Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Longer (6mm & 8mm) PixAero Lenses Now Available!

The photos from the stock lens were a nice surprise to me as well.

Maybe this stock lens was refocussed in the process.....?

The photos from the stock lens were a nice surprise to me as well.

Maybe this stock lens was refocussed in the process.....?

No, it is completely stock as far as I know. It's one I the three cameras I got from the USA and I haven't fiddled with it. It is rather good.:D The lens in my first CGO3+ was also sharp, but suffered from a colour cast. That was the main reason I replaced it, but also because I fly around water a lot and the Pixaero seemed to be good at rejecting reflections. This property would probably be attributable to the lens coatings and may be tied into the cool colour cast of the images.

Richard Gilmore has looked at the photos and has offered to adjust the Pixaero 3.77mm. He queried the labelling on the photos, so I checked and confirm they are correct.:)

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my PixAero 3.77... after my warranty covered crash from last May, the re-assembled camera demonstrated considerable softness on the right side, when returned from Yuneec... I subsequently had to re-send the camera back to CD for re-adjustment.

I had a similar issue with my PixAero 3.77... after my warranty covered crash from last May, the re-assembled camera demonstrated considerable softness on the right side, when returned from Yuneec... I subsequently had to re-send the camera back to CD for re-adjustment.

Just curious... if you don't mind... what did CD charge to refocus the lens?

I made some flights yesterday with a view to comparing CGO3+ lenses.
The lenses were a stock Yuneec lens, Carolina Dronz (CD) 3.77mm, Pixaero 3.77mm, Pixaero 6mm and Peau 8.25mm. Dngs were shot at 100 ISO, natural, sunny and 1/400s settings. Ambient light appeared quite consistent. The camera was pointed straight down and photos taken at three altitudes, 5m, 10m and 15m as indicated on the ST16s display. I did not have time to make comarison videos.
The dng photos are here;
Camera comparison 17 Feb18 for Yuneec Pilots.zip
I'm not Mac based and the files won't open on my PC. Any chance they can be converted into a non Mac platform? Windows 10 does not support Safari. Or am I not doing something correctly to open them?!?!?

I'm not Mac based and the files won't open on my PC. Any chance they can be converted into a non Mac platform? Windows 10 does not support Safari. Or am I not doing something correctly to open them?!?!?

DNG is a RAW file format for photos. Its not related to the Safari browser. You'll need photo software that handles RAW files to see them or someone to convert them to JPGs for you. I'm not familiar with photo software for Windows 10 if it came with something that can handle RAW. If it does you can download the DNG files and open them on your Win 10 machine.

DNG is a RAW file format for photos. Its not related to the Safari browser. You'll need photo software that handles RAW files to see them or someone to convert them to JPGs for you. I'm not familiar with photo software for Windows 10 if it came with something that can handle RAW. If it does you can download the DNG files and open them on your Win 10 machine.

THANKS for your help in my idiocy I forgot to unzip the file and that's what was the hangup. Just another example of pilot error!

Great suggestion, Pat. One I completely overlooked. I'm so hooked into Photoshop and Lightroom I often forget about the converter.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 10.2

Thanks. The photo codec thing can get pretty complicated. A Win10 machine won't open a RAW file unless we obtain the RAW codec and install the ,exe file in the system's Program files. Even afterwards some of the Win10's photo programs won't open a RAW/DNG file. On mine only the "Photos" program will open one. I don't have Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom but I'll assume the path they use may not be shared with other Win10 photo programs , which may bypass programs like Photoshop and Lightroom and therefore not "see" the RAW codec within them.

It gets even more crazy when trying to open the version of the Panasonic Lumix RW2 codec used for the CGO-4. Even after downloading the RW2 codec the only program I have that will open one of those files is the Photoscape program designed for Windows we can download. None of the base Windows photo viewing programs will open one, at best suggesting you make a jpeg copy in order to view one. It can be frustrating, especially when you encounter a Windows pop up note stating your Win10 system does not contain an OS that will allow the RW2 codec and Microsoft has not bothered to write code that will incorporate an RW2 codec. if you have Lightroom or Photoshop you can work with the RW2 codec though. Major PITA.

I'm not geek enough to understand how all of it works and stuck with trial and error method to arrive at something that makes it happen...

Last edited:
Here's the latest update on my pixAero 6mm lens swap in my trusty old CGO3+:
I cleaned most of the adhesive off of the sensor board. The longer Peau mount fits more snugly around the sensor. That's probably good to help avoid light leakage under the mount (without adhesive). After installing everything except the black camera covers, I started up the camera on the ActionCam handle, I made a coarse lens adjustment using the cell phone screen. While doing this, the gimbal was complaining (buzzing) a bit because the camera is out of balance without the black covers. Then, with markings on some tape wrapped around an exposed area of the mount, I took photos of the same scene keeping track of the lens position according to the marks. After checking the photos on my 4K monitor, I found the coarse adjustment was the best, so I went to shoot some more photos with even finer lens adjustments (turning about +/- 1mm on circumference of lens). Now the gimbal would not work center itself. It just flashed red and beeped 4 long beeps followed by 3 short beeps. The next time I turned on the camera, the gimbal made no noise and was completely limp. However, the camera worked so I made the fine adjustments to the lens and examined the photos. I'm really pleased with the camera results. But I've done something to kill the gimbal. It behaved the same on the ActionCam and the TH. Any ideas what's wrong?

Oh yes, one more thing. The stock black lens mount has a coated glass plate that covers the sensor. The new Peau mount does not have anything between the lens and the sensor. I wonder why Yuneec used a coated glass plate over the sensor.

CODEC is just a geek word for a piece of code that can munch (encode/decode) on digital data. Some photo editors don't call them CODECs but rather "profiles".

DNG is an open standard created by Adobe and shared freely with the world because they got tired of every camera manufacturer creating proprietary RAW file formats. It hasn't received widespread use in the digital camera industry. Old habits from Canon, Nikon, etc. fall hard.

A RAW file is just data from the camera sensor that has not been manipulated in any specific way. It has received no color corrections, lens corrections, exposure corrections, etc. It's just data as the sensor saw things. Pure form digital photo. Unintelligible until converted to a useful format. That's where the DNG Converter comes into the action. Among other things it can convert that RAW data to a useful form such as JPG but you'll have to dig through the options and then rename the file extension after conversion to .jpg

Oh yes, one more thing. The stock black lens mount has a coated glass plate that covers the sensor. The new Peau mount does not have anything between the lens and the sensor. I wonder why Yuneec used a coated glass plate over the sensor.

Perhaps as a IR filter

Just curious... if you don't mind... what did CD charge to refocus the lens?

There were some other services that affected my final price, however I'm sure that such an adjustment would normally be in the $50 - $75 range.

Thanks. The photo codec thing can get pretty complicated. A Win10 machine won't open a RAW file unless we obtain the RAW codec and install the ,exe file in the system's Program files. Even afterwards some of the Win10's photo programs won't open a RAW/DNG file. On mine only the "Photos" program will open one. I don't have Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom but I'll assume the path they use may not be shared with other Win10 photo programs , which may bypass programs like Photoshop and Lightroom and therefore not "see" the RAW codec within them.

It gets even more crazy when trying to open the version of the Panasonic Lumix RW2 codec used for the CGO-4. Even after downloading the RW2 codec the only program I have that will open one of those files is the Photoscape program designed for Windows we can download. None of the base Windows photo viewing programs will open one, at best suggesting you make a jpeg copy in order to view one. It can be frustrating, especially when you encounter a Windows pop up note stating your Win10 system does not contain an OS that will allow the RW2 codec and Microsoft has not bothered to write code that will incorporate an RW2 codec. if you have Lightroom or Photoshop you can work with the RW2 codec though. Major PITA.

I'm not geek enough to understand how all of it works and stuck with trial and error method to arrive at something that makes it happen...

I have an ancient version of Photoshop (CS2) that does not recognize the DNG format. (Don't laugh, I'm still using Office 2000. o_O) To work around this issue, I use a third party image conversion program called Pixillion, to convert the DNG files to uncompressed TIF files. Since it is from one uncompressed format to another uncompressed format, I do not believe there is any quality loss. The TIF file sizes are very close to the original DNGs, supporting this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder