Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LAANC provider recommendations?

Reaction score
As of today, my local Class D airport has joined the "LAANC-ready" party! Woo hoo!
Up until now, I have not paid any attention to what services the various providers have available, so I'm reaching out to this group to see if any of you have any recommendations.

My needs are few.

> I will need to fly in proximity to this airport only infrequently (<8 times per year).
> I do not need any flight planning features (I use DataPilot for my H520 and MissionPlanner for my FireFLY6 PRO).
> I have no DJI drones and have no plans for adding any in the foreseeable future. I don't need an insurance provider through this source (although I would not be opposed to evaluating this option).
> I have a current FAA airspace authorization, valid through Sep 2019, for the one location that I do fly regularly

I'm basically looking for something that will provide me with "instantaneous" authorizations, perhaps augments my situational awareness with current NOTAMs, etc, is easy to use, does not share my data with non-US governments, has few gimmicks, and is low cost. Any info will be appreciated. Descriptions of what you like and don't like about any of the providers you have used will be really helpful.

Thanks

Once I applied to LAANC for flight clearance slightly over a mile away , aproved about 30 seconds later.

KORL
Executive Airport
Orlando, Florida, USA

Reactions: BigAl07
Skyward if you use a computer and can plan ahead. No on the spot capability. I prefer this option so I have my authorization in hand prior to arriving at the site.

Kittyhawk - still does on the spot LAANC but only allows enterprise customers to pre-plan

Both are essentially instantaneous

Both are free for LAANC

> I will need to fly in proximity to this airport only infrequently (<8 times per year).
> I do not need any flight planning features (I use DataPilot for my H520 and MissionPlanner for my FireFLY6 PRO).
> I have no DJI drones and have no plans for adding any in the foreseeable future. I don't need an insurance provider through this source (although I would not be opposed to evaluating this option).
> I have a current FAA airspace authorization, valid through Sep 2019, for the one location that I do fly regularly

It sounds like AirMap or Skyward would suffice. I used Skyward with great success.

We have an AA that goes until Sept '19 and when I called the tower (our AA mandates we call before & after) the ATC on the phone said, "We don't do verbal approvals any more. You need to get an approval via LAANC now."

I kindly explained I wasn't asking for approval that I had an AA in hand and it mandated us to call the tower each session (Before & after). She put me on hold and came back, "What's your AA#, your location, and estimated flight time?"

We've since used LAANC in the same location and with it we have no "Call the tower" requirement.

Reactions: RPR and AH-1G
Skyward if you use a computer and can plan ahead. No on the spot capability. I prefer this option so I have my authorization in hand prior to arriving at the site.

I use Skyward too. I have the mobile website saved on my phone and it's really easy to use. Screenshot_20190409-195109.jpeg

As Skyward now has a mobile app I see no reason to use any other. I will never trust AirMap as DJI has tentacles deep within them. Kittyhawk is now in this for our money and I suspect their free services will be short lived.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely give Skyward a try. I hadn't realized it was free. Since I do all my mission plans on my laptop, I'll likely use Skyward in this manner too, but knowing that there is a mobile app will allow for modifications in the field if necessary.

The only service I had seen in use was AirMap, and like PatR, I wanted nothing to do with it. And I really am opposed to paying a private business for information that my government has collected and provided.

Thanks again.

I’m afraid the drone world is going to get nickel and dimed to death with ATC services. The manned aviation group had privatization removed from the FAA Reauthorization bill but nothing was put forth to prevent them from charging for drone services. As LAANC and other upcoming services are specifically targeting drone users the only reason to jump in and provide them is money.

I tried to use the mobile app and it says it is only for enterprise members. I can access the computer based version but the mobile appears to be for enterprise only.

Are y'all using an actual app, or mobile website? I have a free account and I'm using the mobile website.

Reactions: Phaedrus
This is the link I use to log in.

I have been using the full site of Skyward on my computer with good success but the mobile website version on my phone does not let me finish the process. I can pretty much do everything except at the end the button to confirm the Rules and finish everything is so far down and outside my screen and there is no way to push it or move the screen to reach it and finish the process. Does anyone has this problem as well? Or is it just my phone?

Last edited:
Interesting. I just tried and I'm having the same issue. There must've been a site update that screwed it up. It won't let you scroll down. I even tried in landscape. I use Google Chrome on my phone, so I hit the three dots in the upper right corner and hit find. Then typed "conditions", which is what it says. It highlighted it and jumped down the page to it. But, it won't let me hit ok. It lets me hit cancel though. Screenshot_20190705-191918.jpegScreenshot_20190705-192042.jpegScreenshot_20190705-192224.jpegScreenshot_20190705-192247.jpeg

Interesting. I just tried and I'm having the same issue. There must've been a site update that screwed it up. It won't let you scroll down. I even tried in landscape. I use Google Chrome on my phone, so I hit the three dots in the upper right corner and hit find. Then typed "conditions", which is what it says. It highlighted it and jumped down the page to it. But, it won't let me hit ok. It lets me hit cancel though. View attachment 17407View attachment 17408View attachment 17409View attachment 17410
Did this work in the past. Did someone actually use it on a phone and was able to finish the process?

Interesting. I just tried and I'm having the same issue. There must've been a site update that screwed it up. It won't let you scroll down. I even tried in landscape. I use Google Chrome on my phone, so I hit the three dots in the upper right corner and hit find. Then typed "conditions", which is what it says. It highlighted it and jumped down the page to it. But, it won't let me hit ok. It lets me hit cancel though. View attachment 17407View attachment 17408View attachment 17409View attachment 17410
In Chrome, have you tried the 'Desktop Site' option? Could just be their phone layout is messed up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval