Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is my battery still safe to use?

Reaction score
Hello there, long time no post!

I was wondering if this battery I have been using for the past 3-4 years is still safe to use. Attaching some photos, don't remember if it was this "bloated" when I bought it or what is really considered safe for Chroma batteries.

20210624_222845.jpg20210624_222909.jpg20210624_222858.jpg20210624_222926.jpg20210624_222919.jpg

Hi Ben.
It all depends on how you kept the battery during periods of non-use.
Certainly the slight swelling of the package is not a good sign, but from the photos it does not seem to be so accentuated, although it would probably get worse with battery usage.
Personally, I would do a balanced charge test to see the status of the individual cells, and a measure of the internal resistance, which is the only parameter that can determine the real state of the battery.
To make these measurements you need a charger that has the above options.
Alternatively, you can do cell measurement after charging using a multimeter or voltmeter.
I wouldn't venture a flight without making these measurements first.

Reactions: Ben9722
Hi Ben.
It all depends on how you kept the battery during periods of non-use.
Certainly the slight swelling of the package is not a good sign, but from the photos it does not seem to be so accentuated, although it would probably get worse with battery usage.
Personally, I would do a balanced charge test to see the status of the individual cells, and a measure of the internal resistance, which is the only parameter that can determine the real state of the battery.
To make these measurements you need a charger that has the above options.
Alternatively, you can do cell measurement after charging using a multimeter or voltmeter.
I wouldn't venture a flight without making these measurements first.
Thanks for the quick reply. The battery was always kept inside at a reasonable temperature. Did my best to make sure it was stored at optimal voltage when not in use. The drone was operated in very hot/humid climates so I'm sure that wasn't the best for the battery. As for the testing, wonder if my charger has the capability to. Attaching a photo of it, I do know that it has done a wonderful job in charging the battery for the years I have had it.

Screenshot_20210624-233731_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This informations suggests that the bulge is due to natural aging of electrolytes.
In any case, I would make test flights to evaluate the actual battery life under the load of the engines, and above all check if the bulge, with a hot battery, worsens or remains within the limits of the photos.
It happened to me that an old battery had swollen so much that it couldn't get it out of the drone.
If you are going to use the drone often, my advice is to get you a new battery, which is already difficult given the obsolescence of the model.

Reactions: Ben9722
This informations suggests that the bulge is due to natural aging of electrolytes.
In any case, I would make test flights to evaluate the actual battery life under the load of the engines, and above all check if the bulge, with a hot battery, worsens or remains within the limits of the photos.
It happened to me that an old battery had swollen so much that it couldn't get it out of the drone.
If you are going to use the drone often, my advice is to get you a new battery, which is already difficult given the obsolescence of the model.
Yeah it does seem pretty natural. Heard that lipo don't hold up very well over many years of occasional use. The battery life when I last flew it around a month ago is only around 15 minutes so this battery is likely getting close to its end of life. I managed to get a new battery on Amazon for around $80, will hopefully last me a few years and then I'll finally move away from my Chroma. Might as well enjoy flying the Chroma while I can, it's a rare bird now a days.

Reactions: Pier2162
I'm flying a Chroma too, bought of second hand few years ago, still giving me good pictures and videos.
It's a rare bird but still good.
With my batteries i reach 20 min/fly, they are 6300 mA.
Brand is Cameron Sino.
Important is to refresh batteries every 2~3 months with a full recharge and discharge cycle, followed by a storage cycle.

Last edited:
Hello there, long time no post!

I was wondering if this battery I have been using for the past 3-4 years is still safe to use. Attaching some photos, don't remember if it was this "bloated" when I bought it or what is really considered safe for Chroma batteries.

View attachment 25968View attachment 25970View attachment 25969View attachment 25972View attachment 25971
if the battery rocks when it is sitting on the side of the bulge, time to get rid of the battery. Bulge is natural for LiPo batteries, only difference will be air time will be shorter due to age. Best to get a charger that rejuvenates your batteries and cab test it and also put it in 50% MODE for storage. I use a GiFi charger for my Typhoon H480 and when batteries not in use, I place them on the storage mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430