Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LAANC Available to Recreational Drone Operators

So now we can fly near busy class c, d, e, but can't fly within 5 miles of country airports with no traffic and no phone.?

Talking class G?

Who says we cannot?
I tried a new flight plan on the new system with a center in an orange 5 mile circle of a country airport that doesn't answer it's phone. It said I was following all the rules, but it said I was still in violation of something, like flying too close to an airport. This is great for city people, but I want to fly outside the cities.

LAANC is only available for airports in controlled airspace. It is NOT available for country airports, and is not required. The only requirement in Class G airspace is to stay below 400 feet. There is no longer any "5-mile" ring.

You CANNOT rely on some app to tell you if you are in a given type of airspace. That is on you to determine. Learn to read a sectional chart, if for no other reason than it will be a big part of the coming test.

The various phone based apps may, or may not, be updated to reflect the new rules. And some may still show 5-mile rings for information purposes.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
AirMap has made LAANC available to Recreational flyers.....

AirMap Recreational LAANC
But how do we get the Yuneec Platform to understand that we have Authorization? I use AirMap but have to fly my DJI using Airmap because there is no way to let Yuneec know you have clearance. The drone will not fly because it still sees it as a no-fly zone???

So now we can fly near busy class c, d, e, but can't fly within 5 miles of country airports with no traffic and no phone.?
You can fly C, D, E IF you have authorization thru LAANC for whatever time limit and altitude you apply for (still below 400ft). The 5-mile rule still applies to smaller towered and non-towerd airports, helipads (Hospital Life Flights), private strips in which you must contact them and let them know you are within the 5-mile range of their facility, exactly where you are, max altitude you will be at (still below 400 ft) and for how long. You are not asking permission, they can not deny you flying... but YOU must make a true and repetitive attempt to advise them you have a UAS in the air. Especially Life Flights!!!!!!!!!! With the Life Flights, they may ask you to hold off for 15 minutes or so because they have a flight inbound or outbound.

You can fly C, D, E IF you have authorization thru LAANC for whatever time limit and altitude you apply for (still below 400ft)

That is correct.

. The 5-mile rule still applies to smaller towered and non-towerd airports, helipads (Hospital Life Flights), private strips in which you must contact them and let them know you are within the 5-mile range of their facility, exactly where you are, max altitude you will be at (still below 400 ft) and for how long.

This is incorrect. There is no such 5-mile notification radius any longer. It is entirely airspace driven.

Having said that, if you know you are in an area of potential conflicts it might be worth having a VO, monitoring air bands, etc. But you are under no legal obligation to notify or communicate with anyone if you are in Class G airspace.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
BTW - the only way to unlock a Yuneec product is if you have a Part 107 certificate. However, the Yuneec NFZ list is not aggressive at all and in comprised of Class B and Class C airports and some military bases. In California, with as many airports as we have, there are only 12 on the Yuneec NFZ list.

BTW - the only way to unlock a Yuneec product is if you have a Part 107 certificate. However, the Yuneec NFZ list is not aggressive at all and in comprised of Class B and Class C airports and some military bases. In California, with as many airports as we have, there are only 12 on the Yuneec NFZ list.
It will not fly near the class C in my city and that's even with the Part 107 override from Yunnec support. There is no way to tell the aircraft I have LAANC Authorization- so I have to use the DJI with Airmap in those cases. Airmap will not connect to the Yuneec as DJI does.

LAANC has nothing to do with it. Which airport are you not allowed to fly near? Are you seeing a message or is it just not starting?

Here's the list of Yuneec NFZ airports in NC. If you got a Part 107 unlock from Yuneec and it is not working then you need to contact Yuneec. Perhaps you did not unlock it correctly or there is an issue on their end.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 10.19.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 10.19.22 AM.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 6
Asheville Regional Class C, message comes up in red box on controller and limits me to 60 ft. In altitude and 200 ft
radius. I fly in the mountains of Western North Carolina and often have to climb up a mountain side 1200 ft from initial take off while still just above tree line and within the 400 ft rule to get to location if shoot. That's why I have to switch over to the DJI and use AirMap with the LAANC authorization recognized by AirMap to fly within that class C zone. Since Yuneec does not have the ability to connect thru AirMap's app, or vice versa, the Yuneec will not fly. And trying to contact Yuneec support while I am on site is like waiting for the second coming of Christ!!! Its the only time the Yuneec will red flag me is when I am close to the airport whether its 3 miles on either side of the facility map or 5 miles on either side. If I am in that shaded area of the facility map it is a no fly for the Yuneec.

Asheville Regional Class C, message comes up in red box on controller and limits me to 60 ft. In altitude and 200 ft
radius. I fly in the mountains of Western North Carolina and often have to climb up a mountain side 1200 ft from initial take off while still just above tree line and within the 400 ft rule to get to location if shoot. That's why I have to switch over to the DJI and use AirMap with the LAANC authorization recognized by AirMap to fly within that class C zone. Since Yuneec does not have the ability to connect thru AirMap's app, or vice versa, the Yuneec will not fly. And trying to contact Yuneec support while I am on site is like waiting for the second coming of Christ!!! Its the only time the Yuneec will red flag me is when I am close to the airport whether its 3 miles on either side of the facility map or 5 miles on either side. If I am in that shaded area of the facility map it is a no fly for the Yuneec.
The Yuneec controller has a red message box that comes up and limits me to 60 ft and 200 ft radius when near airport.

Call Yuneec. Something went wrong with your unlock.

Also, this should only happen within the surface zone of that Class C airspace. It is an odd shape so maybe Yuneec's software is having issues with that.

I haven't flown my H for quite a while nor kept up with updates. Last I heard Yuneec was no longer doing any updates for the H, so it is doubtful they will do anything to assist in these rule changes so we can fly where it was once verboten.

I don't have a 107 nor plan to, but Yuneec should still support their products for all of us who bought their products as long as they are in business.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop