Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lens upgrade opinion

I wonder if the gimbal dampers are too stiff when they're flown in cold conditions? With strong wind chill they could be turning quite hard?

That is a very good theory! Might be an idea to pick up a couple of chemical hand warmers and wrap them around the top of the gimbal for a few minutes before putting it up in the air to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So this makes me wonder if the CGO-CI will use different dampers than the standard CGO3+?

Unless it weighs more or less my guess would be no.

Well, perhaps there is a certain softness or stiffness that works with that lens to absorb the jiggle stuff.. not so much weight. There maybe a certain vibration frequency that is more apparent on that focal length that a specific damper would absorb that may not work as well on the standard lens.

With the H gimbal that may be as little as replacing the isolation balls with different ones of more rigid composition, which can be obtained after market at places like Tarot. It's going to require some experimentation.

Pat are these the gimbal dampeners you are referring to, that will fit the CGO3+ mount?

Tarot gimbal shock ball / black / 2 TL100A19 [TL100A19] - ¥8.00 : Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor

And am I reading that correctly? 8 Chinese Yuan / $1.16 USD for 2?
So for 4 pair and Shipping = 46 Yuan / $6.67... based on today's
conversion rate. Seriously? That cheap... I'll experiment away!

Last edited:
I could not fly today (sloppy snow/rain/wind) but as to the cold and dampening, I will say that I have flown off my front area after taking the H out of my living room near the wood stove, and had the same effect ... I dont' think warming them does anything .. they are already warm. One thing I've considered is simply adding even more mass to the gimbal to lower the vibration suceptibility ... it's not just vibration .. it's twitches ... the gimbal motors are twitching.

Did you add more safety stops to your gimbal? If you did and they are too tight they would interfere with gimbal performance.

The vibration dampers sold by Tarot, Foxtech, Arris and others are not the same design as used on the H, but if they will fit the openings they are certainly cheap enough to try out. They may be too large though.

I did not add any more safety stops ... in fact, thought about removing mine ... what are they for, anyway?

Might have a reason to try various dampers ... thinking about flying a 360 spherical cam ...

Hi, folks! I feel really good that I might be able to add a small bit of assistance, here. I just got my 8.25mm lens back from having Peau install and focus it. They are REALLY similar in size, and I thought Joe told me that there was not much - if any - difference in weight, so the gimbal shouldn't need to be adjusted. We'll see about that, since you folks catch even the SLIGHTEST movements! Amazing! And I'm very happy to be part of this team. Anyway, here is a still,

and you can see the 4k video I did here:

Mark, that's a pretty scene. The lighting is cool. Thanks for sharing.
I'm wondering if the jitter we see is a result of the 8.25mm lens and cold gimbal. Since the lens is about 2x zoom compared with the stock lens, it is much more sensitive to camera movements. To compound the problem, the rubber dampers are stiffer in the cold and can't absorb tiny drone movements as well.
Some have also noticed what could be gimbal stiction while panning. I suppose that could also be a result of cold. If that persists when warm, there could be dust in the gimbal bearings.

Reactions: Mark Davini
I've experienced what seems to be gimbal "sticking" but only when temps are under 25*

Mark, that's a pretty scene. The lighting is cool. Thanks for sharing.
I'm wondering if the jitter we see is a result of the 8.25mm lens and cold gimbal. Since the lens is about 2x zoom compared with the stock lens, it is much more sensitive to camera movements. To compound the problem, the rubber dampers are stiffer in the cold and can't absorb tiny drone movements as well.
Some have also noticed what could be gimbal stiction while panning. I suppose that could also be a result of cold. If that persists when warm, there could be dust in the gimbal bearings.
Hey! Thanks for the compliment and all the wonderful feedback! Those are really good suggestions. And you're right - since we're 2x (or more) zoomed in, any fitter will be magnified by two. Some folks talked about using software to smooth it out after, but I'll have to do more testing. Up here in south east Minnesota, it's cold. **** cold right now. I'll need to wait for some warmer weather.

I've experienced what seems to be gimbal "sticking" but only when temps are under 25*

Fahrenheit? Jeebus! I think the stuff I was shooting was like 3* F! It's been really cold here.

Some folks talked about using software to smooth it out after, but I'll have to do more testing.

I also have to do some testing when I get my camera back with the 8.25 installed, but this program was suggested,
and it seems to be designed with the specific artifacts we see in the CGO3 in mind:

Mercalli<span style="vertical-align: 25%;"><font size="4"><sup>®</sup></font></span> V4 SAL+ | ProDRENALIN

I hope their software is better than the titling of their web page... o_O

Fahrenheit? Jeebus! I think the stuff I was shooting was like 3* F! It's been really cold here.

Yea, Fahrenheit. It has been running between -3* and 20*F here of late and why I haven't taken my new one with the PixAreo lens outside yet. Only 8* when I got up this morning.

Reactions: Mark Davini

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis