Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just In From the FAA

So what has happened to the NPRM process?

I am sure this is the first phase. Recall after 336 came out they issued the "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft." first, and then a few months later the actual NPRM came out. I suspect a similar track is being followed here. But nobody know for sure when the NPRM will appear. They also have to develop the test, work up a process for recognizing Community Based Organizations (CBO), and getting LAANC going for recreational sUAS. Meanwhile they issued AC 91-57B, this notice, and we are all apparently just fine ignoring them for now.

The world of RC aero modeling just changed, for the worse, forever.

A special thanks to the multirotor community (with thick sarcasm) for being of such tremendous assistance in making this come to pass.[emoji22]
i know just what u mean i started rc in 1978 never had problems with faa as long as u stad away from airports and we had a rc club right nex tto airport never had any problems we are common people just wanna have some fun, also how do u figure the hospital drones fly from one to next hospital hmmmm no line of sight there,so y cant we have fpv without spotter in a reasonable area say 1.000 ft square

i know just what u mean i started rc in 1978 never had problems with faa as long as u stad away from airports and we had a rc club right nex tto airport never had any problems we are common people just wanna have some fun, also how do u figure the hospital drones fly from one to next hospital hmmmm no line of sight there,so y cant we have fpv without spotter in a reasonable area say 1.000 ft square
Hospitals aren't hobby and since they are flying Part 107 there is a process to get "relief" from a regulation in the form of Part 107 Waivers. This particular waiver is:

§ 107.31 – Visual Line of Sight Aircraft Operation

Here is a list to all currently available Part 107 Waivers:

AMA, FAA...sUAS rules. guidelines. suggestions... A poop show of extraordinary proportions. My take is the FAA put out the operations guidelines with AMA approval.

Then, upon actually seeing the changes, the AMA membership (and other sUAS users) got mighty pi$$ed off. Suddenly AMA goes all church lady and sends a missive basically saying "never mind all that earlier FAA kerfuffle. We'll get this all straightened out so you can keep those dues coming!"

Reactions: PatR
AMA, FAA...sUAS rules. guidelines. suggestions... A poop show of extraordinary proportions. My take is the FAA put out the operations guidelines with AMA approval.

I can absolutely tell you that was not the case. It was the FAA published this to AMA's surprise.

AMA scrambled to try to save face since these guidelines pooch up the song they have been singing.

Reactions: Good time Charlie
Maybe, but the AMA has been sucking up to the FAA since the first ARC committee in order to assure their survival, and pointedly avoided submitting a friend of the court brief to assist the lawsuit against the registration requirement. They still lack being identified by name as THE national community based modeling organization so I propose that until then they will continue avoiding ruffling any federal feathers. Be that as it may, their cash cow fixed flying sites have obtained protected status so those with a herd mentality still have a place to fly, provided those sites are located close enough to them to make their use practical.

I sort of recall the AMA playing the same game with early drone registration, suggesting AMA members didn't need to do that right away.

Maybe, but the AMA has been sucking up to the FAA since the first ARC committee in order to assure their survival, and pointedly avoided submitting a friend of the court brief to assist the lawsuit against the registration requirement.

Sucking up? You bet. Getting results? Nope. AMA has time and again been caught off guard by FAA action despite endless comforting post about how well things are going.

They still lack being identified by name as THE national community based modeling organization

Because until the new law there was mechanism for doing that. Congress has now provided a clear definition what a CBO is and instructed FAA to develop a process to recognize CBOs and list them when they do. That is all in Section 349.

I sort of recall the AMA playing the same game with early drone registration, suggesting AMA members didn't need to do that right away.

Yep, they have a history of telling members they can ignore the FAA. I think this is absurd.

The law defining a CBO has to have them more than a little concerned. The last competing RC CBO was pretty much driven out of business by the AMA but this legal definition provides some impetus for one or more new groups to form, especially if and when they establish the amount of money the AMA is taking in.

Works a lot like charity groups where big bucks are taken in but very little gets back out to those the charity was formed (on paper anyway) to serve. Operating expenses and salaries ya know. Easy money...

FWIW, here is the wording regarding CBOs in Section 349:

“(h) Community-Based Organization Defined.—In this section, the term ‘community-based organization’ means a membership-based association entity that—

“(1) is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

“(2) is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

“(3) the mission of which is demonstrably the furtherance of model aviation;

“(4) provides a comprehensive set of safety guidelines for all aspects of model aviation addressing the assembly and operation of model aircraft and that emphasize safe aeromodelling operations within the national airspace system and the protection and safety of individuals and property on the ground, and may provide a comprehensive set of safety rules and programming for the operation of unmanned aircraft that have the advanced flight capabilities enabling active, sustained, and controlled navigation of the aircraft beyond visual line of sight of the operator;

“(5) provides programming and support for any local charter organizations, affiliates, or clubs; and

“(6) provides assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites.

“(i) Recognition Of Community-Based Organizations.—In collaboration with aeromodelling stakeholders, the Administrator shall publish an advisory circular within 180 days of the date of enactment of this section that identifies the criteria and process required for recognition of community-based organizations.”.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval