Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Kv rating for H480 and H 520 motors.

John Hennessy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Hi all talented fellow forum members. I am trying to find the KV rating for both the 480 and 520 motors . This is just for a notion that I have for wingless on the propellor tips for sound and efficiency. I have a relative that is an aeronautical engineer designing armament propulsion and soundless wingless to steer them. During xmas he said that he would look at the possibility of redesigning the props. I know that the 520 is exceptionally quiet compared to the 480 but thank heavens we are stealth craft compared to the Phantoms. Who knows if you don't ask you will never know.
John Hennessy . Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Winglets are difficult stuff, on props even more difficult.
Not only do they provide extra weight at the end of a prop but also they are of maximal use in relation to a certain amount of airflow.
In this view one should consider you want the prop tips it to be as light as possible because of power consumption and mass inertia, the latter slowing down the response to adjusting prop speed if the flight controller needs to.
Because H is a quadcopter the motors are constantly revving up and down (varying airflow) to maintain solid and stable flying attitude.

When winglets are adapted to the props other concern comes to play, as Dr. Delta mentioned! Will winglets introduce vortices in a different pattern being so close to the other blades causing blades to vibrate more?

Hi Dr Delta and AH-1G ,
It all started in conversation during Xmas holidays and he said that it would be an interesting project/ experiment to progress with as an exercise in design applications and they have the man power and all the equipment that a government organization has at its disposal. So I am going along for the ride to see where it ends up all that I have to do is make one of my H's available to test in flights . That is why he requires the KV rating of the motors to work out revs etc ,etc. It will be interesting to have a conclusion in the end that they are as good as you will get for all types of uses.
johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi Dr Delta and AH-1G ,
It all started in conversation during Xmas holidays and he said that it would be an interesting project/ experiment to progress with as an exercise in design applications and they have the man power and all the equipment that a government organization has at its disposal. So I am going along for the ride to see where it ends up all that I have to do is make one of my H's available to test in flights . That is why he requires the KV rating of the motors to work out revs etc ,etc. It will be interesting to have a conclusion in the end that they are as good as you will get for all types of uses.
johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
Is he with LHM?

AH-1G,
I am not familiar with LHM, but will ask him on Sunday when we catch up. He originally started in the Airforce then went to higher education under them for this aeronautical design stuff but will find out. It has always been portrayed to me that he works for our Government on designs for stering mechanisms and sound effects of that systems for armaments. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi Johnno,

Of course I understand how the conversation got started, it is always very nice to have a conversation about things of mutual interest, lovely.

It would be fantastic if anyone with such profi resources is willing to spend time and knowledge into upgrading our props. My comments are merely born out of a practical view on the props we use and the very large variations in rpm per second the H flies.
The vortices AH-1G mentions might somewhat be balanced by placing the props in funnels/ducts, but that puts on more weight and also may have other implications on flight controller's behaviour.

I'd say.... keep up the good work, interesting!

Thanks Dr Delta,
That is exactly the way that I am approaching this, if we get some benefits then we'll and good. That may be in the conclusion of change this a little or this can do that but without looking forward we will stay in the same place. Everybody wants more flight time, we have established higher rated batteries have more weight, so why not look at possibly different props for economy and noise and it could be a lucky find. If we don't experiment we would be flying old sopwith camels and driving model 't' ford's.
I am not holding my breath but am looking towards it with enthusiasm. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy