Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Jerky Panning

Reaction score
I need to point out that I am new to both flying a drone ... and to posting on a discussion board. I've searched for my issue and cannot find any related posts. I apologize in advance if my question has already been dealt with.

I have owned a Typhoon H for two years. This is my first "real" drone, so I didn't know that my problem was really a problem until I took it in for repairs following a minor crash. I learned from the repair tech that the video feed during panning should be super smooth.

Panning, no matter the speed, the setting or the method chosen, results in minor jerking. It is visible on the controller screen in real time as well as during video playback after downloading and viewing clips on my computer. The best description I can provide is this - I fly to 100' and hover. I place the panning selector in the middle position. I turn the pan rate knob slowly to initiate the turn. I then witness a rhythmic "hesitation" every half second or so as the camera pans. This hesitation last only a microsecond, but it is just enough to be noticeable and annoying. Interestingly, the same hesitation occurs if I manually pan by using the left controller.

Has anyone experienced this? More importantly, does anyone have a suggestion for correcting this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-ND500

Couple of things to consider...

1) What are the specs on the microSD card that you have in the camera? Is it the one that came with the H? If it's one you bought, is it rated U3 Class 10 or V rated? If you know, what is the write speed of the card? You ideally want at least 80 MBp/s write speed.

2) How powerful is your computer? Takes some processing power to smoothly play full 4K... Have you tried downsizing the video to 1080 to see if that smooths your playback?

One of my CGO3+ cameras was damaged from a crash. Among other issues this camera has a random jerk every now and then to one side (on the yaw). It's completely random and lasts just a fraction of a second, but as you mention it is definitely noticeable when reviewing video.

I attribute this to being damaged on the crash. I still have to replace the yaw motor to see if this fixes it.

Greetings!

I need to point out that I am new to both flying a drone ... and to posting on a discussion board. I've searched for my issue and cannot find any related posts. I apologize in advance if my question has already been dealt with.

I have owned a Typhoon H for two years. This is my first "real" drone, so I didn't know that my problem was really a problem until I took it in for repairs following a minor crash. I learned from the repair tech that the video feed during panning should be super smooth.

Panning, no matter the speed, the setting or the method chosen, results in minor jerking. It is visible on the controller screen in real time as well as during video playback after downloading and viewing clips on my computer. The best description I can provide is this - I fly to 100' and hover. I place the panning selector in the middle position. I turn the pan rate knob slowly to initiate the turn. I then witness a rhythmic "hesitation" every half second or so as the camera pans. This hesitation last only a microsecond, but it is just enough to be noticeable and annoying. Interestingly, the same hesitation occurs if I manually pan by using the left controller.

Has anyone experienced this? More importantly, does anyone have a suggestion for correcting this issue?

-ND500
Put the camera to pan as it is sitting on a table and look to see if it is doing the same thing. Physically look at the camera to see if it jerks. If not, your SD card may not be fast enough to handle what you are doing.

-ND500
Usually it's the SD card that is the root of the problem...the write speed not being fast enough. A U3 card should eliminate it. If it's happening in edited video but not the original then it could be caused by your video editor demanding too much from your computer...or your computer just hasn't got the legs.

@ND500 unless I’m mistaken it sounds like you witness this rhythmic hesitation as visible in real time on the controller. You later see it in the recorded video.

If you see this in real time on the controller when flying then we can rule out that it is caused by a slow SD card.

If this is the case then the camera is suspect.

Is what I’ve said your experience?

@ND500 unless I’m mistaken it sounds like you witness this rhythmic hesitation as visible in real time on the controller. You later see it in the recorded video.

If you see this in real time on the controller when flying then we can rule out that it is caused by a slow SD card.

If this is the case then the camera is suspect.

Is what I’ve said your experience?
Yes, I've just re-read the OP. I somehow missed where he said that it is visible in real time on the controller as well as in recorded footage. I agree that if this is the case then the problem may lie elsewhere than the SD card. A sticking gimbal maybe? He does say that it happens when panning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech