Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Intermittent camera feed loss

I'm curious about the orientation of the antenna.
The mushroom antenna is omnidirectional but only in a circle around the circumference. Directly under or over this antenna is a dead zone.
The flat panel is directional and only receives the signal when the flat surface is pointed directly at the camera. Since it is directional, it provides better reception than the mushroom.

The pics below show the best antenna position for the stick and mushroom antennas assuming the aircraft is straight away from the controller (not overhead).

cloverleaf_antenna_analysis.pngST16 Antennas.jpg

The mushroom antenna is omnidirectional but only in a circle around the circumference. Directly under or over this antenna is a dead zone.
The flat panel is directional and only receives the signal when the flat surface is pointed directly at the camera. Since it is directional, it provides better reception than the mushroom.

The pics below show the best antenna position for the stick and mushroom antennas assuming the aircraft is straight away from the controller (not overhead).

View attachment 29773View attachment 29774
That is very interesting.

Sorry to jump in here but a few days ago I was flying my Typhoon H at around 250-350ft above me (directly above, or possibly about 20-40 or so feet away) and the camera visual on the controller was laggy--it was not freezing, but it was laggy. It freaked me out and I pulled it down as soon as I could. To clarify what I mean by laggy, if I adjusted tilt on the camera, it would have about a 1-2 second delay between controller input to change in the screen.

So, this makes sense to me for that issue. Hopefully it helps this guy as well.

Reactions: Typhhoondan

View attachment 29773View attachment 29774
Hi Steve that is the position I use on the controller antenna. I'm going to try the directional (square) one again and observe the results. It would confirm at least if it's this issue or not.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Maybe it has nothing to do with it, but in recent days there have been rather strong solar flares and geomagnetic storms, which have caused blackouts of radio signals in some areas of the planet.

I also add that any problems with the SD card can cause anomalies similar to those mentioned.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Maybe it has nothing to do with it, but in recent days there have been rather strong solar flares and geomagnetic storms, which have caused blackouts of radio signals in some areas of the planet.

I also add that any problems with the SD card can cause anomalies similar to those mentioned.
Last flights I made was last Friday, so unsure of the impact of these factors. Having experienced issue before I'm inclined to reject as a factor. The sd card is a SanDisk but I will try formatting and see if it helps.
Thanks for the information.

U3 32gb SanDisk used the same in my old Typhoon H and a Nano plus drone
So an update after speaking to yuneec uk. The us firmware should easily give at least 1km range facing towards or away from the drone. They stated camera was likely the issue due to its location for getting knocked about. So I've removed my antenna and found this where the cable is soldered in to the antenna assy. Is it correct to suspect this?

Attachments

• 20230829_170433.jpg
    20230829_170433.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 6
This is a problem that happens very often on yuneec cameras.
Infact it was suggested to you to check the cable
You need to replace the antenna.

This is a problem that happens very often on yuneec cameras.
Infact it was suggested to you to check the cable
You need to replace the antenna.
The antenna was full mounted to its base so I had to actually cut it off to check the cable through the rubber.

Reactions: Pier2162
Or repair it if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Strip about 3mm of the outer insulation to expose more of the outer braided shield. Add a bit of flux to the shield then wrap with fine copper wire from the bottom of the exposed shield up onto the fillet at the bottom of the antenna. Add flux to the wire then use a 450F soldering iron to solder together. Use a hot iron to achieve quickly so the inner insulation for the center conductor does not melt and cause a short.

Or repair it if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Strip about 3mm of the outer insulation to expose more of the outer braided shield. Add a bit of flux to the shield then wrap with fine copper wire from the bottom of the exposed shield up onto the fillet at the bottom of the antenna. Add flux to the wire then use a 450F soldering iron to solder together. Use a hot iron to achieve quickly so the inner insulation for the center conductor does not melt and cause a short.
Thanks for that will give it a go.

Same condition you have:
IMG_1106.jpeg

After using procedure I described in previous post:
IMG_1146.jpeg
Works flawlessly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member