Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LiHV vs. LiPo

Hello,
I'm giving you my feedback about the use of the original LiVH H PLUS. I have been flying since June 11, 2018 and I have always used LiVH first, then new H 480 batteries.
I am disappointed with their life because they are simply dead. They do not keep the load over several days and I can not raise their internal resistance. In addition they are slightly swollen and rub a lot when introduced into the H.
The others (the 480) are in great shape.
The situation deteriorated very quickly, in 3 flights. The duration of the last flight was 6.30 mn at the 1st warning.
I will not buy new LiVH for their price and reliability.
The difference in flight time is negligible.

Just looking for opinions here, does anyone believe the circuity and power system design of the H+ is so tightly controlled that the peak voltage delta between a LiHv and LiPo actually makes a difference? Most every power system I’ve ever encountered has a functional range of +/- “x” volts.

Last edited:
Just looking for opinions here, does anyone believe the circuity and power system design of the H is so tightly controlled that the peak voltage delta between a LiHv and LiPo actually makes a difference?
Absolutely not. It is completely unfeasible as well as unnecessary in consumer grade product.

Last edited:
Been thinking this for awhile, but perhaps the only voltage difference that is of significance is the warning voltage trigger level. As Yuneec can set that to be whatever they want as it is a user input feature in both Pixhawk and PX-4, setting it up higher or lower than an H causes customers to believe there is a critical requirement for different battery chemistries between the old and new models. In short, customers might be getting played for fools to elicit accessory sales.

Reactions: DCH
In short, customers might be getting played for fools to elicit accessory sales.
"MIght"? Ya think? And with the higher the price and shorter life span of the LiHv it is in their best interest to play the customer base and dupe them into thinking they need the LiHv and are actually getting something extra for their extra money. In the big picture 0.4vdc is essentially nothing. We loose that much waiting for satellites. Remember it looks very impressive on paper: 14.8 vs 15.2, like it's a whole volt more, but it's the same psychological principle as $9.99 vs $10.00. Yes it is more, but is it really?

You are absolutely right about the most important voltage being the low voltage threshold, with a little tweak you could get the same flight time with LiPo. OK maybe a second or two less. :rolleyes:

Some of the smaller components have individual step down power supplies to 5v so the battery voltage is not critical. The 1st low batt warning voltage setting is likely set to a level that protects the battery from being discharged to low as well as maintaining enough power to land.

Reactions: DCH
Just looking for opinions here, does anyone believe the circuity and power system design of the H+ is so tightly controlled that the peak voltage delta between a LiHv and LiPo actually makes a difference? Most every power system I’ve ever encountered has a functional range of +/- “x” volts.

Can't say for sure with the H+. I can tell you that on my F5J motor launch gliders you can absolutely feel the extra "oomph" using LiHV. Plus a slightly higher starting voltage with the same cutoff should theoretically give a tad more flying time. How much more? No idea. Not even sure you would notice.

I don't know who makes the batteries for Yuneec but I doubt that Yuneec was aware of a shorter life expectancy from LiHV batteries.

Agreed. And whomever does make them does a pretty crappy job. I have never been happy with the way so many drone manufacturers lock you into their proprietary battery format. It would be OK if they used top quality cells, but they don't.

Reactions: DCH and PatR
I am starting to think yuneec is using LiHV cells that were rejected from the h520 for the h plus. I currently have 4 h520 oem LiHV and yet to have any issues as being described here. That being said I am using a third party LiHV from venom currently have 8 flights so far very solid and better than yuneec oem so far. A bit new still need to do 15 more full flights per battery and see how it holds up that be a while. Also I am not using yuneec oem charger for battery. I had yuneec h480 batteries damaged from the h480 oem charger. I am using 2 dy5's chargers for power management. I am getting a new shipment of 8 ultrax h480 batteries. These are to replace 2 yuneec oem h480 batteries and add flight battery capacity to 24 batteries from 18 batteries.

I am starting to think yuneec is using LiHV cells that were rejected from the h520 for the h plus. I currently have 4 h520 oem LiHV and yet to have any issues as being described here. That being said I am using a third party LiHV from venom currently have 8 flights so far very solid and better than yuneec oem so far. A bit new still need to do 15 more full flights per battery and see how it holds up that be a while. Also I am not using yuneec oem charger for battery. I had yuneec h480 batteries damaged from the h480 oem charger. I am using 2 dy5's chargers for power management. I am getting a new shipment of 8 ultrax h480 batteries. These are to replace 2 yuneec oem h480 batteries and add flight battery capacity to 24 batteries from 18 batteries.

How many flights do you have on those 520 OEM packs? I did not really 'catch' where my original Plus batteries started going down but I have been watching #3 closely and around sixty flights seems to be where the rate of flight time starts to increase.

I am inclined to believe this is an issue with all LiHV cells. So it isn't a problem with only Yuneec batteries.

Late to the party, but you asked for opinions.
Absolutely not. It is unfeasible Yuneec designed a power system specifically for the Plus. The regulators are certainly "off the shelf".

I am inclined to believe this is an issue with all LiHV cells. So it isn't a problem with only Yuneec batteries.
Yuneec does not manufacture its LiVH batteries, but makes them pay dearly for the quality and the result.
Yesterday I brought to recycling the only 2 LiVH I had for over a year, they died ...:rolleyes:

I've been reading this older thread and have a general related question.
If I used a H480 battery in my Plus how accurate is the % reading. Sure wish it read volts instead of %!
I'm accustom to landing the plus battery at 30%, is the H480 battery at critical voltage if I land at the same 30% level?
Will likely test this weekend and see what the voltage reading is right after landing.

Based on what I saw in JackMTaco’s post I don’t believe there is any way percentages can be correct for either the H or H Plus/520 batteries as full charge state is incorrect for both of them.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Based on what I saw in JackMTaco’s post I don’t believe there is any way percentages can be correct for either the H or H Plus/520 batteries as full charge state is incorrect for both of them.
Yes, but frankly, we do not care. From the first alert, we land where possible.
I have not yet look at the minimum voltage, but I have more confidence with the old batteries.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis