalled uploading it to Youtube for future reference. Here is a link to that file. Sorry for the confusion. I've never had the pc search and replace a file that I had copied.

The pixelation was much worse than I remembered it.

Thank you for the example, Steve.

That is what I get, to varying degrees, with my E50 and ST16s. Sadly, four E50 exchanges and two ST16s swaps didn’t resolve the condition. They all exhibited the same not so great ST16s imaging. Not even close to what I am used to seeing with my ST16/CGO3+ combo.

Footnote: the exchanges were not all done related to the video quality issue. Other problems were being addressed. Just so happens they provided more sampling opportunities.

My hunch is the extra workload to down sample a larger base image (video) and then transmitting that feed is more taxing on the camera. Either the data rate is higher or something, which the camera cannot handle as efficiently, could be the root cause of the feed issue I am seeing.

I was hopeful the E90 and C23 platforms are more robust, but it looks like there is potential for similar issues showing up.

Hopefully these are isolated incidents (users), not having heard of widespread disappointment.

Jeff

it looks like there is potential for similar issues showing up.
Keeping this in context, this was a one time event for me. It was so unusual that I saved the screen video. I suspect it was related to proximity of the water either through absorption and/or reflection of the video signal. That flight was just one of several used to produce the video in the thread A rather long and painful edit..

Keeping this in context, this was a one time event for me. It was so unusual that I saved the screen video. I suspect it was related to proximity of the water either through absorption and/or reflection of the video signal. That flight was just one of several used to produce the video in the thread A rather long and painful edit..

Acknowledged.

I was mainly pointing out I had finally been shown an example of what my experiences are with my H520 and E50, and with several combinations. Hopefully the experiences are few and far between for everyone else.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniel David