Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Learned a Lesson with Curved Cable Cam

J

JTorsrud

While setting up a Curved Cable Cam waypoints. I learned it is very important NOT to fly too close to TREES OR A FOREST!

Upon finishing the waypoint route, I let the Typhoon H go on its own. As the curved cable cam makes smooth curves, when the Typhoon H got to the Tree area, it decided to make a wider curve than expected and ended in the crotch of a tall tree! Only words that came to mind was, OH, S--T!

I was recording the route and of all things the only damage was one broken prop and a damaged prop. A Motor error occurred and the power stayed on, with the video still running. Unfortunately, the resolution was set to 4K and I am unable to upload to YouTube.

Lesson Learned, don't fly to close to trees, unless you have ample altitude to stay above the tree line!

Would have been interesting if I had the H Pro and Intelisense active???

Thanks for reading.

JT

Yup, curved cable cam is best used when you're above or far away from objects. Could you not stop the drone while on it's journey, or were you preoccupied operating the camera?

Also, you can stick the video in most editing programs and downsize to 1080p & then upload

i have something near to your story...i have had some points 2m over ground...by the curve process it was going near 30cm and the second flight on CCC with more speed (don't know if i have changed with turtle wheel or with th first input of the stick) but then i was near 2cm to the ground....

Don't trust the altitude control any closer than 30' above the ground or over the top of trees or buildings. It is not capable of precision altitude control in autonomous modes.

Yup, curved cable cam is best used when you're above or far away from objects. Could you not stop the drone while on it's journey, or were you preoccupied operating the camera?

Also, you can stick the video in most editing programs and downsize to 1080p & then upload

No, I was quite a distance from the drone and didn't realize it would go so wide.

The video is really good too. And the crash is outstanding, plus the H landed in the crotch of a branch, perfect landing if you are trying to land in the trees.

I'll try to edit the video down and upload a link for everyone to watch. You know the battery was still on and the camera kept videoing until the memory card was filled up.

Why couldn't you upload the 4K video to YouTube?

My first flight this weekend (just hovering) recorded in 4K and I was able to upload to YouTube.
(The files took a long time, but they did upload. The processing took a long time also.)

One of the files:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It did upload in 4K. It just takes a long time for Youtube to process. The first views you see will be much lower resolution. It can take up to 30 minutes after Youtube says it ready before you can see it in 4K.
Now you need to start playing with camera settings. Auto just sucks on this camera. You should lock the white balance and select and ISO 600 or lower. Play with the shutter speed to get better results. Write down your settings so you know what you used. The camera won't keep the settings once it's shut off.

It did upload in 4K. It just takes a long time for Youtube to process. The first views you see will be much lower resolution. It can take up to 30 minutes after Youtube says it ready before you can see it in 4K.
Now you need to start playing with camera settings. Auto just sucks on this camera. You should lock the white balance and select and ISO 600 or lower. Play with the shutter speed to get better results. Write down your settings so you know what you used. The camera won't keep the settings once it's shut off.

Okay.
I was just going by that you said you were unable to upload it to YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While setting up a Curved Cable Cam waypoints. I learned it is very important NOT to fly too close to TREES OR A FOREST!

Upon finishing the waypoint route, I let the Typhoon H go on its own. As the curved cable cam makes smooth curves, when the Typhoon H got to the Tree area, it decided to make a wider curve than expected and ended in the crotch of a tall tree! Only words that came to mind was, OH, S--T!

I was recording the route and of all things the only damage was one broken prop and a damaged prop. A Motor error occurred and the power stayed on, with the video still running. Unfortunately, the resolution was set to 4K and I am unable to upload to YouTube.

Lesson Learned, don't fly to close to trees, unless you have ample altitude to stay above the tree line!

Would have been interesting if I had the H Pro and Intelisense active???

Thanks for reading.

JT

This is one of the things about Cable Cam - it's dangerous to think it just files from point to point. It's best to avoid sharp turns in any direction unless you're in open space (and not too close to the ground!). I'd be interested to see if your route shows up accurately in my app ( http://www.feertech.com/flightcenter.html ) as I'm trying to give the best estimation of 'how it flies' rather than just show the waypoints.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval