Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Indoor flying with the H

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of flying the H indoors?
I have a reason to film in a small warehouse, obviously take off without GPS but wondering how stable it can be expected to be in a windless environment? I don't want any sudden drift into any structures.

Can I butt in with a quick question on IPS ? Can a standard H go into that mode, or is it only the realsense version that does this ?

Thanks OTR. I haven't tried it myself, but I have seen a lot of videos where the H is flying indoors without drift problems. Here's one of those...As you say, if there isn't any wind, it should be pretty stable, GPS or not. But of course w/o GPS position hold you will obviously have to correct for any drift there is. In a small warehouse you should be OK for room to manoeuvre but just be ultra careful that nothing knocks that flight mode switch into Home by accident !

Oh, one additional thought. If yours is anything like mine, the H can sometimes be a little twitchy around the centre points, meaning it waits for a certain amount of stick input, then slightly jerks forward into action - I guess you'd have to be more aware of that in an enclosed space, and possibly try and offset that with your rates lowered towards turtle a little more than normal...

Last edited:
Thanks OTR. I haven't tried it myself, but I have seen a lot of videos where the H is flying indoors without drift problems. Here's one of those...As you say, if there isn't any wind, it should be pretty stable, GPS or not. But of course w/o GPS position hold you will obviously have to correct for any drift there is. In a small warehouse you should be OK for room to manoeuvre but just be ultra careful that nothing knocks that flight mode switch into Home by accident !

Oh, one additional thought. If yours is anything like mine, the H can sometimes be a little twitchy around the centre points, meaning it waits for a certain amount of stick input, then slightly jerks forward into action - I guess you'd have to be more aware of that in an enclosed space, and possibly try and offset that with your rates lowered towards turtle a little more than normal...
Useful video thanks, I guess one of those prop guards if still available would be a useful addition for indoor flying

Useful video thanks, I guess one of those prop guards if still available would be a useful addition for indoor flying
Yes most helpful in all directions but 2 :) But I did see some of those on amazon the other day for £7 ! I didn't get them because I couldn't see how they attached, they were suspiciously cheap, appeared to cover the navigational lights, and I thought they were a little low on the props so twigs could still get through on high, close tree passes etc but for indoor flying they might be fine... If you do get them, let us know how you get on !

Reactions: OnTheRopes
Has anyone any experience of flying the H indoors?
I have a reason to film in a small warehouse, obviously take off without GPS but wondering how stable it can be expected to be in a windless environment? I don't want any sudden drift into any structures.

Yes the H will fly ok indoors, but (without IPS) you can be sure it will "drift" even without input ; As soon as you takeoff it wont be a windless environment anymore because of the prop wash.

Also, without GPS you can expect normal "drift" from the inertia, e.g:
  1. Push stick forward -> Aircraft moves forward
  2. Release stick -> Aircraft will keep moving forward
For me, landings are the trickiest because of the ground effect.

Extract from an indoors flight I made a few weeks ago:

Good luck in your indoors flight!

Would love to see some footage if possible.

Greetings!

Yes the H will fly ok indoors, but (without IPS) you can be sure it will "drift" even without input ; As soon as you takeoff it wont be a windless environment anymore because of the prop wash.

Also, without GPS you can expect normal "drift" from the inertia, e.g:
  1. Push stick forward -> Aircraft moves forward
  2. Release stick -> Aircraft will keep moving forward
For me, landings are the trickiest because of the ground effect.

Extract from an indoors flight I made a few weeks ago:

Good luck in your indoors flight!

Would love to see some footage if possible.

Greetings!
I see your point regards prop wash and inertia. That was an interesting video, lots of hazards in that buiding, it may be a while but if I film indoors I will post an example.
Cheers, best regards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss