Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Long range antennas for ST16

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the Typhoon H with the ST16 and would like to know the best range extender antennas out there that I should consider? When flying I have noticed that the video seems to freeze when the drone really isn't that far away. A little information on the best antennas would be very helpful. Thanks, Wigs

You should do a search of this forum. There are plenty of threads on this very subject.

You should do a search of this forum. There are plenty of threads on this very subject.
Thanks, I am looking at the ITELITE ANTENNA SYSTEM YUNEEC ST16. A lot of good reports on it. Do you have any input on it?

I don't, but there are folks on this forum that do. Search is your best friend, especially if you are new to the forum. That way there aren't a bunch of duplicate threads on the same subject.

Reactions: Wigs
Wigs,
At the top right of every page is a magnifying glass or search function.
Do a search on antennas, you will get tons of hits.
The camera on the Typhoon H uses a Left Hand Circular polarized clover leaf antenna.
(say that 10 times fast)
The Mushroom antenna on your ST-16 is the clover leaf receiving antenna for the video. They have to be pointed towards each other to function correctly, but have a null or non receiving area when pointed directly at each other (imagine a doughnut with the hole in the middle) As you move the camera around, it will change the orientation of the antennas. Sometimes just playing with the angle of the mushroom antenna on the ST-16 will give better performance.

Reactions: Wigs
There's some good info here on the ITELITE ANTENNA SYSTEM. For the Typhoon H and the ST16 I see that there are two available. One with two antenna cable connections and the other with three. Does it matter if you buy one with three and use it with a unit with two connections? I'm thinking down the road and upgrades? I'm looking for reviews on this. Does anyone out there know where I might find them? Thanks guys for your time.

If you buy the three connected antenna now. You can always add the external connection later.

The three antenna kit addresses the H Pro as it comes out of the box. The -16 for that one is a three antenna unit.

I've recently purchased and fitted the Itelite 3 antenna connection kit to my original ST16. It isn't that hard of a job to do and it takes the 2.4 antenna (for telemetry - which is inside the ST16) and adds it to the existing two antenna connections that are already on the top of the ST16.
The ST16 Pro already has this done for you.

Up until this time, I have been using the FPVLR antennas and while I have found no real issues with them, I wanted to try the Itelite system as I have heard some very good reviews about it. While people are claiming a solid connection out to 3miles, this is not the reason I wanted to get it as I struggle to see why anyone responsible would want to fly out that far.

Also, if you are thinking of upgrading the antenna system on the ST16, then it may also be worth looking into upgrading the antennas on the YTH as well, not so much for video, but for your radio and telemetry.

I've recently purchased and fitted the Itelite 3 antenna connection kit to my original ST16. It isn't that hard of a job to do and it takes the 2.4 antenna (for telemetry - which is inside the ST16) and adds it to the existing two antenna connections that are already on the top of the ST16.

Up until this time, I have been using the FPVLR antennas and while I have found no real issues with them, I wanted to try the Itelite system as I have heard some very good reviews about it. While people are claiming a solid connection out to 3miles, this is not the reason I wanted to get it as I struggle to see why anyone responsible would want to fly out that far.

Also, if you are thinking of upgrading the antenna system on the ST16, then it may also be worth looking into upgrading the antennas on the YTH as well, not so much for video, but for your radio and telemetry.
Thanks ArnhemAnt. Good info. I did order the Itelite yesterday. I got the three connection one so I can upgrade when the warrantee expires on my unit. Thanks again.

Happy to help in any way I can.

Also, if you own the 'standard' H, then it may be worthwhile doing the upgrade on that as well. No point going half way with it, in my opinion.

Hi, I've been lurking - searching and researching. I bought a H (my 1st uav) a few months ago and I have been researching various upgrades. After just a few flights my priority is an antenna upgrade. I'm not interested in gaining outrageous range - I just want strength, consistency and reliability. I'm curious if you found the Itelite system to be a major improvement over the FPVLR antennas? If you had the option, would you have just started with the Itelite? It sounds like you were basically satisfied with the FPVLR antennas - is there something specific you didn't like as far as design or function? Were you happy with the signal? Thanks

Hi etarran - good questions. Firstly, with the FPVLR antenna's, yes I was happy with them and didn't experience anything too bad in regards to signal over the distances that I fly out to. My only 'gripe' with them is the connection. When screwed down, the antenna is not firm and can move about (spin) on the mount. No big problem as a little section of heat shrink over the sma fixed that.
The main reason I went to the Itelite design was for two things. Firstly, it allowed me to bring the additional 2.4 antenna out of the ST16 and secondly, the reports on the signal strength were very good. My only 'gripe' so far is that I couldn't be bothered removing the Itelite unit each time I fly so it won't fit in my case. Problem easily solved by purchasing a smaller case that now houses the ST16 with the Itelite.

In hindsight, I am happy that I have tried both and I am also happy that I have settled with the Itelite system. Also, if you want to maximise your signal strength and consistency, then I would also recommend the antenna upgrade to the YTH as well.
Keep in mind that, to maximise the effectiveness of the Itelite antenna, it needs to be pointed towards the H.

PS: if you are interested in the FPVLR antenna's instead, send me a PM. I'll send them to you as long as you cover postage. I have no need for them.

Hi etarran - good questions. Firstly, with the FPVLR antenna's, yes I was happy with them and didn't experience anything too bad in regards to signal over the distances that I fly out to. My only 'gripe' with them is the connection. When screwed down, the antenna is not firm and can move about (spin) on the mount. No big problem as a little section of heat shrink over the sma fixed that.
The main reason I went to the Itelite design was for two things. Firstly, it allowed me to bring the additional 2.4 antenna out of the ST16 and secondly, the reports on the signal strength were very good. My only 'gripe' so far is that I couldn't be bothered removing the Itelite unit each time I fly so it won't fit in my case. Problem easily solved by purchasing a smaller case that now houses the ST16 with the Itelite.

In hindsight, I am happy that I have tried both and I am also happy that I have settled with the Itelite system. Also, if you want to maximise your signal strength and consistency, then I would also recommend the antenna upgrade to the YTH as well.
Keep in mind that, to maximise the effectiveness of the Itelite antenna, it needs to be pointed towards the H.

PS: if you are interested in the FPVLR antenna's instead, send me a PM. I'll send them to you as long as you cover postage. I have no need for them.
All good info - thanks. Quite a few people mention the necessity for aiming or facing towards the H. Isn't this required regardless of the antenna?
I will PM you regarding the FPVLR antennae - thanks!
I am planning on doing the antenna mod on the H itself - I'm sure you have seen the YouTube video? I think bringing the antenna out of the H and using a higher strength antenna makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping that using the FPVLR antenna and moding the H will get me to where I want to be.
Thanks again.
-e

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy