Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

It's Official FAA 107

Not even close, as we will not be asked questions on gas powered planes and heli's ! Some of the flight requirements yes!, But you are very correct! Knowledge is helpful !;)
There are many courses on that link. The pilot one is the best for you to teach you the rules of the sky like reading sectional charts. It's pretty obvious you won't need all of it.

Reactions: DroneClone
There are many courses on that link. The pilot one is the best for you to teach you the rules of the sky like reading sectional charts. It's pretty obvious you won't need all of it.
Thanks! I have a Sports License and most of the questions I took for that are no where related to UAV's but yes mapping coordinates etc will be very helpful if you request a COA ! Thanks for the Post!

No, the 107 will override the 333 for "Some" flight operations. For instance if you want to fly out of LOS and certain operations outside the 107, you will still need a 333 from what I am reading, haven't finished reading all the details, as I wanted to get this to you all. August 15, 2016 will reveal more!

You're right, I just received this from the FAA, "Part 107 is a new pathway to UAS operations, and provides additional flexibility compared to the Conditions and Limitations of Section 333 exemptions that the FAA has been granting to date. Exemption holders will have the option to operate under the new rule once it becomes effective in August.

Section 333 holders may continue using their exemptions until the exemption expires. If you have filed a petition for amendment to your exemption, the FAA will be contacting you individually to inform you about the status of your petition."

Just a little bit of info for anyone who's interested...

U.K. based.

I'm doing a course for Remote Pilot's cert in a couple of week's time to get 'Permission For Aerial Work' from our CAA. The cost to me will be £900.00 with a further £150.00 (I think) for the CAA to evaluate my flight manual and grant permission. Dunno what the total would equate to in dollars, prolly somewhere in the region of $1500.00?

Looks like you are gonna get a good deal now in the states.

Wow reading all these posts is like flying my drone, A lot of ups and downs. At least I see the certification price is very reasonable. Do you have to take the UAS Safety Ground School for $499 if you are newer to flying drones?

Wow reading all these posts is like flying my drone, A lot of ups and downs. At least I see the certification price is very reasonable. Do you have to take the UAS Safety Ground School for $499 if you are newer to flying drones?
No. You can read/study and pass with a 2.0 GPA in my mind! LOL:confused:

Just some questions for clarity on the new rules:

Background Info:
C3 Cyber Club is the DMV areas leading technological after school program. Currently, we are interested in expanding our curriculum into the field of drones. Our goal is to be able to allow our students, under the guidance of our mobile instructors, to fly drones and understand the dynamics of flying. The drones we will be using are purchased from coscto and weigh around 1.5 lbs Many of the establishments we serve are in areas near airports, or no fly zones.

Questions:
Is it possible for our students to fly their drone outside in the school area?
Do we have to get our Instructors certified?
Do we have to register every drone?
If we are within 5 miles of an airport who do we call?
Is there any paperwork that needs to be done?

Yes to all, except once you register the drone, one number fits all! But if you fly for $$$ then each drone will have it's own "N" number for commercial use, If you are outside of an airport listed as 3-5 miles no report necessary, inside yes! (depends on what type airport?) Towered or non-towered.
What kind of school? A public school? or your school? Need more info!

Yes to all, except once you register the drone, one number fits all! But if you fly for $$$ then each drone will have it's own "N" number for commercial use, If you are outside of an airport listed as 3-5 miles no report necessary, inside yes! (depends on what type airport?) Towered or non-towered.
What kind of school? A public school? or your school? Need more info!

Generally, we teach in public schools.
How much would certification for one instructor be?
We have some schools within the range of big airports( Dulles International Airport) and some in range of some smaller one, who do we contact and how would we contact the airport. I downloaded the "B4UFLY" and it says we cant fly in our area, could we possibly get a waiver?

You need a FAA 333 or soon to be out FAA 107 (August) If your instructors are flying they need a minimum of a Sports Pilots license, or easier and cheaper to be in August, a Pilots Certificate ! All this I am assuming for you to make $$$ ! If no money for profit, you can teach anyone you want to fly a drone! Call Love or DFW Airport and ask for Traffic Control and explain your desire, or when you have a 333, you can request a COA (Certificate of Authorization), If approved, you can fly there under their restriction and you can request from drone manufacturer a code to remove the restricted geofence!
333 are free, Sports Licence about $6K , the other 107& Pilots Cert about $350.00, So wait! as a 333 takes 6 months!
If you are not a part of the school, you'll need written permission to fly there.
How much will you pay? I am licensed!LOL ;)

Go to the FAA website and download the free online books Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) and free test sample questions.

Passed with 83%. Was tougher than I expected, Many questions required in depth knowledge of sectional maps and the details of class of airspace from the symbols, altitudes separating the spaces in areas with many airports near each other with overlapping airspaces and antennas nearby. Thought I understood these but realized I have more to learn. Need to know what handbook various information can be found in too.

Congratulations! Good Job!.
Mind elaborating some? I do not want questions/answers, but by antennas? you mean power poles and towers and their height (like fractions)? bottom some in parenthesis 45/(15). For the inverted "V"(single tower) and "M" (multiple towers) like symbols of towers/power poles?
What specifically do you mean about "from the symbols? Airport classification symbols?
Just wanted some elaboration, I have a sports pilots license 16 years ago, and passed Sectional Charts fine, but your terminology has offset me! Thanks

The crazy thing is how unprepared ATC and airport folks are to handle us drone pilots. When I called ATC they were confused about the drone matter.

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Passed with 83%. Was tougher than I expected, Many questions required in depth knowledge of sectional maps and the details of class of airspace from the symbols, altitudes separating the spaces in areas with many airports near each other with overlapping airspaces and antennas nearby. Thought I understood these but realized I have more to learn. Need to know what handbook various information can be found in too.

You did better than me Ken, 82%

Yes, the charts stymied me too :(

When I started trying to decipher them (about 4/5 weeks ago) they were as confusing as those 3D Sterograms ... remember them? :(

Must have made some progress though eh? Need more though!!

By symbols I mean differentiating between Class C/D/E airspace by the color or the circles and dotted vs shaded and the upper and lower altitudes of each space at different points. I have a general understanding but some of their examples were from highly populated areas of the US with intersecting airspaces of maybe 5 or 6 various sized airports and multiple obstructions (like towers) there too. I don't understand the airspaces to that level of detail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval