Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Indoor flying

Reaction score
Hi
This is my first thread so forgive me if this has already been inquired about.
I have been asked if i will teach a local scout group how to fly drones. Being a nice person and seeing the positive side of instilling safe flying early on i said yes.
I want to create a portable geofenced area that can be erected easily and used indoors as well as outside.
Its easy to make a geofenced zone that a drone can't fly into but i want to make one that a drone can't fly out of.
Any suggestions
Thanks

I fly a Yuneec Typhoon H and Tornado but won't let them touch the later. I was hoping a simple sensor could be added to the Typhoon H to stop it flying past strategically placed receivers. A system than can be added to different crafts would be great so they can be encouraged to buy their own and bring them along as and when they feel confident.

My suggestion is to forget about indoor flying, instruction only.
The TH Smart Mode has a geo-fence, and perhaps it can be set tighter than the default.
Limit the "flying" class size.

Thanks for that. I was hoping a simple solution was out there. It could have been an easy back up for mistakes and fly aways.

A fly away usually happens because of sensor errors - so relying on sensors to stop flyaways is a bit of a contradiction.

At shows, Yuneec and others usually rely on a fine nylon net 'cage' to fly safely inside.

I didn't want to start having nets made as i'm doing it for free. I was hoping that a simple solution was out, imagine a reverse geo fence.

Risky business, no matter how you look at it.Best to heed the advice already given as you have wisely decided to do.

I don't believe the Typhoon H was made for indoor flying, unless one is speaking of a large arena/indoor stadium kind of place where something like motorbikes or monster trucks or monster performers are in the picture, meaning a large enough venue that is almost like being outdoors anyhow. The Typhoon's considerable prop backwash alone, in any confined space, is a big enough issue to contend with. I saw this with a buddy's H flown inside a very large steel pole building, a flight which ended very badly for both of us.

I love my Typhoon H and believe it is capable of almost everything. But I am reluctant to push the envelope too far, i.e., beyond Yuneec's recommendations, instructions, or the FAA regs. I'll leave that up to folks who don't mind having to wait to have their crashed H repaired, replaced, or repurchased, or face potentially huge FAA fines and even jail time.

Me, I like staying on the right side of things, fly my drones safely and yet as aggressively as I can, and simply be left alone. I don't need or want unnecessary repair bills or to pop up on anyone's radar. To paraphrase an old famous statement I cannot recall the origins of right now (Shakespeare, perhaps?), "A loaf of bread, my Typhoon H, and thou" will do it for me! ("Thou," in my case, being the lady of my dreams I have still yet to meet! She has to love drones and come with her own, too.)

The real flight simulators are pretty legit and very safe. The scouts can wreck as many UAVs as they want. We trained on RealFlight 7.5 for a commercial application and it was pretty spot on. We hooked our laptops up to a projector and flew on a huge screen.

Reactions: Steve Carr
That could be the way forward. It would have been nice to leave behind an invisible safe fly zone.

That would be Omar Khayyam in his Rubaiyat, a man after my own heart.
"
A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness--
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!
"

THANK YOU! Not being able to identify who said it was driving me crazy! It just kind of stuck in my head like things such as this do and now you've solved my puzzle. Don't know how I could have missed it, but your brain is sure firing better than mine!

I, too, enjoy Omar Khayyam's writings, the Rubaiyat being a tremendously insightful writing. They don't make writers like that anymore, that's for sure. Thanks, again, for putting my mind at rest. Now if you can only find those keys I've lost, too...!!

Reactions: Dilly Joat
[QUOTE="CC Rider, post: 85120, member Now if you can only find those keys I've lost, too...!![/QUOTE]
That's easy - they are in the same place as mine which is the last place you will think of looking in!

Reactions: CC Rider

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval