Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I've had a fly away and lost my drone

Reaction score
Hi all not had the greatest time with the drone today, I updated the drone the other day and thought I'd take the drone out for some test flights. Had been working just fine and had just landed the drone for the 3rd time to change batteries and after take off I started pushing forward then suddenly it speeded up and become unresponsive and went on a journey, first thing I done was to put it in home mode but still nothing. It then changed direction and it looked like it was coming back, I noticed on the screen it was telling me something about the compass and to land straight away. It flew past me and headed over a private lake then I lost signal. Took me a while to get access from the owner to the private lake, He was really helpful and assisted trying to find the drone. The night was approaching and I had to give up. I've checked the GPS details and re-looked at the footage but it had froze while above the lake, it might had even dropped in? I'm gutted as the whole reason I purchased this was for my wedding which I'm going abroad in two weeks for. I'll contact Yuneec in the morning and hope they can help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 20.51.53.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 20.51.53.png
    548.5 KB · Views: 100
It would be helpful to many if you posted the firmware versions you used for both the Controller and the TH itself, and if you did the calibrations and had to rebind or not.

I had a very similar thing happens o be with the August version of the firmware, and the Sept 1 and Sept 16th firmware never actually worked for me at all, could not get ff the ground.

You first course of action is to contact Yuneec Monday by Phone and explain what happened. They will ask you to upload the Files for the ST16 itself, which keeps a very specific set of files that record everything. The stick positions even while you fly. They will look at that and make a decision on what to do.

They have been very good about repairing them so I suspect if its not some sort of error on your part they will do that for you.

The other thing I can suggest, is most credit cards have accidental breakage coverage. keep that in mind if you can get Yuneec to cover it. You ill need a letter fro them saying they are not covering it under warranty.

As for timing, it can be a few weeks to get it back, unless you find someone sympathetic at Yuneec that can help.

Keep us posted, Especially on the software versions you were using....

Sorry to hear your drone flew away. Hope you find whatever is left of it.
Good luck with Yuneec.

Most of all, the only truly important thing is your wedding, don't let the drone problem take from your joy and happiness. Drones come and go, your wedding can endure.

It would be helpful to many if you posted the firmware versions you used for both the Controller and the TH itself, and if you did the calibrations and had to rebind or not.
I'm on the new firmware st16_system_v03.01.b23 and TyphoonH_ver2.25 and there was no need for the rebind

I had a very similar thing happens o be with the August version of the firmware, and the Sept 1 and Sept 16th firmware never actually worked for me at all, could not get ff the ground.

You first course of action is to contact Yuneec Monday by Phone and explain what happened. They will ask you to upload the Files for the ST16 itself, which keeps a very specific set of files that record everything. The stick positions even while you fly. They will look at that and make a decision on what to do.

They have been very good about repairing them so I suspect if its not some sort of error on your part they will do that for you.

The other thing I can suggest, is most credit cards have accidental breakage coverage. keep that in mind if you can get Yuneec to cover it. You ill need a letter fro them saying they are not covering it under warranty.

As for timing, it can be a few weeks to get it back, unless you find someone sympathetic at Yuneec that can help.

Keep us posted, Especially on the software versions you were using....

Thank you for your advise I've already took the relevant data from the ST16 for them. I live around 20 miles from their London base so hopefully they can help me as I'll drive to them to retrieve one if they can see it wasn't my fault.

I was not expecting you to say it was b23 and 2.25 - Give Yuneec a call Monday, but don't dwell on this, you will get it fixed one way or another....

Sorry to hear your drone flew away. Hope you find whatever is left of it.
Good luck with Yuneec.

Most of all, the only truly important thing is your wedding, don't let the drone problem take from your joy and happiness. Drones come and go, your wedding can endure.
Thank you for your kind comment, yes the drone was to just give another angle to the wedding. I'm photographing the wedding anyway but I thought it would be great to also video it as we are going to Saint Lucia and felt we would get some stunning images.

First I would go back to where you took off. Do a 100 meter circle and mak sure it didn't land close to you. Look in the trees. Sorry you experienced the fly away. Fly safe.

First I would go back to where you took off. Do a 100 meter circle and mak sure it didn't land close to you. Look in the trees. Sorry you experienced the fly away. Fly safe.
I'll have to visit their tomorrow now as it will be all shut up at this time of night. Good point about going back to the location I took off.

Hi Marky, unbelievable but my son lost his (our) Typhoon H today as well. Same issues. After an update a couple of days ago, he today should fly it. First no problems, but after a while I did not answer on his commands and the same alert with Compass was not correct and that he should land right away. It was not pssible to land, and then it just took of.
After trying to follow it, we went back and after a while found the log file. Though it looks like it lost connection when it was still flying high, so it probably continued on for quite some time. Would really like to here what resonse you got from Yuneec.
//Lars

Hi Marky, unbelievable but my son lost his (our) Typhoon H today as well. Same issues. After an update a couple of days ago, he today should fly it. First no problems, but after a while I did not answer on his commands and the same alert with Compass was not correct and that he should land right away. It was not pssible to land, and then it just took of.
After trying to follow it, we went back and after a while found the log file. Though it looks like it lost connection when it was still flying high, so it probably continued on for quite some time. Would really like to here what resonse you got from Yuneec.
//Lars
So sorry for your loss as well, I'll update as soon as with Yuneecs response on the matter

Sorry for the both of you today, roughly how high, how far away and how fast was it flying prior to it no longer being controllable?

Man, does not give you that warm fuzzy feeling.
Interesting that you lost control, but were still receiving telemetry information that contained GPS information.

It was very close and not so high (10 meter or so up and 20-30 meter away from me). I found out that the error log indicates 32 - Compass error. Then I had to take it up higher to nat crash it into some buildings/trees it started to fly against. But then it was uncontrollable...
I tried to upload the Telemetry file, but it was not the correct file extension to be uploaded??

Sorry for the both of you today, roughly how high, how far away and how fast was it flying prior to it no longer being controllable?
Hi it hadn't long took off I was just checking on the follow me feature then I decided to take it on a flight so it was very close to me and I was flying around 20 feet from the ground, just above tree hight. Here is a link of the footage, you'll see after I've finished testing the follow me feature while the camera is still looking at me I push forward on the controls then as you'll see the camera turns and the drone speeds up this is where I had no control

That for me is not very reassuring about that bird...very surprised it was so close thus virtually assuring a weak signal was not the problem. Again very sorry...thanks for that additional information. I hope things can be resolved quickly for you.

Man, does not give you that warm fuzzy feeling.
Interesting that you lost control, but were still receiving telemetry information that contained GPS information.
When it reached over the lake this is where I lost GPS as the picture I posted earlier showed but the video footage showed two very fast ending videos which looks just over the lake, here is the first and here is the second

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone