Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Longer (6mm & 8mm) PixAero Lenses Now Available!

Can anyone here help me diagnose my gimbal problem? While working on the new pixAero lens and Peau mount installation, I must have disturbed something. First, the gimbal worked but buzzed due to being out of balance with the black covers removed. Then it beeped 4 long and 3 short, struggled but would not move. Then it went completely limp, silent and no attempt to move. I have been unable to find a key to the beep codes. The camera works fine and the wiring and ribbon cable look OK. I need help finding the source of the problem.

CarolinaDronz has a basic camera labor fee of $150.00 posted on their website.

Service for Drone Camera

Thanks, Pat. I looks like if you buy the Carolina Dronz Lens for $89 they'll install it for $140.

Carolina Dronz Upgrade Lens 82 Degrees for Yuneec Typhoon H CGO3, CGO3+

Note: this is an 82 degree FOV 3.77mm lens vs the Yuneec lens is 115 degree FOV 14mm (from the info I can find). That just doesn't make much sense to me. I relate a lens by its focal length (3.77mm and 14mm). How could a shorter focal length lens have a smaller FOV?

Last edited:
That may be due to differences in how security camera lenses are described versus photography lenses. The H camera isn’t really anything more than a modified security camera.

CarolinaDronz has a basic camera labor fee of $150.00 posted on their website.

Service for Drone Camera

I think there is some flexibility in that... $150 fee is based on having to open up your camera, remove the stock lens, clean off all the glue retaining the original lens, and then mount and refocus the replacement lens. Simply making a refocus of an already existing replacement lens will inherently involve much less labor time. Of course if they did the original swap of the lenses, it is likely they will give you a better price.

Can anyone here help me diagnose my gimbal problem? While working on the new pixAero lens and Peau mount installation, I must have disturbed something. First, the gimbal worked but buzzed due to being out of balance with the black covers removed. Then it beeped 4 long and 3 short, struggled but would not move. Then it went completely limp, silent and no attempt to move. I have been unable to find a key to the beep codes. The camera works fine and the wiring and ribbon cable look OK. I need help finding the source of the problem.
After waiting for someone on this forum or Yuneec USCS to offer help, I did a deeper Google search for any information about dead Yuneec gimbals. Not much. The best help was from a Turkish individual on YouTube. I used an online translator to understand the discussion. He(?) indicated that if any gimbal axis is faulty, the whole system shuts down. That prompted me to take things apart again to see if I missed something. The horizontal axis wires are right there in the camera enclosure. Didn't see anything obviously wrong. Also, I discovered that during the first disassembly and reassembly process I had inadvertently rotated the gimbal about its horizontal axis over 360-deg. It acts as though there are some wires inside the joint that wind up. After finding the most center loose position, I put camera assembly back together and IT WORKED! It would be nice if I knew exactly what was wrong but at this point I'm just glad it works.

Reactions: oliver and rdonson
Here's my flying comparisons of the pixAero 6mm lens vs. the stock lens. The first video is straight out of the cameras. The second is my post processing to make each video look its best. Please read the descriptions associated with each YT video.
The sharpness settings on the 2 cameras was not the same. The camera with stock lens; sharpness=5. The camera with pixAero lens; sharpness=6. Even with the greater sharpness of the pixAero camera, the image is not as sharp as it should be. I'll have to fiddle with focus a bit more. The other thing that is clear from watching uncropped videos is that the pixAero lens has a LOT of vignetting. I haven't yet found a way to fix that in my video editing software. Easy to fix in photos.

Here's my flying comparisons of the pixAero 6mm lens vs. the stock lens. The first video is straight out of the cameras. The second is my post processing to make each video look its best. Please read the descriptions associated with each YT video.
The sharpness settings on the 2 cameras was not the same. The camera with stock lens; sharpness=5. The camera with pixAero lens; sharpness=6. Even with the greater sharpness of the pixAero camera, the image is not as sharp as it should be. I'll have to fiddle with focus a bit more. The other thing that is clear from watching uncropped videos is that the pixAero lens has a LOT of vignetting. I haven't yet found a way to fix that in my video editing software. Easy to fix in photos.
The Pix in the second video looked good but was washed out on the first video. I liked the zoom on the Pix. lenses. I have a an 8mm PEAU being installed now! Thanks for doing the comparison.

The Pix in the second video looked good but was washed out on the first video. I liked the zoom on the Pix. lenses. I have a an 8mm PEAU being installed now! Thanks for doing the comparison.
Yes, the pixAero seem to be a bit too light. These lenses are installed on 2 CGO3+ cameras so there may be some differences there. Bear in mind that these were shot with Raw image setting. I did later flights with the 6mm camera and set the exposure properly and Natural image setting. They look better. But the Raw video fixes up quite nicely in post.
Notice that the gimbal has no trouble keeping the image steady even though it's magnified about 2x.

Reactions: pctyphoon
Thank you for this comparison. I just got my 2nd CGO3+ and a PixAreo 6mm is ordered. The 6mm lens should arrive in the next two weeks.
I do Have a question about using multiple cameras on the H. Once the CGO3+ has been bound to the ST16 can you simply swap out the one camera for the other or do I need to rebind the camera every time I change lenses?

Thank you for this comparison. I just got my 2nd CGO3+ and a PixAreo 6mm is ordered. The 6mm lens should arrive in the next two weeks.
I do Have a question about using multiple cameras on the H. Once the CGO3+ has been bound to the ST16 can you simply swap out the one camera for the other or do I need to rebind the camera every time I change lenses?
Yes. You select System Settings and wait for the TH to find and list the other camera, select it and hit Bind. There's no password required. It's pretty easy and fast.
Please share your results with your 6mm lens. A direct comparison with stock is best.
Are you doing the lens swap or having someone else do it?

I plan on doing it myself. I watched a great video (in German which I, fortunately, understand fairly well) on YouTube that shows How to do it. My only concern was that the 2nd hand CGO3+ I bought might be one of the early models with the hairfine wires attached to the circuit board.First thing I did when the camera arrived in the mail today was to open the case. I was glad to see that it was a new model with the folded over wide ribbon. Should not be a problem.

I plan on doing it myself. I watched a great video (in German which I, fortunately, understand fairly well) on YouTube that shows How to do it. My only concern was that the 2nd hand CGO3+ I bought might be one of the early models with the hairfine wires attached to the circuit board.First thing I did when the camera arrived in the mail today was to open the case. I was glad to see that it was a new model with the folded over wide ribbon. Should not be a problem.

I had 2 unexpected issues to deal with:
First, the black lens mount was glued down very tight. It fought me the whole way. I had to be extremely careful when scraping off the adhesive not to damage the embedded circuits that are just below the thin top coating on the sensor board. Also, I was careful not to put any stress on the ribbon cable.
Second, the stock lens mount and the one supplied with the lens by pixAero were not long enough to allow focusing of the 6mm lens. I ordered a longer lens mount from PeauProductions that worked fine.
I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.

I read on the forum that someone had complained to PixAero that the mount was not long enough. Apparently, they replaced it with a longer mount. I would think that after this they would be aware of the problem and ship the longer mount by default. But just in case I will email them and ask. if they are still shipping the wrong one I can get a head start with them replacing it.

The current Pixaero 6mm advert on Ebay is still showing the short mount. 6mm PixAero lens For Yuneec Typhoon H CGO3+ and other | eBay
I have written to PixAero and asked them if they now substitute the taller mount for the shorter one pictured in the ad. in addition I told them if this was not the case they should send me the taller mount, as the lens could otherwise not be focused. It would be very strange if they had not made this correction by this point in time especially considering it's being shipped directly from the factory.
I will keep you all informed as to what they reply.

I have written to PixAero and asked them if they now substitute the taller mount for the shorter one pictured in the ad. in addition I told them if this was not the case they should send me the taller mount, as the lens could otherwise not be focused. It would be very strange if they had not made this correction by this point in time especially considering it's being shipped directly from the factory.
I will keep you all informed as to what they reply.
I notified them on Feb. 11th about the problem and asked for a longer mount. Nothing yet, but it takes quite a while to get things from Russia. That's why I ordered one from PeauProductions which came quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech