Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

It was just a dream: Build 777

Perhaps I should also add I’m getting old and tired. Having been a bit of a wild one in my youth I’ve reached a point where what I do is decided more from the pleasure obtained in doing it, rather than desire of financial gain. There’s nice things to be said about stopping to smell the roses[emoji4]

You’re not getting old, you’re a wealth of information

Old enough to be called a company “historian” by co-workers for quite some time before I retired. Being around a long time meant I was there for or got to make the mistakes that new people were prone to make later...[emoji849]

I'm late to the party and echo a lot of what has been said above but I'll throw in my thoughts.

To those of us who follow the 'H Plus' sections of this forum we do see that you do indeed work in one of the less friendly UAV operational environments. No Doubt. But to say of the H Plus: 'if it can't make it here, it can't make it anywhere' is not how I see it - at all. Perhaps, just the opposite. As mentioned above we have all types of operators in a myriad of fields; but that is the point, there are many types of paid flying that the Plus is actually very capable of doing. As operators I think it is good to report our thoughts and let others make a decision based on those findings and for that; I respect your criticisms of the aircraft and Yuneec. But in the end each of us will make an informed decision as to whether or not the Plus is right for our individual needs.

Lets face it, for better or for worse, Yuneec placed the Typhoon H 520 as their 'commercial' variant of the Typhoon series. We all know how that went, no need to beat a dead horse (the subject not the 520).:cool: All of the the 480 variants were/are the 'consumer' version of the Typhoon H, and the Typhoon H Plus was brought out as a 'Prosumer' UAV aimed at photography and videography (those who shoot butterflies and unicorns in big green fields, as you put it):p

In that respect, the H Plus is actually holding its own (for it's designed purpose) in my opinion, while it can still be made better. Your type of work is in an extreme environment for the system you are using. I hope Yuneec continues to improve upon the H Plus and if they can get it to meet the type of standards your environment demands well; thats just Icing on the cake for those of us who use our Plus in other ways.

I will continue to watch and read about the exploits from 'the pit' and really hope you get things worked out; in the mean time, I will keep on doing my thing with the Plus. By the way, this week it was New Homes, Bobcats and Eagles. ;)

'if it can't make it here, it can't make it anywhere' On my last trip to Las Vegas, I prepared my H+ Build 757 has some hiccups, but learned to identify each one. I am not fully discrediting my capabilities of my H+ but there are situations where it can be annoying. During my Las Vegas mission, the H+ did not want to fly, and on this day of the operation all LiDar equipment was off and each operators take turns to fly our assignment, but the H+ was not having it. My second day with build 777 has cost my a days paycheck, and MAN! it was painful. By me criticizing Yuneec the way that I have because, I want them to speed things up!

Consumer and Pro consumer. The majority of the drones that are being used in the pits are consumer drones.

I have been paying attention and reading as much as I can about the H520, but I also do not what to spend on a product that is used by operators working in rural projects. I have been really contemplating about getting the H520. My first flight with build 777 could of been a determine factor for me purchasing the H520.

The solution is simple, and I know some of you fly other drones. In my opinion 1) Yuneec needs to share their dronecod to 3rd party developers, besides Pix4D 2) Test the FW in an ideal location (And I for one do not want to test, as offered, under my current insurance and within my clients property)

Good luck on your flights, I see specialized in real estate. One day, I try to get into it.

Yuneec did open up their code for outside app development but few have elected to participate. That may be due to the numbers of units sold compared to another company. Let’s face it, app developers want to make money from their work and sales volume is everything. The monetary difference between selling 500 apps and 50,000 apps can be the difference between working for $0.50 and $500.00/hour.

The selection of PX4 over a Pixhawk FC is where I believe a great mistake was made. One of the reasons for creating PX4 was to provide an FC that provided basic general functions while allowing people to use the open source code in the basic system to get things flying while granting them the ability to develop “purpose built” code for applications, functions, and features they could keep proprietary. No competitive business wants to develop things their competitors can obtain and use for free in order to compete against the creator. That’s pretty much how DJI obtained their ability to generate flight plans and develop flight modes. Once they encountered difficulty with integrating open source stuff they opened up their code for outside development to create apps that people buy.

The problem with Pixhawk is a reversal of what’s wrong with PX4, everything is open for anyone to alter as needed. It also permits any user to change pretty much anything which causes a great many headaches for system manufacturers. Can you imagine the customer service nightmare caused by uneducated users bumbling about changing flight performance parameters? Yuneec has had plenty of that from people with no knowledge or skill changing rate and expos in the H. Don’t know what to do? Just start pushing buttons and moving sliders without first recording starting points. There have been quite a few with no comprehension at all reassigning channels. Once you’ve screwed everything up go online, post in numerous forums how the manufacturer screwed everything up, marketed a defective product, and hope everyone else will save your a$$. Just the number of people that could not follow firmware update instructions and bricked their H is simply astounding.

The upside of Pixhawk is that everything needed to fly complex missions is already present. Apps are mostly only needed to process collected data after mission completion. The number of flight modes available is immense, flight accuracy is very high, as is system reliability. But the manufacturer cannot effectively control what the user does within the system. We need to remember that most involved with multirotors don’t have a clue but they purchase the most advanced systems they can afford, or even not afford, thinking the system will do everything for them and turn them into the next photo journalist sensation. Shortly after purchase they have trouble in paradise. But it’s supposed to be “buy and fly”, “no experience necessary”, right?...[emoji849]

Last edited:
Reactions: 10-8
I am not fortunate to be flying on a big open green field, filled with butterflies, and unicorns. Some of us flies in an urban setting and others, including myself spend the majority of my time flying in the pits. I was excited for Build 777, I raved about my first initial after my update, I thought it was the answer to the symptoms that I was having, with build 757, but in reality, Build 777 is a placebo, a band-aid, a patch with little documentation as always, and what did it really patch? Some will claim that it fixed All of the problems from the previous FW builds. Therefore let's put to the test and test Build 777 in a not so ideal of a location, because let's face it, without denying the H series are dubbed as a "DJI Killer"

I finally got an HDMI screen recorder, so I can capture a visual telemetry and most of all, show proofs of my headaches with Yuneec, and Yuneec sUAS is not ready for prime-time. If this drone can't make it here, it cannot make it anywhere, and now, I am questioning the reliability of the H520 (if ever I get one) in the world of construction.

So one person has a problem so that makes 777 a failure? I'm starting to think you didn't download it correct

Perhaps it’s more because his experience originated with DJI equipment, generating a bias towards DJI features, independently developed apps, and functionality.

Something common across his posts are iterations of “DJI does thus but H Plus doesn’t, therefore Yuneec has problems”. From Yuneec’s perspective they may not have any problems at all, taking a path long ago decided.

It’s a common lamentation from people transitioning from DJI products.

Last edited:
Yuneec did open up their code for outside app development but few have elected to participate. That may be due to the numbers of units sold compared to another company. Let’s face it, app developers want to make money from their work and sales volume is everything. The monetary difference between selling 500 apps and 50,000 apps can be the difference between working for $0.50 and $500.00/hour.

The selection of PX4 over a Pixhawk FC is where I believe a great mistake was made. One of the reasons for creating PX4 was to provide an FC that provided basic general functions while allowing people to use the open source code in the basic system to get things flying while granting them the ability to develop “purpose built” code for applications, functions, and features they could keep proprietary. No competitive business wants to develop things their competitors can obtain and use for free in order to compete against the creator. That’s pretty much how DJI obtained their ability to generate flight plans and develop flight modes. Once they encountered difficulty with integrating open source stuff they opened up their code for outside development to create apps that people buy.

The problem with Pixhawk is a reversal of what’s wrong with PX4, everything is open for anyone to alter as needed. It also permits any user to change pretty much anything which causes a great many headaches for system manufacturers. Can you imagine the customer service nightmare caused by uneducated users bumbling about changing flight performance parameters? Yuneec has had plenty of that from people with no knowledge or skill changing rate and expos in the H. Don’t know what to do? Just start pushing buttons and moving sliders without first recording starting points. There have been quite a few with no comprehension at all reassigning channels. Once you’ve screwed everything up go online, post in numerous forums how the manufacturer screwed everything up, marketed a defective product, and hope everyone else will save your a$$. Just the number of people that could not follow firmware update instructions and bricked their H is simply astounding.

The upside of Pixhawk is that everything needed to fly complex missions is already present. Apps are mostly only needed to process collected data after mission completion. The number of flight modes available is immense, flight accuracy is very high, as is system reliability. But the manufacturer cannot effectively control what the user does within the system. We need to remember that most involved with multirotors don’t have a clue but they purchase the most advanced systems they can afford, or even not afford, thinking the system will do everything for them and turn them into the next photo journalist sensation. Shortly after purchase they have trouble in paradise. But it’s supposed to be “buy and fly”, “no experience necessary”, right?...[emoji849]

Absolutely correct Pat! I have built several PH 1 & 2 systems and it is by far one of the most advanced and capable systems available at the consumer level. It is used in everything from planes and multirotors to vehicles, boats and subs. And while I would have been thrilled with Yuneec using it in the 520, the problems you outlined above is why most manufacturers won't use it. It would be very difficult to lock out consumers and still be compatible with the frequent upgrades and new features that the Pixhawks bring.

But one path they could have taken was what 3DR did with the Solo. The Solo used a PH2, but because of the very extensive reporting abilities in the flight logs, 3DR allowed use of 3rd party programs (Solex, Mission Planner, Tower) without voiding the warranty. They were able to do this because the logs would show if any parameter changes had anything to do with the warranty claim. And if they did, would deny the claim. A brave approach for a manufacturer, but one that worked for both the consumer and manufacturer. The Solo was so far ahead of it's time (having dedicated processors in both the Solo and the controller) that there is still a large number of users that have taken the guts from the Solo and but them in larger and more complex birds, including myself.

Reactions: record.play.rewind
Perhaps it’s more because his experience originated with DJI equipment, generating a bias towards DJI features, independently developed apps, and functionality.

Something common across his posts are iterations of “DJI does thus but H Plus doesn’t, therefore Yuneec has problems”. From Yuneec’s perspective they may not have any problems at all, taking a path long ago decided.

It’s a common lamentation from people transitioning from DJI products.

DJI spoiled a lot of us, none retired folks, and DJI still leads and remain as the leader in the industry. @PatR I find you contradicting yourself, more often and has been noted in RunRyder. You claimed to have worked in the field. I too am from Northern California and NorCal is not that big, I saw your video post flying your bird in a big open field. I know the veterans in the field here in NorCal and your name is unknown, and none of them will touch a Yuneec product and this is this is a fact. I have one grudge with DJI and that's with the M series.

Yes the constant crying is getting old.

I am, because I am getting more flight hours than most.

And here's a new Nag.. LOL.. But, I want you season pilots be the judge. I will get Yuneec's attention in another platform and help speed this process of them patching up this problem, so to keep all you retired folks flying, and me using my drone for work..

Absolutely correct Pat! I have built several PH 1 & 2 systems and it is by far one of the most advanced and capable systems available at the consumer level. It is used in everything from planes and multirotors to vehicles, boats and subs. And while I would have been thrilled with Yuneec using it in the 520, the problems you outlined above is why most manufacturers won't use it. It would be very difficult to lock out consumers and still be compatible with the frequent upgrades and new features that the Pixhawks bring.

But one path they could have taken was what 3DR did with the Solo. The Solo used a PH2, but because of the very extensive reporting abilities in the flight logs, 3DR allowed use of 3rd party programs (Solex, Mission Planner, Tower) without voiding the warranty. They were able to do this because the logs would show if any parameter changes had anything to do with the warranty claim. And if they did, would deny the claim. A brave approach for a manufacturer, but one that worked for both the consumer and manufacturer. The Solo was so far ahead of it's time (having dedicated processors in both the Solo and the controller) that there is still a large number of users that have taken the guts from the Solo and but them in larger and more complex birds, including myself.

I don’t know if you are aware of how extensive the user base modifying PH2 really is, especially those using the actual FC from a Solo. A tremendous number of recent developments in the aerospace sector can be directly attributed to what was found in PH2. It was fun watching some of them unfold.

R-P-R

The best way to get Yuneec’s attention will not be found here. They neither support or participate in this forum despite what the forum name might suggest. Nor do they participate in any way in the Yuneec Forum of similar name. They do maintain a Facebook page where those so inclined can attempt communications with them but My experiences with it show a preference on their part with issue avoidance and blatant promotional efforts.

I’ve tried “reaching out” in other ways through distributors and service techs with little to show for the efforts. In fact, the only indication they’ve listened to me at all was via a sudden price reduction of the 920+ after I bought one and started writing about it. Grab the moment to clear the shelves if you will.

Don’t get me wrong, I also believe Yuneec could and should do more and be more actively engaged with their customers but after three years of trying to initiate change I don’t see that happening any time soon. Because of that it’s easier to accept their products as is and for what they do and use them accordingly.

Curious, how was I referenced in RunRyder? I don’t engage in anything there. That mention seriously piqued my interest. Thanks.

Oh, by working in “the field” the primary reference is to locations in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Med, and other locations at sea. You don’t need to know them. For ancient references to RC activities look up Tired Old Man at RC Universe. Long ago I went by the name Silversurfer over there. That should take things back to 2003 or so with heavy participation and assistance with giant scale RC set up and gas engines, along with the Wild Hare RC forum. Had to let that go due to conflicts of interest and security in another closely associated field of endeavor. I’d suggest another RC plane site, Flying Giants, but I can’t participate there and have not for years. Participation at RC Groups goes back to 2013 or so but all my posts are in moderated status as the DJI folks don’t like what me and some others have to say. The truth is very irritating for some people. For a period of time I was a moderator and gas engine expert at Team Flying Circus, a site now pretty much dead. Once in awhile I even moderate at the Yuneec Forum. My non aerospace commercial activities in civilian multirotors has been pretty much small time. As I’ve pretty much accomplished what I wanted to do in life and retired I’m not chasing $$ anymore.

In your circle of acquaintances I’m likely not known, or if known, particularly with DJI people, not liked very well, but in other circles that’s certainly not the case.

You don’t need to hang with a group fighting over the same piece of meat to be “known”. If we are secure in who we are we might not even have need of being accepted by a group.

Good job!

Entering a gentleman's agreement, with Yuneec and deleted the photo copy of our Instagram conversations that I posted on here late yesterday afternoon. However, I will only delete my post on Instagram (that has now gone viral) once a new build is in play. I am not testing for Yuneec (as offered) I will never test for anyone, because I kinda like my current profession.

Synopsis: Yuneec is aware of the problem, and much more concerning Build 777

Yuneec has an undeniable great customer service. My telephone conversation, with management earlier this morning was fruitful.

Thank you for all of your support guys.

Testing isn’t bad if you get paid well for it, and the person paying the bill is open to hearing all the test results, not just the good ones.

If it was being done pro bono in conjunction with production work and sugar coating the results it would suck.

Marc Vigod used to own RC Universe but sold it a long time ago. He owns the old Multirotor Forum and a giant scale RC site now. I don’t know if he is/was the same Mark/Marc that owns RunRyder as I don’t participate there. If it is, I certainly understand what your saying about being bought. Same applies to the previous owner of RCG and FG. It’s always been about the money. Really though, most sites with paid advertisers are in it for the money at some level. Moderators usually don’t get any $$ but might see some product. At some sites they can pay a steep price for failing to toe the “party” line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giiir